Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th January 2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

I have had the same kind of experience with both US and Powerbox as Ola above : only the tab of a US fin broke when hitting submerged rocks, with no damage to the board finbox whatsoever. Just bought another US fin at the local shop and I was ready to sail again 1hr later. Even saved the fin by retooling with a new metallic fin tab and a fair sanding job on the fin tip.
By contrast, the Powerbox of a freewave board was severely destroyed while hitting a rock, with substantial damage to the nearby tail and deck sandwich structure. Lost 1 week sailing while waiting for a crappy repair at the local shop.
From this day on, I only use US finboxed waveboards and convertible freewaveboards. End of story.

As for US finboxes being more prone to spinouting, cavitation or ventilation, this is a myth. Unless you're seriously considering speedsailing (US finboxes are indeed a fraction slower than TT or PB), the fin shape, flex, twist and its surface texture (i.e.,scratch-free!) is a much more important issue IMHO.

Finally, current fins used in today's freestyling are so small (i.e., small-scale sideway leverage efforts) that it doesn't hurt them at all whether they are installed in an US box or a Powerbox, unless you hit a submerged rock of course...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Waiting4wind

I think that asking on a starboard forum for preference of US box or Power box may be somewhat biased. I know that most of the people that I sail with that use powerbox (large majority in my location) don't consider Starboard for that reason. I think it's fine that Starboard choose to use the US box and many sailors will appreciate this option, however this will always exclude a notable segment of the market.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 07:26 PM   #13
nonopr

I think Starboard is right on spot with the fin box in these boards. Up to the 102 using US box is the perfect set up, this board is to be used in Waves up to this size, then for freeride they change the box in the bigger sizes to a tuttle. Plus there are a lot of good fins for freeride out there in US Box and Many more for waves.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:49 AM   #14
Screamer

I respect Ola's opinion (and I use a Kombat myself), however there are some arguments for the other side:
1. Kombat (or Kode) in sizes of around 105 lit would benefit from a powerbox imho (there are many reports that us box is not very well suited for fins larger than 30cm, for example)
2. Tuneability for riding waves is a valid argument especially for smaller boards in the range. But it may detract from bump/jump mode, which is where these boards are used most imho. Besides, I believe there are several very maneuverable/wavey fsw boards on the market (even more so than the Kombat/Kode), and they don't seem to suffer from powerbox fins in their larger sizes.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:28 AM   #15
nonopr

Default Kode US Fin Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
I respect Ola's opinion (and I use a Kombat myself), however there are some arguments for the other side:
1. Kombat (or Kode) in sizes of around 105 lit would benefit from a powerbox imho (there are many reports that us box is not very well suited for fins larger than 30cm, for example)
2. Tuneability for riding waves is a valid argument especially for smaller boards in the range. But it may detract from bump/jump mode, which is where these boards are used most imho. Besides, I believe there are several very maneuverable/wavey fsw boards on the market (even more so than the Kombat/Kode), and they don't seem to suffer from powerbox fins in their larger sizes.

Screamer the big Kode have a tuttle box, which is better than a powerbox more fin availbility. The Kode 112 and 122 has tuttle. More freeride oriented, but fast.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Screamer

As I've said, I think the most "problematic" size is 105, not the smallest nor the largest ones. This "problem" doesn't affect me cause I use K86, but it's what many people think.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 11:46 AM   #17
Todd Hume

Yo! Yeah interesting debate... there are definitely pros and cons of going Power, Tuttle or US box. Both sides of the argument have been well discussed so far.

I'm in agreement with the crew that back something other than the US box in those mid-sized boards i.e. the Kode 94 and 102. In my mind the Kode is the board that one would turn to when they are after a board that is going to cover as many diciplines, riding styles and sailing conditions as possible.

The light wind waveriders and freestylers are definitely good to go on the Kode 94 and 102, but as it stands these Kodes, with their US boxes, do tend to exclude the allround freeride/bump'n'jumpers. Yes the Kode 102 can be sailed with a 7.5m sail but can one achieve the board's potential lightwind/upwind performance from a 30cm US box fin? And say you were out on that 7.5 and 30cm US box fin and then the wind really picked up. How's the US box gunna handle a large sail in overpowered conditions?.......

Us NZers are also faced with the question of fin availablity. Very few importers stock larger sized US box fins here in Kiwiland. US Box wave fins - Sweet as. Powerbox wave/freestyle/freeride fins - sweet as. Tuttle Freeride/slalom/speed - yup sweet as. A reasonably sized, freeride-ish US box fin? Nope, sorry.

Is it Impossible Engineering to get a board to perform well in the diciplines of light wind wave, freestyle and freeride/bump'n'jump with a single fixed fin position? Perhaps it is?

I guess at the end of the day Starboard has done its research and placed its bets on how they think they are should set up the Kode in order to attract and satisfy as many potential customers as possible.

I'm super stoked on all my past and present Starboards so i guess i'm cool with the fact that i'm not their target market.

Todd
Todd Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Unregistered

I have always discarted most starboards in my selection in the past right away.
First they where to heavy, which now seems to be solved
Second they still use a 1970's us fin box system.

Soon I will be testing the Kode 103. Sounds like it could be the board for me to replace my JP freestyle 100 2006...? ( a little heavier still, but have to compare early planing, speed, jumping and carving, maybe gain some wave handling! don't do much freestyle ;-)
But not sure yet if I can overcome the US-box....
You are faced with this handicap each time you get the board out of the car or putting it back and it makes you less happy at those moments. Not good.

If Starboard would be using power box, I might have already owned one...
Now I own 6 suitable PB-fins already and 4 board they fit in, 2 used very often.

How easy is it to convert? Or to order with power box from the factory?

About the trim...that is the challange, to put the PowerBox at exactly the right position and maybe finetune the shape for this setup?

PS, in my windsurf history I crashed 2 powerbox fins high speed at stones, breaking them clear away, but never damaged the box itself.
Old 30th June 2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Unregistered

Exclamation Starboard fin boxes

On the topic of fin boxes from starboard I am also dissapointed. Early this year I bought a new quad 86 which I had big issues with the FCS fin system, it simply would not keep the fins in place, I could not believe I was having a problem with a starboard board as every board I have owned has been starboard and I have never had a problem before. I returned the board and got a refund and then bought a 2009 evo 80. I am loving the evo and think it is by far starboards best waveboard to date.
Old 30th June 2010, 06:26 PM   #20
Unregistered

Talking

I post ed this message jan 2009. Sept is fast approaching when we get new boards in Australia. It would for three years running now Starboard missed my purchase in this 90-105 range. I still have the Kode 112 ( second board in this size ). being optomistic I haven't placed an order for a new FSW yet. I have a feeling that maybe this year they will be powerbox....oh shit. It was a dream. I better order my JP again.
ULF