Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th August 2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Peterk

Default paint "bubbling"

Probably not the correct term but I am noticing what looks like slight warping on the bottom of my carve 145. Some of the bubbling is only half inch long and maybe an eighth to quarter inch wide, but there is one that is about three inches long. One of them can be dented with a finger nail which leaves me to believe it is the paint. Has anyone experienced this problem? The board is an '05 and was purchased the end of last season, so it does not have a lot of miles on it.

If so, should I leave it alone and wait for it to peel of or should I remove it and touh it up?

Thanks

peter
Peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
jamieedodger

Hi,

Im having exactly the same problem with my board, but its on the top and the bottom. But they arent as big as that. My board is an 06, 106 Kombat.
When I apply pressure on the bubbles, they burst and water comes out. I sail it in fresh-ish water only... so it cant be anything to do with salt.
And its never been abroad so it cant be pressure related.

Anyway , I asked one of the guys I sail with who owned a windsurfing shop, and he said it was probably when the non slip was applied, meaning slightly dodgy application/materials... However I then told him it was on the bottom too and he said it was the paint, which might also be dodgy. Or if the board is exposed to high and low temperatures it might cause it to warp and bubble.

But as long as it just seems to be on the surface I wouldn't worry about it, because it doesnt affect the structure.. apparently

I would just leave it and let it go its own way.

Jamie
jamieedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 01:45 AM   #3
Unregistered

do either of you store your board in a board bag after using?
Old 29th August 2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Unregistered

see..why doesnt anybody realise that the old boards dont have any of these problems at all! my old red F2 axis has never done that, its completly bullet proof (ran straight into a rock with no magor damage and loads of catapults straight onto the nose and never gone through it) some people rather have hardcore boards rather than slightly lighter boards!
Old 29th August 2007, 03:00 AM   #5
peterk123

I keep mine in a bag sometimes but I unzip it. It is also stored in a garage so temperature changes are not drastic.
Old 29th September 2007, 06:01 AM   #6
jamieedodger

yup, same here, but its not often that it gets unzipped..
jamieedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Mike T

My thinking here is the same thing that happens to boats when they sit in the water, the gel coat starts to blister. Well I would think the same thing is happening with these boards if they are wet inside a board bag the moisture is trapped and the paint starts to blister and then The blisters hold water the next time you go sailing. Have you noticed boards that are always kept in bag wet that the paint turns yellow? I left my board in a wet bag for a couple of days and when I pulled it out it the bottom was yellow. After washing it with soft scrub it was white again. Try rinsing your board and sit it in the rack with out the board bag and then see if any other blisters form over a couple of months. Just my 2cents. Mike T
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Unregistered

If you stop storing the board in a board bag- the blistering will stop!
In the meantime- just get some 600 grit sandpaper with a block and sand the blisters off.
Its only the paint- nothing structural.
The blisting occurs due to the moisture trapped in your bag and the paint.
Old 1st October 2007, 12:26 AM   #9
steveC

I wonder whether the quality of the paints used by Cobra International is contributing to the blistering problem. Frankly, I usually put my custom boards into their bags wet, but I don't quite zip up the bag completely. I leave about 8" of opening so the boards will eventually dry out, but it takes an extended period of time.

Maybe a pertinent point to highlight is that since 1990 I've always had a van, so I never really expose the bag to direct sun. Yet, the boards are regularly stored in the van, and until 2005, my vans were always parked outside and completely exposed to the elements.

I can say that over the years that some of them yellowed a bit, but that took some time. However, the more recent ones from 1998 and later don't appear to yellow like the older ones from the early 90s. I'm thinking that Zajicek started using a more robust paint. In any case, never a paint blister of any kind.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 12:29 AM   #10
Jean-Marc
TEAM

The typical symptom of storing a board with wet footstraps in a closed boardbag is usually paint blistering/bubbling :

A) Limited Warranty
"We guarantee that our products are free of any defects or damage caused by workmanship or materials, for the duration of 12 months after purchase date. This warranty commitment does not cover any other claim conditions such as;

11) Damage or defects caused by storage of the board in closed, damp conditions (for example a wet boardbag)."

B) Maintenance
"Make sure to rinse off your board with fresh water frequently, and preferably after each time it has been exposed to sand and/or salt water."

Seasalt is highly hygroscopic (keeps moisture), so rinse it off with fresh water and store the board in its boardbag with the "cover" widely opened over the footstraps to let them dry.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 1st October 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote