Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th April 2009, 03:31 AM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

As long as sail tip and double luff pannel does not fill in with water: 6-7 knots wind with Code Red 11.0m2 sail and Serenity (65 kg + PFD). Not enough lift/weight ratio in 5 knots or lesser wind.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Ken

Here's a solution if you get stuck in wind too light to water start. This happened to me many years ago during a long downwind race on a longboard.

Moderate swells, dying wind and a 10 m sail which I grabbed at the last second (without an uphaul). I discovered my error just after the start, but decided to keep going since I was in the lead. Eventually in less than 5 knots of wind, I fell off in the swells and tried to water start with no luck. I then tried to uphaul with the mast, but simply couldn't do it. After a few minutes of frustration, I thought of taking off the harness lines (tied on with knots in the old days), tying them together and making an uphaul. It worked great and I still finished the race in the lead.

Just pray you have harness lines that velcro or tie on and you don't have to slip them over the end of the boom arm.

In my early days, I thought it was "cool" to sail without an uphaul. Now that I am older and wiser, I see that for those of us that sail inland lakes with rapidly changing winds, it is a bit stupid to go without one.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
In my early days, I thought it was "cool" to sail without an uphaul. Now that I am older and wiser, I see that for those of us that sail inland lakes with rapidly changing winds, it is a bit stupid to go without one.
It's only when you want to sail rapidly changing, but howling winds on inland waters, when you have a problem (uphaul not very useful on small volume eh). Just last week I've had a mile swim when 7-8bf gale switched off.

Wrt waterstarting, I remember a magazine article a few years ago where a guy explained how to do it in stupidly light winds - a few knots. You'll need the stretch/skill of a gymnast though, he CLIMBED on the board while holding the rig upright, rather than being lifted by the rig (I think it was Simon Bornhoft).
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:20 PM   #14
michelb

Send a message via MSN to michelb

Re study Peter Hart videos...... Turn for the better. He do a waterstart in a long board with less than 5 knots taking the rig from near the mast foot.

Peter is member of this dream team and maybe can do any tip.....

Michel
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:22 PM   #15
Ken

Screamer,

I agree that an uphaul isn't really needed on a Very Low volume board, unless you have the skill to uphaul with the water level mid calf or at the knees. I am not that good, so I will only go out on my 85 liter board if the wind is howling with no wind shadows.

Michael,

I have done water starts holding on to the mast and sail foot in very light winds. It does work but takes some practice. However, I didn't have the skills at the time (20+ yrs ago) when I was stuck with my 10.0 m in little to no wind and used the harness lines for an uphaul.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 04:16 PM   #16
agrelon

Default Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Here's a solution if you get stuck in wind too light to water start. This happened to me many years ago during a long downwind race on a longboard.

Moderate swells, dying wind and a 10 m sail which I grabbed at the last second (without an uphaul). I discovered my error just after the start, but decided to keep going since I was in the lead. Eventually in less than 5 knots of wind, I fell off in the swells and tried to water start with no luck. I then tried to uphaul with the mast, but simply couldn't do it. After a few minutes of frustration, I thought of taking off the harness lines (tied on with knots in the old days), tying them together and making an uphaul. It worked great and I still finished the race in the lead.

Just pray you have harness lines that velcro or tie on and you don't have to slip them over the end of the boom arm.

That's human ingenuity at it's best! I'll remember that when I sail uphaulless.
agrelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 03:11 PM   #17
mondy

Default light wind w start technique

dear friend,
check out what royn says: http://www.roynbartholdi.com/ws_move..._lightwind.htm
it's tough but can be done, try it , but it's VERY frustrating as you're probably swearing anyway coz the wind dropped....
he has all kinds of starts on the site, check them out!
cheers
mondy
mondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:35 AM   #18
Jean-Marc
TEAM

On a longboard like the Serenity, it's a lot faster to grab the double luff mast pannel full of water and rest the boom either on the tail or on the nose of the board rather than uphauling the large 11.0 m2 sail with brute force. Water pours out of the boom's cutout and sail tip by itself. Once empty, lift off the mast up, grab the boom, clear off the clew and off you go. On a short board, forget it: nose or tail are usually too short to rest the boom on it.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 01:42 AM   #19
steveC

Ken,

Although I stopped using an uphaul, like I noted a bit earlier, I should point out that I do carry a spare piece of downhaul line in the small pocket of my seat harness that I can tie on to the boom, if needed. So I guess I'm not totally stupid. I have to say, in the last 18 years of using no uphaul, I think I've only tied on the line twice.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 12:58 PM   #20
agrelon

Default This is how I waterstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc View Post
On a longboard like the Serenity, it's a lot faster to grab the double luff mast pannel full of water and rest the boom either on the tail or on the nose of the board rather than uphauling the large 11.0 m2 sail with brute force. Water pours out of the boom's cutout and sail tip by itself. Once empty, lift off the mast up, grab the boom, clear off the clew and off you go. On a short board, forget it: nose or tail are usually too short to rest the boom on it.

Cheers !

JM
This is how I water start and continue to do so, I've never tried simply clearing the rig from the water without using the boards floatation as leverage. With the short board I use, a 2005 AHD limited edition, the tail is just long enough to be used.

I think a lot of people struggle with rig recovery and knowing this is a big, big tip.
agrelon is offline   Reply With Quote