Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd March 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
FredR

Default smaller sails with Isonic 122

I am 1.67 / 75kgs, sailing on the Isonic 122 / 09 with NP V8 7m. I am normally sailing in gusty wind. I am planning to buy a smaller sail (5.5 or 6m). Will it still be OK with the IS122 ? What fin size should I use ?
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Maximus

Sorry 7m is small as you would want to go on that board.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Per

Hi FredR
It depends a lot on whether you want to compete on the board, or just have fun.
For competition, if you are well powered up on a 6.0 at your weight you would be far better going on a smaller iSonic. For fun, if you are not max powered a 6.0 can do the job. 5.5 is just too small to keep the board on the water. I (193 cm 95 kg) sail my iSonic 122 with a 6.5 (solid no cam freeride sail) in quite a lot of wind and the board works surprisingly well with this sail size. I'm not at all in the mood to be on a smaller board. For competition use I - and you - would be better with a 7.0 cammed racesail though.

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
FredR

Default is 122

Thanks for your reply. what sails do you think can be a good complement to the v8 7m? I am thinking of the MKIII in 6.2
Old 4th March 2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Unregistered

Default dave

I bought a 122 for my wife to use this summer, I have been sailing the board with a naish boxer SL 6.4 and this sail works really well, I raced the board at the Hayling island slalom series, the first day was gusting 20-35 knots at times and this sail covered the range really well, the board just went very fast as the wind picked up