Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th January 2009, 04:43 PM   #11
leysenkr

what is the "real" volume of a 101L Futura 2009?

Can't wait to get it out again!!! Still need 6 more (+- 4) now. Gggrrrrrrrrrr
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 07:31 PM   #12
mim

Default a small comment

I am 95 kg dry...no experience with futura, but I can tell you I can uphaul 8.5 2-cam sail on my Aero 117...this is really short, only 237cm...and what Roger says is very right. My front foot is almost touching mast foot and the back foot is at least on a half way between straps.

PS: and my sails is not fully carbon-equiped!

Go and try it, when it is not working, try harder. The same with waterstarting.
Ciao Michal.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 10:36 PM   #13
davide

Even if the 122L is accurate at 100Kg it would seem that you are borderline for floating with no worries ...

100 (weight) + 7-9 (board+fin+straps) + 3-4 (mast+mastfoot+extension) + 3-4 (boom+uphaul+ropes) + 4-5 (sail) + harness (3-4) + wetsuit (2-5) + booties/gloves/helmet (0-1) safetey-pack (0-3) = 100 + 22-34 = 122-135 Kg

In general I think that to be VERY comfortable one needs somewhat more volume then the total weight ... in your case the Futura 133 would seem a better choice ...

Last edited by davide; 24th January 2009 at 10:57 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 02:48 AM   #14
Alpina57

Default thanks for feedback

Thanks guys for all the feedback,I didn't expect to generate such interest. From what has been said it seems I should be ok with this size board but the consensus is that I could have maybe gone for the 133 for a larger flotation margin for uphauling..... I will also try the standing back further technique as maybe the slow forward movement when first uphauling was causing some of the submarining effect especially if the board was inclined downwards at the front. The sinking problem was apparent in very light wind and made me concerned that I had
a./ chosen the wrong board
b./ not much hope of self rescue if things went pear shaped(unless I ditched the rig.)
I'm thinking to just lose some weight, practise the water starts,and stick with it and I will start to enjoy the board given a little bit of time. I'd also be interested in any others who are a similar weight, similar board size and have had the same steep learning curve and succeeded with it. Thanks again.
Alpina57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 07:04 AM   #15
steveC

Alpina57,

You're right on thinking about learning the waterstart skill.

I'll be frank with you, I recently got a Serenity, that requires a necessary uphauling capabilty. I have to honestly say, I've been so dependent on waterstarting (I haven't used an uphaul in over 18 years), that I'm finding that uphauling is way more taxing and difficult at my age. I'm going to need to steel up a bit to become viable in building my uphauling skills, if my back can handle it (that's my dilemma).

It's almost funny, but I can easy handle an off the top 4.2 open ocean day on a 65 liter board with 10-12' rolling swell easier than a super light wind day on the Serenity.

Last edited by steveC; 25th January 2009 at 07:07 AM.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 10:01 AM   #16
wiindz

yeah, alpina57, i think your best bet is to A) practice uphauling in shallow water untill you get your foot work sorted out, if you still have trouble perhaps a bit of tape to mark where you think each foot should go according to the former attepts. this may look a litle funy, but it will help you get to the right possition faster in the start, and then later on when you are more acustomed to the board you can take it off...always nice to have a safety net and to B) learn how to water start because it is so much easier to water start then uphaul once you know how and if you ever want to get inot smaller boards (sinkers) it is essential. by the way, big board freeride might be fun, but nothing beets a sinker on a big day, lots and lots of good memories ;p
p.s. just out of nowhere, anybody know the actual volume on a 04 hypersonic "111"? thanks

Last edited by wiindz; 25th January 2009 at 10:03 AM.
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Screamer

Hey SteveC

The answer to your troubles is:
Never drop the rig ;-)

Seriously though, how do you like sailing (and gybing!) the Serenity?
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 03:57 PM   #18
Screamer

Alpina57

I've used a hyper (103 lit real volume) over a period of 3 years. I'm 86+kg and with a large rig it was next to impossible to uphaul, especially in swell. I remember a few very long swims from that period.
Waterstarting will not help if the wind drops to 2 knots and you're in the water. So if you're slogging and the wind is dying (watch it carefully while sailing), do everything you can NOT to drop the rig. You will become more comfortable with experience, but for your largest board + largest rig, it's always a good idea to have some extra volume.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 12:29 AM   #19
steveC

Hi Screamer,

So far I've only tried the Serenity one time so far, and unfortunately for me the wind totally shut off. I really went out too late in the day, so the session amounted to just a run out and back in (I actually had to swim it in the last 50 yards). From my run out, the Serenity seemed to move well in light wind, but I ultimately found that it really doesn't work so well in an absence of wind. However, I learned an important lesson in the effort. My next attempt will be much earlier in the day where I can depend on the wind holding up. Also, I'll use a smaller sail (a 7.1 instead of an 8.3) to initially get a better handle on things.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 09:19 AM   #20
wiindz

[QUOTE=Screamer;29444]Alpina57

I've used a hyper (103 lit real volume) over a period of 3 years. I'm 86+kg and with a large rig it was next to impossible to uphaul, especially in swell.

wich hyper was this screamer? the "105" or "111"??
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote