Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th December 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Per

Default Kites ruled out of speed record bid...!!

Hi.
The 50 knot speed barrier was broken several times this year by kiters.
In the january edition of Yachting World an article claims that ISAF has stated that a kite can not hold the speed record. The discussion seems to be whether a kite is a craft or not.
Nonsense to me - of cource it is and the record is theirs -...
Anybody know more??

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Floyd

I read somewhere the govening body had ratified the initial record. On a further breaking of the recrd later in year they decided the kite/board was not a sailing craft (what is it then?) and refused to accept the later record.(Argument revolved around kite supporting board hence not totally "watercraft".
This infact set a precedent for a governing body.They had to (have to?) go back and un-ratify a previous record they`d originally passed.The kiters held record officially for a few months. Not sure what situation is now but pretty certain later speeds of over 50knots were not ratified but earlier ones were originally.(But not now !) Antoine still holds record officially but perhaps we might be un-ratified if we break 50knots !? (Which he did on 2 econd average !!!)
Time we settled argumment ?! (Before Hydroptere does ?!)

Kiters did fantastic.Think it was in only (only ??) 35 knots !! (Its on Youtube)
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Unregistered

All history. They ratified it in the meantime (see www.speedworldcup.com).

Now its up to us to get the record back !
Old 25th December 2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Per

Yup, it belong to the kiters again - great and fair.
Great too to read about Hydroptere clocking 61 (!!!) knots before a crash... It will be a serious challenger to the 100 km/h record... Anyway it's a space rocket compared to a windsurfer or kiter..

;-)
Per
Old 26th December 2008, 05:50 AM   #5
Philip

Thought the debate had to do with water depth. There is a discussion in the Windsurfing School forum about the 'ground effect'. Idea is that kiteboards could operate on a thin film of water that acts as a lubricant whereas other sailing craft needed more draft where the deeper water means that the craft has to overcome the drag of the water fluid. The minimum water depth appears to be 50cm for a record to be recognised.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Unregistered

fuck off with you pussy kite
Old 26th December 2008, 05:45 PM   #7
Floyd

Default 61 knots ???

I know Hydroptere is fast but dont think its 61 knots fast. If I`d seen 61 knots on my GPS after a wipeout (or during ?) think I`d put it down to "fall" !
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Per

I agree 61 knots sounds unrealistic.To my experience a two knots difference is a lot and takes a lot of trimming and effort (and luck) to get. To suddenly get a ten knots difference in a gust seems like a technical mistake in the GPS or somewhere else.
Anyway the discussion about what is a craft and how to break these records is relevant.
When are we sailing or flying? What is a vessel and when is it only wind driven? Doesn't Hydroptere have a little bit of hydraulic or electric systems on board to help control it and won't this disqualify it as a wind only driven vessel as it then becomes a machine?

;-)
Per
Old 27th December 2008, 04:04 AM   #9
Philip

So can we have post #6 removed please.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Russell

Speed sailing was originally sailing boats and one of the early ones was Jacob's ladder, a tornado catamaran hull with a stack of kites and did some impressive speeds for then.

So I am pleased to hear that they have accepted the kites again as they would have had to cancel Jacob's ladder as well.

When windsurfers broke the record they changed everything as I feel kites have done the same this autumn.

They are new to speed, they have not even started developing speed kites. They have only just started developing specific boards. The thing that impressed me was that they are doing consistent speeds and runs. At present I think that they will be leading the speed challenge as windsurfers did in the past. Cheep and easy to develop quickly.

Hydrotere is impressive but Sail Rocket for me is the most efficient craft and will lead the boat challenge as it is achieving incredible speeds in the lower winds.

So how is the windsurfing community going to reply.

Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote