Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd February 2009, 07:15 PM   #11
honk

I changed from Streamline to Chinook bec the Streamline have the entire section inside the mast intact with the mast. We stored our sail rig up and this cause corrosion. Chinook only have the stopper and the very top section contact with mast

The Chinook bottom can be upgrade to a Air ball bearing system which will ease the downhaul. I have also not broken any Chinook extension so IMO , I feel Chinook is better than Streamline
honk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:50 PM   #12
nonopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I mean just in terms of the pull force required. I have read some people suggesting that they can downhaul race sails with the NP X6 by hand !?!?! But I find this hard to believe. I wonder if there is much difference in the pull required between the two.
YEs, The Neilpryde has a better rope and it slides better and downhaul is a bit easier. The new X6 from Neilpryde has that new pulley design with the rope integrated to the extension. Pretty nice.
Photos included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Extensions 008.jpg (23.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Extensions 009.jpg (27.1 KB, 52 views)
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 01:37 AM   #13
Egor

I have also changed from streamlined to X6 NP and find this extension works better with my mauisails. Its a little harder to release the downhaul in short bursts before I pop my cams on but other than that its excellent and has perfect alignment with my sail pully. I use a chinook downhaul winch so dont know what is easier to downhaul by hand.
Egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 03:31 AM   #14
Phill104

I've had a few problems with the new NP extensions. At first I used it with the North adapter. I then discovered that it will not accept the longer pins found on many deck plates so I had to use a short pin one. The next problem was sand. The slightest bit if sand anywhere near it and you either cannot get the pin in the extension, the button jams solid and of it was clean when you started and has got any sand inside you cannot separate the damn thing as the button gets jammed.

The final problem is the scariest. It only seems to happen under a lot of load when speed sailing but the adapter pops out of the extension. Suddenly finding the sail coming away from the board when you are hacking down the speed course does tend to test the integrity of even the best cycle clips.

So I bought the NP deck plate. While this cured to some extent the sand problem (there were still times when the release button jammed), the separating still happened.

So it is back to my trusty Arrows Airbases which are sadly now not in production. I wish someone would buy the design and remanufacture those as they are excellent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 07:45 AM   #15
nonopr

That is the reason I use the MXT version of the X6. It uses a US cup(neilpryde version of it with just one button) not a Euro pin.
I have never has any problems with it, plus I dont have to use an adapter either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bases_powerm_07_black.jpg (30.7 KB, 24 views)
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill104 View Post
I've had a few problems with the new NP extensions. At first I used it with the North adapter. I then discovered that it will not accept the longer pins found on many deck plates so I had to use a short pin one. The next problem was sand. The slightest bit if sand anywhere near it and you either cannot get the pin in the extension, the button jams solid and of it was clean when you started and has got any sand inside you cannot separate the damn thing as the button gets jammed.

The final problem is the scariest. It only seems to happen under a lot of load when speed sailing but the adapter pops out of the extension. Suddenly finding the sail coming away from the board when you are hacking down the speed course does tend to test the integrity of even the best cycle clips.

So I bought the NP deck plate. While this cured to some extent the sand problem (there were still times when the release button jammed), the separating still happened.

So it is back to my trusty Arrows Airbases which are sadly now not in production. I wish someone would buy the design and remanufacture those as they are excellent.
Phil, I have a brand new NP extension including this adapter. Like you, I was pretty much dissapointed to find that my north starbase joint (which I have 3) do not go inside this adapter. So I cut one of my joints and it is OK now.

The sand is not a problem for me. I do not have any sandy beaches around here...

But the final problem which you describe scares me alot. Can you explain a little bit more, and what excatly happens? I cannot imagine that this adapter goes out of extension. I could hardly put it inside my extension.
I will use this ext+adapter with my 8.2 in flat water. Do you think it is a problem and that I can expect similar failure? How many times did it happen to you?

Thanks
Old 14th February 2009, 01:24 PM   #17
Steve711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Phil, I have a brand new NP extension including this adapter. Like you, I was pretty much dissapointed to find that my north starbase joint (which I have 3) do not go inside this adapter. So I cut one of my joints and it is OK now.

The sand is not a problem for me. I do not have any sandy beaches around here...

But the final problem which you describe scares me alot. Can you explain a little bit more, and what excatly happens? I cannot imagine that this adapter goes out of extension. I could hardly put it inside my extension.
I will use this ext+adapter with my 8.2 in flat water. Do you think it is a problem and that I can expect similar failure? How many times did it happen to you?

Thanks
I experienced separating problem also when using the MX NP base+ base adaptor+Euro pin base. The pin just came out while sailing and happened to twice. Now I ditched the UXT adaptor and use the NP Power M base with MXT release system and it works well so far.
Steve711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 05:22 PM   #18
Phill104

Exactly as Steve711 says, the pin just came out. It is not just me, I have seen this happen to a couple of people during Weymouth Speedweek.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 06:50 PM   #19
Unregistered

I pretty much tried tham all over the years and have now gone streamline.
Best thing (for me) is the pulleys are bigger than most and the rope doesnt need
to run through the cleat which (previously) meant I was for ever chewing up
downhaul rope.
Dont a lot of pros use them ?
For an old fat bstd, I'm so streamlined I feel good !
Old 15th February 2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Unregistered

The Streamlined is improved by using the ball-bearing pulleys, but under high downhaul tension it can be difficult to cleat the line as there isn't a fairlead. The NP is nice, but it weighs a ton (and, as mentioned here, needs to be used with an NP base). I've seen plenty of the Chinook Carbon extensions break (both SDM and RDM), though they are light and the downhaul system works well.

Any extension will be upgraded using Dyneema line - much easier to downhaul, and much more durable. It's amazing that any company would still spec an extension without it, or that any serious sailor wouldn't try and get some.