Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 12th January 2009, 05:04 AM   #11
Floyd

Unhappy

Hi
Lets not complicate the issue.Closing the beach to us windsurfers is WRONG. (Actually agree kitesurfers can produce problems/danger in confined areas) but mentioned beach is massive. We should be infuriated into action.
This is not unique.(Try sailing on Feurte Speed course out of competition time !! or launching in Maui when surfers are out !!!)

I`ve emailed again.(from different email address)
Take care and email otherwise we`ll be paying to launch at designated areas.!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 02:34 AM   #12
steveC

Thanks Vincent for your further clarification of the situation. Sounds to me like practical discussion and a reasonable negotiation is needed. Although I live thousands of miles away, I will send off an E-Mail to support this noteworthy cause.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 02:49 AM   #13
steveC

Hi davide,

My goal in my earlier post wasn't meant to be a slight to dogs or their owners, but I thought I would clarify my previous comments.

The beach that was closed was Surf beach located west of Lompoc, CA, and the endangered species was the Snowy Plover, which is a shorebird that nests in the dunes and feeds along the shoreline. As I'm sure you've witnessed in the past as I have, some dog breeds will readily chase birds up and down the beach for hours. Not all dogs do this, but some are more inclined and excited by the action. Most of the time it doesn't amount to much, but in this situation the authorities felt it would threaten the Snowy Plover's feeding and nesting habits. The beach closure really didn't sit well with Lompoc's residents, because Surf is their only close beach access. Their only nearby alternative was Jalama Beach which is 20 miles away.
Old 13th January 2009, 02:59 AM   #14
Vincef

Thank you for your support !
Vincef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 03:07 AM   #15
steveC

Vincent,

I just wanted to say that I just sent off the following E-Mail.

"I ask that the access to the beach as known as "la Vieille Nouvelle" remain open and free for windsurfers, kitesurfers and other interested beach users. Beach access is an extremely important issue that affects many, and I'm sure that a workable solution can be reached to protect the interests of all beach users. I live in a beach community, and I've been involved in watersports for most of my life, and I highly value the resource and opportunities that beaches provide to all."
Old 14th January 2009, 01:19 AM   #16
Vincef

Thank you Steve ! Excellent !

If you don't mind, I will use as an example the begining of you mail for other english spoken people. It sounds a way much more proper english than mine !

"I ask that the access to the beach as known as "la Vieille Nouvelle" remain open and free for windsurfers, kitesurfers and other interested beach users. Beach access is an extremely important issue that affects many, and I'm sure that a workable solution can be reached to protect the interests of all beach users"

Cheers
Vincent
Vincef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 04:31 AM   #17
steveC

Have no difficulty whatsoever if you elect to use my comments in the future. Overall, I hope that you folks can overcome this beach access problem. Frankly, it's very disturbing when the authorities take unilateral actions without responsible public discussion and interaction. Best of luck in your efforts, and please keep us apprised of how things work out.