Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd March 2009, 08:35 PM   #1
maverick

Default Flare freestyle board volume

Hi!

I'm looking for a board that would be perfect to start learning new freestyle moves (air jibe, willy skipper etc.). I'm used to sailing with Carve 111 and have a 2005 Mistral Joker 115 litre freestyle board. I weight 75 kg and I've sailed for 8 years.

I'm training to chop hop - can't do it yet - and I'm wondering if I should buy a smaller board or try jumping the 115 litre board and later buy a smaller board? Is 115 litre board impossible or really hard to jump? Would I learn faster on a smaller board? I'd hate to spend the 1500 euros if I could learn the basics with my current board... It's light wind sea conditions where I sail and 5.8 and 6.7 are the sail sizes I mostly use. 5.0 sail size is the best it gets.

I saw the Flare in action on my trip to Bonaire and what do you think would the 99 litre board or the 106 litre board be better for me?

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Philip Soltysiak

Hi Ville,

If you are mainly sailing in light winds and using big sails like 5.8 and 6.7 I would recommend the Flare 106 vs the smaller 98l or 88l models. I am sure that sailing the Flare you will progress much more quickly in freestyle than sailing the Carve 111 or Joker 115.

Phil
Philip Soltysiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 10:51 AM   #3
wiindz

i am no freestyle expert but i think a board that is slighty bigger will be more forgiving to a begginer's mmmistakes, as apposed to a smaller board... it is for sure, 100% possible to jump a 115l board, ive seen guys looping 200l+ longboards, so anything is possible.. however, just like whit any other board, to jump you need speed and a ramp if you want to get any sort of decent air... i think that for 1500 euro, if it was me anyways, i would try pretty hard to make my joker work beacuase it is afterall a freestyle dedicated board it has to be pretty good for it right?? with that sum of money, it could be a good idea to take a course on basic freestyle for half that price and enjoy the board you already have, rather then buy another one... if you see that its not working at all and you think that its because of the board, then i would consider buying a flare.. at least this way you know for sure you didnt waste your money on either board!!having said all this,115 is pretty floaty for guys our size, even though mine catches great air ;p
fair winds
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

While a super modern freestyle board like the Flare will make it a lot easier to learn the things you mentions, it should still be possible to start practicing on your current board. The Joker, is in fact a freestyle board, so why not.

Most of my freestyle friends tell me that when you're a beginner, it makes sense to use slightly bigger board and a smaller sail, but than when you start to flip things around a bit more, a smaller board might be easier. This would also indicate that you can stay on your Joker for a while and then step down to a Flare 99 (which will easily take 5.8 but not to willingly a 6.7).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 01:57 AM   #5
maverick

Default Thank you!

Hi!

Thank you all for commenting. I really appreciate it! What I did was I bought the 99 Flare 2008 Wood for 800 euros (used) and thought I don't have the time to wait with that good of a price. I'll probably keep the two boards for a while and then sell the Joker later this summer. I got a superfloaty 144 litre for very light winds.

It is true that I haven't tried hard enough to make those jumps on any board but now I cannot hide behind not having the right equipment at least .

Old 7th March 2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Excellent choice.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote