Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th February 2009, 07:02 AM   #11
JD111

Hi Nonopr/Mike,

Thanks for your additional comments. The stress fracture on the trailing edge of the fin box is hairline in size and is almost exactly in the center of the trailing edge (1 pic of my previous post and is in focus). The damage that is on the far left hand side and is out of focus is different damage which is somewhat repaired..... and again which was not described in the item description..... I have attached pics of this damage below. The fin box does not look to be coming away from the board. I'm not at all happy that the damage to the fin box was not disclosed prior to purchase despite my specific questions regarding damage, and have asked for a refund. I'll buy a new Futura instead. Fingers crossed...

Thank you very much for your support!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3296.jpg (91.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3297.jpg (102.9 KB, 30 views)
JD111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 06:19 AM   #12
Mike T

JD111
I took a look at the pictures and the two latest ones of the side of the fin box that is amazing that some one would call that a repair? That looks like they tore out the side of the fin box and it took out two chunks out of the bottom and they probably glued it back down with superglue. What ever that board hit sure made a mess of it. I would definitly return it and get every bit of your money back, especialy since you questioned the repairs and they didn't disclose the fin box damage. I'd be hauling that board back ASAP! Give that board back! Good luck! Mike
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 11:56 PM   #13
wiindz

wow,
somebody worked very hard to break that box, a turtle box smashed that badly, wow...ya, no questions asked you have three holes in your box, forget about the the cracks. looking at the conection between the box and the bottom of the board, there has deffinately been some major movement there, weather it be box to board or fin to box, the first is always bad, and the second from what i can seee if that was the case, was pronounced enough that it was very bad as well... i realy hope you can get your money back from this guy, ive got my fingures crossed for you, but with a lowlife like that who knows?...some people nowhere days...
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 11:20 PM   #14
kennatt

hi JD haven't been on the forum for a long while for various reasons. I repair boards for a dealer local to me and others that are sent via word of mouth.YOur fin box is done for I'm afraid,try to get the guy to refund you, The fin box needs to be removed and a new one glassed back in.Typical damaged caused by hitting something at speed. Overtightening , normally ,dosent cause damage to the box or board,it simply strips the thread on the fin,There will be water inside the board,if it has been used like that but probably not much,I don't think you will get an effective repair with the box insitu,needs doing properly I'm afraid,You can do the job yourself if you are at all handy and have access to a router,boxes and epoxy resin can be bought and its not rocket science just simple DIY methods,the only skill is in getting a good cosmetic finish ,will the guy not help out with the cost of the repair,hate to see honest people ripped off,he obviously knew about it,can't realy miss it can you good luck with it ' ken
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 08:43 PM   #15
JD111

Hi Wiindz/Ken,

Thanks for your comments. The goods news is that after some discussion with the previous owner it looks like he is willing to take the board back... fingers crossed!
Old 18th February 2009, 09:58 PM   #16
carvesalot

a host of information on this site...
http://boardlady.com/

JD111, I feel bad for you troubles.
Old 19th February 2009, 04:28 AM   #17
wiindz

great, i realy hope for you that he does man! if for some reason not however, and you have some basic knowlage of board repair, take a look at the site carvealot put up, its a great DYI site regardless of what the damage is on any board very helpfull and consetrvative on your wallet;p
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:34 PM   #18
JD111

Hi carvesalot,

Thanks for the link!
Old 26th February 2009, 10:08 PM   #19
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

In my famliy we had 3 2006 starboards, together with my friends we used 5 starboards from 2006 with tuttlebox. models:

3 Isonics
2 s-type

On 4 starboardswe saw several cracks around the finbox. But we never did repair it. I only made it flat, so I wouldn't have any rough surface in scoop/rockerline. A very proffesional boardrepair shop in the Netherlands told us that the Hard-foam used around the finbox is waterproof, so repairs would be expensive & unnessecary.

On another board a JP freerace we experienced with a select fin RS7, which was like 10 times more powerful than the standardfin (eventhough the select was 5cm shorter!?! )that complete finbox including hardfoam seperated from the boardcore. After that we heard everytime when sailing that hit a gust a CRACK #!$3^&*(*&%^, That finbox was completely replaced by a new tuttlebox.

Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:41 PM   #20
Mike T

Erik
Yes most fin boxes are surrounded by hard foam. But not all! So If you suspect that the fin box is cracked and the hard foam is not then you still have a water tight area but with a hard hit that this board took I would still do the bubble test and see if the box and surrounding foam is cracked. If the hard foam is intact then the repair would not be that expensive because you just router out the fin box and replace the box into the hard foam and then glass the top and bottom and paint. With the pictures that have been posted I would bet the hard foam is damaged. But the bigger issue is that the guy should'nt have sold the board to JD in that condition! So I hope he gets his money back.
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote