Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th February 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Klint

Default New lightwind race / slalom sail

Iím on the search for a 9,0 ish race / slalom sail to be paired with an iS 133 for light wind performance. I appreciate a grunty sail with good bottom end power for early planning but without offsetting balance too much when the wind picks up.

Any recommendations here? Iíve considered 2009 Gaastra Vapor 9,3, MS TR-5 9,2, Severne Code Red 9,5 or and North Warp 9,0. Which one do you consider to match the above description the best?

thanks,

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
geo

Hi Andy,
I have no experience on big slalom sails but know very well the maui Sails TR- series and how they behave. Can only say good. Mind their way of expressing power is DIFFERENT from other sails: don't misunderstand lack of lateral pull for lack of power!!! One has to understand that stability in their case is achieved through 1 or 2 more (stiff tube) battens, rather than extra high tension. This is good on the mast (won't break, or at least not as easily as with other sails) AND causes the different behaviour. This should fit your requirements better than most/all other designs.
I have a set of new TR-5's ready fore use now, but didn't put any on the water yet, as is for '09 materials for most people. Anyhow I have rigged them and, from what I see (deeper draft, very smooth even twist, less luff curve), I can expect those to be substantially more powerful than TR-4's and still very soft feeling... we will see.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hallo Andy,
I've a Vapor 9,0 2008 and its mast for sale.
Sailed it with the new 133 and result impressed me.Very quick planning and good stability in medium wind (17-18 k)
But I'm changed sail sponsor so...
Let me know you email if you're interested and I'll send you some pic.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

Gaastra Vapor has to most grunt, however the Neilpryde RS Racing 9.0 sailed with 490 x9 (older model) I have sailed impressed me, it was way more stable than the vapor and low-end was as good.

However I couldn't afford it. And I don't my homespot is to windy

Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 04:51 AM   #5
nonopr

Klint: IF you want to have a powerful sail use the new Titan from MauiSail in 9.0m and you will never buy any other sail: 3 cams super easy rotation, handles a lot of wind and is super light weight. That is if you dont want to deal with a wide luff sails, if you do then TR-5 is your choice.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonopr View Post
Klint: IF you want to have a powerful sail use the new Titan from MauiSail in 9.0m and you will never buy any other sail: 3 cams super easy rotation, handles a lot of wind and is super light weight. That is if you dont want to deal with a wide luff sails, if you do then TR-5 is your choice.
super lightweight? dont think so its 5.6kg
Old 27th February 2009, 03:58 PM   #7
mark h

Hi Klint, you wont go wrong with any of the sails you have mentioned, all pretty powerfull and all will take it when the wind fills in. Have you considered looking at the gruntier little brothers of those sails? Like the NS RAM, NP RS Slalom etc? These are getting good results on the amature slalom scene. They can take alot of wind and have more power then their full-on big brothers.But if its "full-on" you need, I'd go with the Warp, but thats just me & my personal taste!

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 06:23 PM   #8
nonopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
super lightweight? dont think so its 5.6kg
From where you get this weight. I have a brand new Titan in my office right now and it weights only 4.1kg. in 9.0m.

oh, sorry I forgot that you are unregistered, because you dont want to show the Neilpryde logo tattoo in your forhead. Get the real fact before you talk.

Last edited by nonopr; 1st March 2009 at 03:48 AM.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Klint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hallo Andy,
I've a Vapor 9,0 2008 and its mast for sale.
Sailed it with the new 133 and result impressed me.Very quick planning and good stability in medium wind (17-18 k)
But I'm changed sail sponsor so...
Let me know you email if you're interested and I'll send you some pic.
Sounds interesting, if you are located in northern Europe that is...

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Vando

Hi Klint The Loft Blades are also worth considering I had them for a year now and have been very happy with there performance and build quality.
My performance in Racing has improved 100% compare with last year on different sails.
Though changing to Starboard could have also contributed to that also .
see http://www.loftsails.com/
Vando is offline   Reply With Quote