Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th March 2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Ryan

Thumbs up

Great effort Allison, all the best for a future attempt.

I will be sure to be following, along with a lot of yachties and windsurfers around the country and world next time.

It must have been bloody hard trying to hang onto a formula sail in those sort of conditions. Also considering it appeared to be a bit beam on, must have really loaded everything up. Bass strait can be challenging on a 50 footer, let alone a formula board with a 9.5!

Would a smaller sail and something like a free-ride board have made it easier? Although I guess you were expecting only around 20 knots?
Old 29th March 2009, 07:18 PM   #12
AlexWind

Respect!!!
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 08:57 PM   #13
Unregistered

Thumbs up formula offshore in swell.

cramping and hypothermia !! I bet
I cant get the video here at work, was it a formula board??
I remember taking my old Starboard Formula 155 when i first got it out into lake Superior Canada for an impromptu long distance sail round some islands a few miles out , with a 7.4 sail.
the further i went out the higher the wind , it got maybe 25-30 knots.
Water close to shore, was bathing suit warm , but as one sails out into Lake Superior the wate gets cold and is the most dangerous aspect. Around 3 celcius year round!
The 1st leg was slightly upwind round a few islands. I was fighting the frizzbee effect ( ie:flying the hull and this was one of the early formula designs not so wide by todays standards)
After rounding the islands it was a deep broad reach , running dead down wind if i could as that was the best VMG, but not a good idea.
New on a formula hull without a chicken strap( the original 155 did not have one) DDW is catapult central, very trying to say the least and exhausting/
After a bit, I jumped in the water just to save my forearms ( a harness useless DDW)and even with a thick steamer the water was freezing.
So i got back up continued.
I broke a harness line on the way back.
Now i only sailed maybe 15 miles, and i was "done like dinner"
Now go across the bass straight!
WOW
that piece of water is inherently dangerous even with proper preparation . It has killed many experienced yachtsman, and sunk many boats.
In a small way i can imagine what kind of challenge you did Allison
.Job well done!!!
Old 29th March 2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots
Thumbs up

Wooww impressive!!! I also would get cramps with a 9.5 m2!!

Cheers,

Erik
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 03:10 AM   #15
Darko_Z

Default Congratulations

Congratulations to Allison!

It is amazing, to windsurf 35 kn wind on open sea and big waves with 9.5m sail. I weigh 90kg and I usually use 5m sail for 30kn wind.

Guy Cribb and Antoine Albeau were using slalom gear for crossing the channel. Guy Cribb was using 110 Mistral Slalom board with 5.8m North Sails Ram and Antoine Albeau was on 6.7m NP RS Racing and 111 Starboard iSonic. Both of them have encountered similar problems as Allison. I guess problem are big waves, they block the wind and you canít get clear wind to sail.

Perhaps it would be easier to use kite for such crossings as Kirsty Jones did, she completed the 140 miles from the Canary Islands to Morocco with kite.
Darko_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 04:12 AM   #16
Del Carpenter

Thank you, Allison, for being an inspiration.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 05:50 AM   #17
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Allison,

Great great effort and big congratulations, 9,5 in this conditions means a lot of respect!!!!

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Unregistered

I think the jist of it was: overpowered for the first few hours and slogging for an extra nine, ie. the wind dropped or the extreme wind gradient caused by big swell made planing impossible(?). People seem to be citing Kristy Jone's kite crossing to morocco, a minimum 120 km distance, the bass strait is more like 240 km across, and from watching the youtube video, conditions seemed a bit more manageable for Jones.You'll get it next time Allison.
All that reaching with forumula equipment? I'd be toast.
Old 3rd April 2009, 07:06 AM   #19
Unregistered

the wind was strong
she cramped up and couldn't continue

if anything she could have used a smaller board and sail
Old 4th April 2009, 08:27 PM   #20
sailing314

You are my hero Allison! Great job! There are some tough long distance races on SF Bay but nothing like the Bass Straight...wow! Respect!
sailing314 is offline   Reply With Quote