Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th December 2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Caribsurf

Default Windsurf whit yoga technic.

I meet this yoga girl and she showed me some yoga exercises. Specially one their you stand on one foot and mowing your arms over our head. (the tree) I had some problem whit the balance. She when told me to tighten and hold moullabanden. (its Indien for ass hole)
And I felt an instant increase of stability and balance, and was able to do that stance whit out any problem and where able to focus on my breathing. All good.
I thought it was pretty funny and asked her about it after. She said that your balance center of your body is sitting where and by tightening moullabanden you lower and center your balance. Or something like that.

So a few days ago I was training my jibing and tacking and remember that she told me. Tried it out whit the moullabanden and I felted more balanced specially whit the tacking transition part around the mast and in the take of after.

Is where anybody that have tried it? Or maybe doing it whit out thinking of it? Or is where any yoga surfers that already taken this to com on practice?

If not please try this out next time your on the water and wright here about your experience on the subject. Maybe its just imagination from my side. Will be an interesting experiment.

And if someone that's really good and can try it out in jumping and wave riding. (Iam not their yet)

Happy new year all of ya...

ps. Its may sound like a joke, so if some one that do yoga can confirm so please do.

Last edited by Caribsurf; 30th December 2008 at 12:40 AM.
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Floyd

Red face

What do you clench onto with your moullabanden ??
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 02:51 AM   #3
crazychemical

i heard something simular but then with your abdominals. That i did try and it does work. If you tighten your muscles there you also lower your point of balance in a favorable position for high wind windsurfing. So if you're sailing bigger sails (oh dear, Floyd please don't shoot me ) tighter whaterver is under your harness and you get that effect. Though glutes and abdominal muscles are during a ride easier to contract than other muscles which in essense should be inhibited by your stance.
Old 30th December 2008, 03:05 AM   #4
Caribsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
What do you clench onto with your moullabanden ??
You don't have to put anything in your moullabanden (you probably can if you in to stuff like that), just tighten you buttocks like you tighten the biceps. So they get hard.

I know it sounds funny, but try it and see if it helps your balance.
Old 30th December 2008, 03:18 AM   #5
Caribsurf

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychemical View Post
i heard something simular but then with your abdominals. That i did try and it does work. If you tighten your muscles there you also lower your point of balance in a favorable position for high wind windsurfing. So if you're sailing bigger sails (oh dear, Floyd please don't shoot me ) tighter whaterver is under your harness and you get that effect. Though glutes and abdominal muscles are during a ride easier to contract than other muscles which in essense should be inhibited by your stance.
Yes, Good input CC.

Then you tighten your lower abs you kind of automatically tighten you moullabanden to. It fells like that when I tried.
Old 30th December 2008, 03:46 AM   #6
Floyd

Red face

Wouldn`t dream of shooting you !

I know how everybody hangs on to bigger sails than me now !
They are cliging onto them with their moullabandens !
The secret is out. Dont tell the kiters !!!

Will try it though. Mind you it sounds hard work. I like to relax all muscles I aint using !!
Old 30th December 2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Caribsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Wouldn`t dream of shooting you !

I know how everybody hangs on to bigger sails than me now !
They are cliging onto them with their moullabandens !
The secret is out. Dont tell the kiters !!!

Will try it though. Mind you it sounds hard work. I like to relax all muscles I aint using !!
Haha...
yee don't tell them...

I think that you can train yourself to instant reflex moullabanden tension then you find yourself out of balance, like in a gust or just before an catapult.
So it may not be that hard work.
Old 9th January 2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Unregistered

It's not a joke, it's called the 'root lock' and is part of activating the small muscles that support the spine and so can help with many movements and balances, see
http://yoga.org.nz/postures/mulabandha.htm
the other main lock is the muscle running up the spine see
http://yoga.about.com/od/bandhas/Int...ed_in_Yoga.htm

Pilates took the concept and emphasis it srongly too (natural after rebranding)

but they all agree you shouldn't clench your buttocks whhen doing it (a habit that's reckoned to be bad for the spine). It is not a huge tension, but a more subtle movement that can be held for long periods. Like the shoulder rotator cuffs all these stabilizing muscles often get overlooked in gym work.

I've often thought the harness itself must act like a weightlifters belt to some degree too. After all they don't seem to be as many back injuries in W/S as you might expect when weekend warroirs head out after a week in the office into a gale...
Old 9th January 2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Floyd

Harty recommends (on this site somewhere) you should sail lazy/relaxed .Tensioning any muscle (unnaturally) seems counter productive to me. Besides I`ve all on co-ordinating arms;legs etc etc without worrying about my molobdemum.

After a long session you would nt want those muscles tired for drinking session.
Old 9th January 2009, 05:58 AM   #10
Floyd

Quoting Harty
Windsurfing is all about being lazy. However windy, however fast you’re going, you’re always looking for the least energetic way to do something.