Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th January 2009, 03:45 AM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Haiko,

OK, your dad wants more planing TOW. Fair enough. What's the wind range he's aiming at with his 85 kg weight ?

SteveC made a very good point. How would you describe the skills of your father : expert, advanced, intermediate or beginner? Harness, footstraps, jibing and waterstart 100% proficient or still working on some problems? Be honnest with your assessment, especially when you said "but it's a beginner board and he's not progressing anymore (big railwidth so the board is like impossible to waterstart and because of it's lenth and volume it's hard to jibe)."

I fear the iSonic is a true race-slalom machine whereas the Futura might be more freeride user-friendly and easier to make progress on, so a bit of caution about going after an iSonic wouldn't hurt if your dad still appreciates the gentle manners of the NTrance entry-level board ( similar to the Rio L entry-level).

WRT sail size, I'm sorry but it's a bit unclear tome. What are his own sail size range he's currently using ? Types of sails (racing/freerace/freeride)?
Has he tried your 8.8m2 sail yet ? Happy or not happy with that sizing and handling ?
Has he tried a jumbo 10+ sqm sail yet ? Is he skilled enough to pump such a big sail in low wind and be happy about the handling?

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 19th January 2009 at 04:15 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 01:47 AM   #12
crazychemical

level: beginner intermediate
current TOW: 14 days a year max (cuz of the crap winds he tends to catch when he's out)
sailrange: my sails so 4.2-8.8 but considering that he's never caught a 4.7 day i'd say more like 5.5-8.8
most used sail is a 6.2 but thats mainly my fault cuz i claim the bigger sails.
he tried the 8.8 which is full cambered and liked it a lot except the bottom camber doesn't flip. He hasn't tried bigger but he's a quick study and in great shape.
My recommendations to him would be to go 6.2-11 to maximise his TOW.
In the end, it's up to him and i won't bug him too much about it seeing as he lives far from a spot and investing is really a thing of break and replace for him. But he talked about moving closer to a low wind spot so i was looking around a bit.
my curiosity simply snapped when i saw this Ftype for sale and couldn't find it in later boardranges anymore.

thx for the tips dudes

i'm going to heat myself up now, the water was freezing today (4C) and i spend a lot of time in it cuz the wind fell.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Haiko,

As a "beginner intermediate with current TOW of only 14 days a year max", I frankly don't see your dad making huge waterstarting and jibing progress on an iSonic 155 with an 11m2 sail. This is really too big a step IMvvvHO.

I would look more into the GO 175 kind of board that are specifically designed for beginner/intermediate wanting to make easy progresses and improve their skills on a user-friendly board, but that is yet not ridiculous at all for an advanced skilled rider to go chasing light/medium wind puffs with a freerace 2-3 cambered 10.x sail as skills further and further improve on the same gear.

Forget the racing-slalom gear for a while IMvvvHO. I will ask for Roger to churn in his invaluable opinion here. Please, stay tuned.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi CC and JM,
I pretty much agree with Jean-Marc here.
The big Isonic has the float, and with a skilled rider, it goes in very light winds, but
one of the larger GO boards or the larger Futura's (they are the same shape I think, just
different constructions and weight....i.e. Toughskin (very heavy and durable) vs Technora (lighter with good durability) or Wood (lightest, with similar durability to the Technora.
If your beginner/intermediate dad is not progressing on the NTrance (very heavy and fairly narrow) the Go or Futura 155 (similar rockerline with the Isonics) would make alot more sense to me.
Just because it's an Isonic is not really the problem, but durability issues may be.
I'd vote for the lightest Futura 155 you can afford, or the Go 175 (which he will "outgrow" sooner).
At his skill level, I'd invest in a nose guard for sure as moving to larger sails normally means more "trips over the front" and damage to the nose of the board.
As far as rig size, if he's most comfortable on a 6.2 m2 I wouldn't saddle him with larger than a 7.5 m2 (especially if he's wanting to learn to waterstart and jibe) until he has a few more skills mastered with the smaller rig.
85 Kg. is not that heavy, and if you invest in a 7.5-8.5 m2 free race (3 cams or less or better still a no cam) rig with really good low end characteristics, the difference in early planing (vs 10.0 + m2) won't be much, but he'll be much more likely to pick up water starts, beach starts, and elementary flare jibes.
Sails I would suggest are the Sailworks Retro or the Severne NCX.
Or if you want a super powerful 7.5-8.5 with a cam or 2 look at the Severne Glide.
Low wind power (grunt) is what your dad needs in a light weight easy to handle rig, on a
significantly wider board than the NTrance, and without the added weight of the centerboard.
Oh, is he still using the centerboard to stay upwind?
He needs to get beyond "centerboard dependency" before working on waterstarts and flare jibes.
In any case, for a sailor at your dad's level, in not very windy conditions, wider is better, but the lighter weight is better also.
155 liters is more than enough vollume.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote