Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th January 2009, 12:26 PM   #21
Ulf

This has come up time and time agian. The Stype 93 I owned turned out to be 99 ltrs. It made the board very hard in really choppy and windy conditions. It limited my use of that board.
Starboard are well know for bull&%$# volume quotes. They think everyone is better off with virtual volumes. It doesn't matter so much until the volume is 10ltrs over your weight or under. Then it is truelly dissapointing. I've been caught on this a couple of times.
How hard is it to quote on the web site. Virtual Volume due to our advanced changes is Bla bla, and real Volume is Bla Bla.
I've ridden Starboard ( over 23 boards since 2000 ) and find this issue one of the most frustrating. When my dealer rings and asks for orders in April/ May I have to guess what to get as they arrive just as the season starts in September. August 16 ( ahead of US on the dateline)release is to late and still doesn't give the correct volumes.
I love starboards but need to get them one year later because of this issue. It cost them this year. I bought three new boards from another brand and only one Starboard. I got what I wanted this time with no surprises.
There is one other issue for me in the 90-100 ltrs Kodes but other than these two things Starboard would have an excellent range.
It is increadible that such a simple addition to the website is left out year after year.
For race boards look ISAF to get correct volumes. unfortunately it doesn't have wave or freeride boards.
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 01:35 PM   #22
Screamer

Ulf
I agree with you, they can call their models any way it suits marketing purposes (101-111-122-133 sounds good, eh), but they should also quote real volumes in the specs. It's not always the most important aspect but sometimes is.

Wiindz
It was 105 hyper, found that on isaf site, I think 111 was right on (but I'm not sure). Go see if they keep archives from 2004.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 02:48 PM   #23
Screamer

Wiindz

Here, go to season 2004/05 pdf
http://www.sailing.org/11672.php
Old 27th January 2009, 07:44 AM   #24
wiindz

great sudjestion for the isaf site, according to it the volume for this time is dead on, great resource in my openion as it should be by far the most acurate information you are going to get short of actualy figureing it all out by yourself... thanks for the comment on the other thread btw to check out for the around and between the strap area on wide boards as such, its been a great help ;p
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 01:51 PM   #25
Alpina57

So would the Starboard website folks consider putting some sort of a guide to the correct volume taking into account a riders experience level? this could be in a chart form with questions on whether the potential buyer can uphaul, waterstart, gybe, tack or whatever and from this and their body weight (taking into account whether a wetsuit is worn,whether a carbon mast,boom etc for rig weight) a guide to the correct volume board could be given within an educated guess of 5 litres or so ? Even in a downloadable spreadsheet form ? This would ensure more new board buyers,especially newbies would pick the right board and enjoy the sport ? The present "guide" simply asks what sort of sailing will you do(type of board) and leaves volume calculation completely up in the air......
Alpina57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 01:58 AM   #26
wiindz

sounds like a good plan, but you also have to consider what the conditions are gona be like, because the same sailor with the same set up might have allot of fun in say flat water but then when it gets choppy (about the same wind speed) then alterations must be made to the rig and depending what kind of board your on, maybe the straps and fin.. very diffucult to give an acurate volume calculation without taking all of these factors into acount, the only real way to do it is go to a test center and try out the boards, personal experiance is the nly way you can actualy know if the board will behave how you want it to or wont...
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 02:44 PM   #27
Alpina57

Default All sorted !!

Well well, it turns out that I actually DID order a 133 board,which I discovered for sure when I finally dug out the original receipt for the deposit which showed as a Futura 133 .
Somehow the wrong board(122) was sent from the national supplier to the local agent. They have sorted it now and I'm now getting a 133 sent ! the question remains WHY didn't I notice before...? It might sound strange but the agent didn't notice either, and on delivery of the 122 I wasn't quite sure what size I HAD ordered as I had been undecided between 133,144 or MAYBE a 122.... I also didn't have sails, boom or other rig components to go sailing until at least a month later so it was just sitting in the garage in bubble wrap !!!! That and being preoccupied with a divorce, moving house, Christmas and a heap of other stuff meant I wasn't really paying that much attention..... It's all good now though.... Just carefully check your rig and body weight,the type of sailing and where,and get the appropriate size volume board when buying..(which was the whole point of my original post ! )
Alpina57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:49 AM   #28
henry67

Default same problem with Kode 122

Hi Alpina,
I bought a Kode 122, very similar to futura 122 measures, and I have to say you that it is very very sinking with my 92kg, especially during tack transitions and static floating...
Using sails less than 7 meters it is not a problem, but over 7 it is less enjoyable.... for sure thinking to ride with an 8.5-9 I have to buy another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was not my first purpose...... I think the main problem is the volume distribution.... to much shifthed backward..... and the mast track a little bit much forward......
Cheers
Henry (Garda Lake)
henry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:20 PM   #29
Screamer

Henry
Kode122 is a manoeuvre oriented board and I believe a Futura of the same volume will "feel" a bit bigger. A lake board for 92kg rider and 9m rig ........ you surely need bigger or more importantly different type of board. I hope you didn't buy it solely on website recommended sail range ;-)

Last edited by Screamer; 22nd February 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:06 PM   #30
henry67

Screamer,
for sure I bought the kode 122 in order to use mainly with 6.7 and 5.7 (Simmer Iron 2009), but I also thought to a sail of 8-8.2 without cambers... and this possibility is really uncomfortable on that board....
On the other hand it is true that kode 122 is a very amazing board and I will not sell it before longtime.....
so I think I will look for an used slalom board and a sail very very big .... perhaps 9.5-10...
Cheers.
Henry
henry67 is offline   Reply With Quote