Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 16th March 2009, 04:52 AM   #1
PrydeMan

Default Which Flare board?

I'm wanting to get into short board freestyle sailing. I currently use my GO155 for old school freestyle tranistion tricks and for teaching. I also have a number of other Starboard boards for other displines including a Kode 94 wood.

I am now looking at adding to my collection a Flare, but not sure which one. I can get a second hand 2007 111 or a new 2009 98, or wait for the 2010 range. I am 80kgs and have 6.1m, 5.7m and 5.3m FireFlys. The 6.1 and 5.7 would be mostly used with the Flare and the 5.3m with the Kode.

Any advised would be great.

Regards,
Stephen
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 09:40 AM   #2
wiindz

how much do you wiegh and for how much wind do you want the board for, you cant realy do much in terms of new school freestyle on anything much bigger then 100l. have you tried with your kode 94? it should be a decent freestyler with the right fin....?
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:03 AM   #3
PrydeMan

I'm about 80kgs and I am looking at about 15knots to 20+knots flat water. Where I sail and when the weather is cross shore the wind is up and down too much to enjoy lock down sailing. I use to do freestyle sailing on the old Wally days a long time ago and this season I have started back on the big board freestyle sailing with the GO155, which I am re-enjoying the fun I had in the old days. Now I want to take this further on a short board.

The board I am after would be more suited for light to medium wind transition tricks and then progressing up to more jumpy tricks later. This would be my first time short board tricks, out side of duck gybes on my wave kit. The Kode 94 is a keeper, which I use for bump and jump and could use for stronger winds freestyle. I was first thinking of maybe a Kode 102, but wanted to explore the option of a more Freestyle type of board.
Old 16th March 2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Then I think you should go for the big Flare (ie 111/108/106 etc). For the light wind stuff, the extra volume will be welcome.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 04:13 PM   #5
PrydeMan

Guys thanks for that, I might either go the second hand 2007 111 or wait to the new 2010 model. Any data on the new 2010 Flares, what size and when they will be released? I heard from our supplier in Aus, maybe June for the wave freestyle boards.

Would the 2010 model be big improvement over the 2007 model for a first time short board freestyler?