Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th March 2009, 07:25 PM   #1
nikolas109

Default futura size for intermediate

Hello to everybody,

I am interested in purchasing a futura and I want some advice with regard to size.

So far I have sailed an exocet nano of 155 lt with a 5,5 NP Zen in conditions ranging from 11 to 20+ knots, choppy and for about 40 sessions. I am able to beach start but not capable to waterstart yet. I use the harness half the time I sail and I am strugling to get into the straps. My body weight is 80kg.

Unfortunately I have to let the nano go permanently since I have boroughed it from my cousin who is moving to a different city.

Once I have made an attempt to sail a '08 116lt/68wide mistral screamer but I have found it difficult to uphaul or attempt to get into the straps. I am looking for a board to progress and keep as much as possible and that's why I am not opting for a new nano.

I would realy appreciate some advice. Thank you very much in advance for your comments.
nikolas109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
nikolas109

By the way I was thinking that the 133 would suit me well.

thanks...
Old 24th March 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Screamer

133 or 122 if you're a bit adventurous. 122 will be harder work in the beginning, but better in 20 knots. If you're just learning how to use footstraps, maybe a 133 will be a safer choice. Can you rent/try boards?

In any case get yourself a (much) bigger rig - 5.5 is really too small for any of these boards.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
nikolas109

so you think the futura 133 would be a safe choice for learning and doing harness/footstrap work. Would a 6m2 freerace sail be a good match for the 133, or is it still considered to be small?

With regard to the ability to uphaul do you find that I would strugle to the 122 due to volume or due to max width?

cheers
Old 25th March 2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Ken

nikolas109,

How much do you weigh? That will help determine which board is better suited for you.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 08:09 AM   #6
nikolas109

Hello Ken my weight is 80 kg
Old 26th March 2009, 12:34 AM   #7
Ken

Sorry,

I missed your weight in the first post. I also weight 80 kg. If you typically sail in 11-20 knots, the 122 will be better suited for you over the long haul (next 2-4 years). It will be a little more difficult to uphaul, but once you are comfortable in the footstraps and harness, water starting won't be far off.

You will need a bigger sail soon (6.5) and if you keep at it, a 7.5 won't be far off. If you go for the 133, it's not that different than the Exocet in size and you will find that it will be a bit too big in winds between 16 and 20 knots. As you increase your sails size, your speed will increase significantly, which means that the 133 will be a rough ride in 15 to 20knots of wind and the resulting chop.

In general, a board between 120 to 125 liters is a great all around board for intermediate sailors in the winds you are talking about. With some practice and a 7.5, you will be able to plane on the 122 in 11 - 13 knots.
Old 26th March 2009, 01:29 AM   #8
Screamer

Nikolas
Jump from a 5.5 to a 6.0 is almost negligible. If you keep your 5.5 and want just one more sail, go for around 7.0. Better yet, you can plan a future quiver like this: 5.5 - 6.5 - 8.0. Even 122 will take an 8 no problem (but it's probably too big for your current stage).
Yes you can use small sails on big/wide boards when you're learning, but when you progress, you'll want a smaller board for any sail smaller than 6.5.

Uphauling: with some practice you'll uphaul 122 in zero wind even in bumpy water. A mate of mine is uphauling 111, he's an intermediate @ 80-85KG. As Ken says 122 is better for years to come. Maybe you can buy second hand Carve 133 (or similar volume bic, etc) for 2 reasons:
1. you need to become comfortable in the footstraps, not to struggle to use them
2. you'll probably catapult a lot at your stage (we all did), so a brand new Futura could be ruined soon (but then again, use the nose protector)

Good luck
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 01:45 AM   #9
leysenkr

When I had your experience level last year, i bought myself a 117L SB Aero. I learned alot and sold my 117L and bought this year the new futura 101L.
So I would go for the 122L.

You will grow to a smaller board next year but you will always keep your 122L for lighter days.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 01:53 AM   #10
Ken

Nickolas,

Screamer makes a good point about being catapulted (tossed over the nose). Your boom will probably be high enough to miss the nose of the board, but the mast can and will hit the nose from time to time. At a minimum, you will get compression dents in the board, which may or may not break through the skin. Gluing a nose protector on the deck of the nose will help prevent damage. It may look a little goofy, but better to protect the board.