Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th February 2009, 10:15 PM   #11
FattyFattyBonBon

Default re:

ahh, but is rs:x windsurfing is developing in greece with many up and coming windsurfers joining the development programme they have set up. The RS:X have set up a protocol to be presented at the end of the 2012 olympics which sees the equipment being modified to be lighter, and cheaper as well as earlier planing.

It has already focused on media attention, by changing the foil colour of the sail.
However, it seems to me that no outside people i.e freesailers choose the rs:x to sail due to its rigidness and 'harder to plane' concept. It is also more expensive o.O.

The question is- should the olympics revolve around mainstream windsurfers, or a one design concept that tests all talent and skill, rather than equipment?

Without a one- design concept for the olympics, more sponsors and media would compete to get their ideas and products advertised, which would promote windsurfing greatly. I believe that it should mirror the success of the PWA.

Cheers
Old 28th February 2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyFattyBonBon View Post
ahh, but is rs:x windsurfing is developing in greece with many up and coming windsurfers joining the development programme they have set up. The RS:X have set up a protocol to be presented at the end of the 2012 olympics which sees the equipment being modified to be lighter, and cheaper as well as earlier planing.

It has already focused on media attention, by changing the foil colour of the sail.
However, it seems to me that no outside people i.e freesailers choose the rs:x to sail due to its rigidness and 'harder to plane' concept. It is also more expensive o.O.

The question is- should the olympics revolve around mainstream windsurfers, or a one design concept that tests all talent and skill, rather than equipment?

Without a one- design concept for the olympics, more sponsors and media would compete to get their ideas and products advertised, which would promote windsurfing greatly. I believe that it should mirror the success of the PWA.

Cheers

do you think the pwa is succesful?
i think they do the best that they can but they are not running a very big tour and there isnt a huge amount of sponsor interest
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:39 PM   #13
mim

Default sponsors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
do you think the pwa is succesful?
i think they do the best that they can but they are not running a very big tour and there isnt a huge amount of sponsor interest
Well, lets take a look from the windsurfing point of view...is there any other tour or cup, having stronger sponsor support than PWA...because if it is I don't know it.

We have to face the current status of windsurfing...but RS:X and FW as well has less sponsors than PWA...(this of course does not mean PWA is strongly sponsored, but within windsurfing definitely best of all).
Take sylt with 105 kEuro pricemoney...and the tour as whole over 700keuro...that is not that bad, of course it is not a tennis or soccer.

Ciao Michal.

Last edited by mim; 3rd March 2009 at 07:43 PM.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Unregistered

Cool Windsurfing realities

Where i come from there is NOT alot of racing,windsurfing racing that is.

its 5 hours minimum to get to a regatta.
wind is no guarantee.
so the realilty is , you either sit onshore and wait for wind with a formula board setup, or get on your longboard and race, in any breeze that presents itself.

thats the case for most places in north america.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:02 AM   #15
wiindz

olimpic windsurfing has, and in my openion should always be, a one design class... i sail A LOT in regatas on 420s (also one design), its the trainer bout for the olipic 470, and trust me, having a one design class is far more demanding on the athletes physicaly and taticly then a free for all, its the fairest windsurfing can ever be, and thats the idea behind the olympics no? as for the rsx, and all the one design alympic classes, they are all miracles of engenearing if you ask me, name me one for complete set kit thta can sail 3-30 knts so succesfuly??? one design is the only way to go for the olympics because its the only way you can make sure thatthe sailor is winning the raceand not his or her equipment, which is the whole idea of the olympics..... when that doesnt matter (like in the pwa) the races may be more intertaining with more sponsorships and such but they arent fair enough to be olympic so far.....
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 11:36 AM   #16
Unregistered

[QUOTE=wiindz;30219one design is the only way to go for the olympics because its the only way you can make sure thatthe sailor is winning the raceand not his or her equipment, which is the whole idea of the olympics..... when that doesnt matter (like in the pwa) the races may be more intertaining with more sponsorships and such but they arent fair enough to be olympic so far.....[/QUOTE]

I dont think anybody is arguing that a a one design shouldn't be the olympic windsurfing class rather the equipment should be more modern- like the formula. Thus-the formula one design concept.
The RSX was already obsolete in terms of being a performance windsurfer after its first year. Its failed to attract a fleet outside those vying for an olympic spot- just like most other olympic sailing classes.
The Formula One Design appealed to a broader group of windsurfers - which if chosen, could have grown the sport
Honestly, why would you choose to sail a 45lb hybrid board that doesnt do anything well if youve got the opportunity to race formula, long boards or slalom?
Old 6th March 2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Unregistered

Formula is already dead as a fleet.
It has failed to attract competitors in any numbers
The attempt to get it elected as the olympic board was an attempt to keep it alive.
Shame but true
Old 6th March 2009, 08:18 PM   #18
ceri

quote - "The attempt to get it elected as the olympic board was an attempt to keep it alive.Shame but true ."
This statement could not be further from the truth . FOD was an attempt to keep olympic windsurfing Alive !
ceri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 10:23 PM   #19
wiindz

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I dont think anybody is arguing that a a one design shouldn't be the olympic windsurfing class rather the equipment should be more modern- like the formula. Thus-the formula one design concept.
The RSX was already obsolete in terms of being a performance windsurfer after its first year. Its failed to attract a fleet outside those vying for an olympic spot- just like most other olympic sailing classes.
The Formula One Design appealed to a broader group of windsurfers - which if chosen, could have grown the sport
Honestly, why would you choose to sail a 45lb hybrid board that doesnt do anything well if youve got the opportunity to race formula, long boards or slalom?
first off, you cant change the equipment for every olympics, its crazy and nobody would be used to their gear. olympics run on a 4 year cycle, this meens that any set of equipment used for more then one olympic games (should be at least two) is going to become "obsolete as a performance board" because its 8 years behind its compitition! a one design clas has to stay the same over at least 2 olympics, otherwise it kind of defeats the perpouse of having a one design clas in the first place. there is another major problem with the formula boards, they cant slog! off the plane the boards are a nightmere. you need a sail of around 11m-12m to get planning in 5-6knts of wind for most people, none of those people could sail with that same sail in 30knts well. so you have to start changing sails, which is not so one design class anymore right? also, due to the fact that the rsx is heavy, it doesnt fly on you when very overpowered in high wind, which formula boards certainly do.... therefore, formula is a great sport, no questions asked, lots of fun for light wind areas and such, but for the reasons i have stated above, it cant ever be an olympic one design class nor will olympic one desiegn class boards ever be considered "modern designs" due to the fact that the production boards run in cycles of 1-3 years, the olympic boards run in 8-12 year cycles, enough said?
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
FOD was an attempt to keep olympic windsurfing Alive !
pull the other one- its got bells on.