Old 8th April 2009, 02:37 AM   #1
wndsrf48

Default fix sail or replace

Hi Roger,

I have a 5.2 Gaastra sail that has a broken batten just below where the boom connects. The sleeve that holds the batten has a rip in it where the batten broke. The sail is over ten years old. So how long does a sail usually last and would it be better in the long run to replace.

I currently have a 6.1, 7.0 and 8.5 sail of various brands. Looking for something around a 5.5. I want to replace the 6.1 along with the 5.2. Can that be done with one sail.

thanks,
Sandy
wndsrf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sandy,
Yes, you could get another batten made up for your 5.2 Gaastra (which model if you know?) but there are sails in the 5.6 m2 range that might cover both your 6.0 and 5.0 needs.
Sailworks 5.6 m2 Hucker is nearly as powerful as most 6.0's, and it can be detuned (LOT'S of downhaul here) to a bit smaller than 5.6 (maybe as far down as 5.2 m2).
The Huckers are easy to rig, and if you have a couple of different masts, you can extend the range down a bit more by changing to a softer mast.
RDM masts seem to "power up" the Huckers on the low wind end, and std. dia. masts give better high wind stability, with good low wind power.
Huckers are not for everyone, as they have a bit of an old style "more power in the top" feel, but for your FL conditions, the 5.6 Hucker could work really well.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote