Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd April 2009, 12:52 AM   #1
dlm5000

Default first board

i'm looking to buy a first board and rig, and need advice.

i'm 6'3", 185 lbs, athletic 40-year old, and live in Boston (variable wind). i can up-haul and tack, want to learn to use a harness, gybe, and water-start. i want to maximize time on the water (which is limited b/c i work alot!).

would a Go 155 be a good board, or should I get the next higher volume?

and a sail? i think in the past i've used something between 7.0 and 8.0....

appreciate any thoughts....
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:22 AM   #2
crazychemical

the 155 is in my opinion a very good option for your weight but considering your level the 170 wouldn't be bad eighter, so i'm leaving this one to Roger...

AS for sails: NO CAM SAILS! Seeing as you have variable wind it's hard to say really ... i learned a lot using my 7.6 sail in the beginning and it's still my most used sail. Can you give us an idea on what conditions you usually sail in and if you're planning already (important factor not only for size, but also for the type of sail).
Old 2nd April 2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default first board

the first question often is: can you beg, borrow or steal something to try first ?
my friend had not windsurfed for 10 years
i let him borrow an older intermediate type board
he used to use stuff much smaller and he weighed less then
we are both over 100kg/220 lbs
he purchased a 160 liter board and actually got me to purchase one also
i used to be on old longboards on lakes
i feel for my weight, my beginning intermediate level , etc the 160 is fine (7.0 and 8.5 m2 sails)
my friend and collegue is more athletic - does great down-hill , etc - and he wishes he would have gone down to something like a 145 liter board (with a 130 for big winds)
we are sailing in the St Lawrence - not far from Boston, but not in ocean
for me the 160 is perfect cuz i gotta go when i have time and still on the lake
the lake feels small now cuz when i plane with the 8.5 , i get to the other side quickly
with your weight you can uphaul on smaller board than us
you be the judge, but i still suggest try something to see....
Old 2nd April 2009, 07:02 AM   #4
dlm5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychemical View Post
Can you give us an idea on what conditions you usually sail in and if you're planning already (important factor not only for size, but also for the type of sail).
I'll be mostly in pretty flat water (bays), and can't be too picky about the wind. I planed on an older GO 150 i rented in the dominican republic, but that unfortunately didn't happen every day! (and I'd like it to!!) that's why i'm wondering if i should get the bigger board -- even though i would be able to uphaul the 155, i would think the 175 would plane earlier.
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Screamer

dlm
You don't need bigger than 155, a 175 would be better only for your first outings and bring you nothing after that (except handling difficulties when the wind picks up). It's early planing potential wouldn't be fully utilized until you put a mega rig on it (say, 9-10).
I also wanted to recommend even smaller board since you're not that heavy, but since you're not using footstraps/harness go for 155. Coupled with a 7.5, it's a good start. Before you know it, you'll want to use a 9 on that board, or at the other end, a smaller board for higher winds.
Cambers are not that bad in variable winds and on that size sail (and board), but don't buy a 4-cam racing sail. You need a softer more forgiving twin cam (North Rtype, Pryde V6, Severne Element, Gaastra swift, etc).

Good luck

Edit: Now I see Go comes in 144 size, 79cm wide. My vote goes for it. Plenty of stability and sail carrying range.

Last edited by Screamer; 2nd April 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:26 PM   #6
crazychemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
dlm

Cambers are not that bad in variable winds and on that size sail (and board), but don't buy a 4-cam racing sail. You need a softer more forgiving twin cam (North Rtype, Pryde V6, Severne Element, Gaastra swift, etc).

Good luck

Edit: Now I see Go comes in 144 size, 79cm wide. My vote goes for it. Plenty of stability and sail carrying range.
cambers are great when you've got the experience to use them. They're harder to rig and give a less direct feel which is what beginners and intermediates need in order to get to know the techniques so I oppose to the idea, even of a GTX or V6. Furthermore, they''re more expensive and a better investment would be, when he's fully experienced to buy full cambered race sails and a slalom of formula board, but these are idea's for much later.

The go 144 would also do the trick, however, a bit of extra float for someone dlm5000's level is alway much more appreciated and the extra width and bigger sailrange of the 155 will allow for a longer ride with more planning.
Old 2nd April 2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Unregistered

have you tried this ??

http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpadd...Calculator.xls

ideal shortboard based on your weight using these numbers is 140 liters
a 7.0 sail is good in 20 mph / 30 kph {and practice in less wind}
go for the 144 ??

again: beg borrow steal :-)
Old 2nd April 2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Screamer

Crazy

We'll agree to disagree on this one ;-)

Dlm,
poster #3 is right - try some gear if at all possible.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:08 PM   #9
crazychemical

Scream, we had our disagreements in the past ;-) we can add this one to the list.

Dlm, you should take this to the 'windsurfingschool' forum. It's odd enough that Roger didn't respond already but his input is usually a very objective one and he's really the connesseur when it comes to beginner gear.
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:25 AM   #10
dlm5000

thanks everyone for your advice! i'll let you know how things pan out....
dave