Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 30th April 2009, 09:36 AM   #1
yankiwi

Default Next board??

I just started windsurfing 5 months ago. I curretly have a 2005 Carve 145lt. I am seriously addicted now, and thinking it is time for a slightly smaller board. I can blast in the harness and footstraps ok, jibing is rough but sometimes works, and I can waterstart (sometimes). I weight about 82kg.
I am thinking of a new freeride board around the 120lt size. Current sails (5.8, 6.2, 7.0). I would like something that covers both flat water and some onshore chop.
Currently I am trying to decide between Futura 122, Tabou Rocket 125, JP Xcite Ride 120. I know I am asking the Starboard crowd here, but I would be interested in peoples opinions of the pros and cons of these options. I have heard that the Futura is the fastest, but it is also the most technical to sail and it might be too much of a step up for me. I was told the Tabou and JP are a lot easier and more forgiving to sail? Thoughts????
yankiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Yankiwi,
Sorry, I cannot comment on the Tabou or the JP, as I have never sailed either one.
As far as the Futura being "technical" to sail, I have not found this to be true.
The Futura is the follow on upgrade to the Carve line, and while I would agree that the
Futuras are faster (they got some design attributes from the very fast Isonic line) than the Carves, I have not found them to be any more technical to sail fast, point fairly high,
or jibe than the same size Carve board.
In fact, I think they might actually be a little easier in some respects, and they do plane a bit earlier (size for size).
I do not think you will be disappointed with the Futura 122, either in wood or technora constructions.
The Futura 122 suits your suggested wind range, sail sizes and water conditions as well as your weight.
Actually, if you have lighter conditions or would like to plane a bit earlier in less wind, you could add an 8.0 or 8.5 m2 rig to your quiver and drop your planing threshold but about 2-3 knots over the 7.0.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
yankiwi

Thanks Roger. That does help. Can you tell what I consider when thinking about wood or technora contruction?

Cheers!
Old 30th April 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Yankiwi,
The WOOD/Technora decision is about price, weight, and durability.
The WOOD costs more, wieghs less, and may be slightly more impact resistant, but is very difficult to repair without the repair being pretty obvious.
Technora is less expensive, weighs more, gets slightly more damage than wood from the same force, but is very easy to repair without the repair showing up as the entire board can be painted if you can get a good color match.
If you are past getting flung over the front and doing damage to the nose of your Carve, then a WOOD Futura would be my suggestion if you can afford it.
If you are still at the stage where you might damage the nose, then the Technora is probably the better choice if you want your board to look it's best for a longer time.
Hope this helps,
Old 1st May 2009, 04:20 AM   #5
yankiwi

Thanks again Roger. While the catapults over the front have reduced a lot, I am sure that if I am sure that if I buy a nice new board I get flung over the front in the first 10 mins. Sounds like the technora might be the way to go.
Old 1st May 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi yankiwi,
Or, make yourself a nose guard pad from some multi density foam (Starboard makes these as an accessory) to protect the nose of a wood board until your are for sure past the "over the handlebars/completely out of control" stage.
R
Old 1st May 2009, 02:43 PM   #7
leysenkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
"over the handlebars/completely out of control" stage.
R
Isn't there a word for? It seems like being a stage where every beginner has to go through. Just collected my board from the shop . I'm also in my accident-prone phase. Completely stressed out through the possiblilty off missing a day because off material breakdown.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi leysenkr,
I'm not usre there's a single word for this phase, but I guess "catapault" stage is precise as it gets.
Even after you get beyond the first "catapault stage", you seem to get flung over the front every once in a while, but by then you've learned to "direct" things so you can get away with getting catapaulted without damage to the sailor and board.
Sounds like you may also be a candidate for some sort of nose guard.
I know they look funny, but if you want your board to stay looking good, and be "on the water" nearly every day, you either have to have some really heavy duty (and very heavy overall) construction, or some sort of nose guard.
R