Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 21st March 2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Ola_H
TEAM

I think you have to give the board a few more chances. For me (similar weight as you) 7.0 is no where near the limit. I used the 101 only up to 7.5, but that felt perfectly sweet spot and far from the upper limit to me. At the other end I used the 101 with powered up 5.5, but that felt rather scary, like you need a lot of balls to take the 101 into that territory. But I still felt the board was behaving great once you stopped worrying and just let it go. So my overall conclusion is pretty much the opposite to yours: The 101 might need some special skills both at the low end and at the top end but once you've let the board grow on you and learned how it works it has an amazing range.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 10:05 AM   #12
willy

Hi Ola, Auraki and all,
I weight 70 kilos, in 2008 got my first IS 111 and after using it a lot i realized that was a little big for my weight and for the chop at my spot so last january i got a 2009 is101 and as suposed it is what i needed as it sweet spot for my weight is between 6.6 and 7.2 but it feels that i can carry easily 0.5 meter larger sail, of course you must use cambered sails with isonics and forget the provided fins, beside spin out my brand new Drake 36 fin fit loose inside the fin box, so it is easy to ruin it.
Rgds.
Xcuse my english
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 10:29 PM   #13
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
Hi Ola, Auraki and all,
and forget the provided fins, beside spin out my brand new Drake 36 fin fit loose inside the fin box, so it is easy to ruin it.
Rgds.
Xcuse my english
just a footnote to mention that the Drake fins (2008) are fine with me, I sanded them with 1200 grit to take out the logos before I ever used them, and they seem to work very well. I use Vector and Tectonics fins on my smaller boards. The only reason I can see to shell out 200-250 to get a new fin is to have an additional size, such as a Canefire 40.

As far as boards .. get two: you will just end up with a compromise otherwise. At our weight the Isonic 94 + Isonic 111 is a great combo, and you should consider the Isonic 86 + 111. As a only board get the 111 ... if your racing conditions are at around 15Kn it will be all you need and work better then the 101.

Last edited by davide; 21st March 2009 at 10:40 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 01:15 AM   #14
auraki

Default IS101 or 111

I think Davide is right I need a board to use in Adriatic sea, no great choppy conditions and light wind most of the time. When wind hits 16knots I surely do prefer taking the freestyle or other.
auraki is offline   Reply With Quote