Old 10th January 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Vincef

Default We need YOUR help !

Dear all,

You can help us to save windsurfing in our most popular beach down here in France.

The county and some administration decided to close the beach in next few months to all activities without any mediation with beach users.

No more windsurfing nor Kitesufing.

This beach, called "la vieille nouvelle" hosts every year the biggest windusrfing race in the world known as Defi Wind. 800 racers on the staring line with all pros from all over the World.

About the event
http://www.mauisails.com/pp.php?type=g&id=14

How could you help us ?

Just send a mail like this one :
" I ask that the access to the beach as known as "la Vieille Nouvelle" remains in free acces for windsurfers and kitesurfers "

E-mail address: pln.windsurf@free.fr

We have already close to 1000 signatures but we need more from all over the world to be lsitened !

Don't wait another minute to help us !

Thank you for your support !

Thank you Svein and Starboard team for letting this post on your forum

A bientôt
Vincent

Last edited by Vincef; 10th January 2009 at 07:15 PM.
Vincef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
geo

Well done Vince.
In my experience, beach access is already much probematic here in Italy too.
I am convinced that this is one of the worst problems the industry will have to face if it is willing to continue to grow an healthy market: worse that the financial crisis itself.
Windsurfers short on money will spend less, but ex-windsurfers with no beaches left to sail from will spend nothing at all; and, in my experience at least, beach access is getting more and more problematic year by year.
We need some kind of association to defend our rights; pity our is an individualists' sport, which results in collective reactions that are too slow and ineffective, if any. Probably national distributors are the right level to care about such associations: after all it's in their own interest.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Floyd

Unhappy la Vieille Nouvelle

Yes well done .
Seems a strange stand for authority to take in that region.Watersports generate loads of jobs/income for the region. Its plain ridiculous.
Floyd
Have sent email. Will get friends to do same.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Vincef

Thank you Floyd and Giu !

Local authorities went a bit too fast to make their decision... That why we have to be faster and stronger to get a real mediation !
Old 11th January 2009, 06:16 AM   #5
steveC

Not to be devisive, but why did the authorities elect to close the beach to access? That's not clear here, and it really should be.

In my county, governmental forces have chosen to close beach access to some venues for certain for environmental reasons, but it's associated with an endangered species. Much of that is because folks bring certain breeds of dogs to the beach.

Certainly questions should be filled in here, particularly if government involvement and action is at the root of the problem.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 06:50 AM   #6
willy

Hi Vincef,
already sent the email and my friends in Argentina will do so as wel.
All beaches in the world should be open to wind sports as don't make polution as motor sports, of course taking care of people enjoing the beach.
Willy Lakes
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 08:02 AM   #7
John Kemsley

Bonjour

Sent email

John
John Kemsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 09:39 AM   #8
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincef View Post

Just send a mail like this one :
" I ask that the access to the beach as known as "la Vieille Nouvelle" remains in free acces for windsurfers and kitesurfers "
Hi Vince, I sent the e-mail but as a side comment: I am not sure how wise it to include kitesurfers in the call to open the beach. It might be unavoidable and politically impossible not do otherwise but the truth is that Kites have a huge footprint compared to windsurf. A single Kite takes more room then a good size sailboat and it is often a real danger on the beach ... I personally would be happy to see kites gone from some locations: they cause too many problems both on the beach and in navigation.

Last edited by davide; 11th January 2009 at 09:45 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 11:37 PM   #9
Vincef

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Not to be devisive, but why did the authorities elect to close the beach to access? That's not clear here, and it really should be.

In my county, governmental forces have chosen to close beach access to some venues for certain for environmental reasons, but it's associated with an endangered species. Much of that is because folks bring certain breeds of dogs to the beach.

Certainly questions should be filled in here, particularly if government involvement and action is at the root of the problem.
Hi Steve,

The beach is HUGE, 10 km long an 1 km wide... A lot of room for everybody. In summertime, windsurfers have to sail outside a 300 meters limit, which is the law. Not problem here.

The problem is that the access to the beach is going to be closed to all vehicles without any solution for windsurfers or other beach users. No parking area, nothing...

In the near future and if nothing happens, there will be more than 30 kilometers of beach withoout any access...

There are basic and cheap solutions. To discuss these solutions, we need to be listened by some autorithies to get a fair mediation.

That's why we are asking for your help.

Thank you for your attention.
Thank you for your support.

Cheers
Vincent

Last edited by Vincef; 11th January 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12th January 2009, 12:50 AM   #10
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post

Steve, not to be devise but in a democracy we are the government: government is good! leave things to individuals and you get some pretty nasty ... crashes!

... and we can be pretty sure that there is a quite clear distinction between "endangerd spieces" (of which there are tens of thousands on the planet) and "certain breeds of dog" (?!). I never heard of a beach closed because of dogs, most often (at least in California) dogs are kicked out of beaches because they poop (and bite) while the owners scream about ... the government!

Last edited by davide; 12th January 2009 at 01:01 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote