Old 22nd April 2009, 01:47 AM   #11
Screamer

Egor

In addition to Jesper's excellent tips:
Balls. Lots of ;-)

Also listen to poster #8. Not everyone has the skill and dedication of pro racers. I like sailing slalom (recreational), up to a point. Of course I bail out way before this happens (pics from PWA slalom, Lanzarote 2007)

Everyone has to decide for themselves when it's "too much", then it's time for Kodes/waveboards, etc.

PS #8, although I agree with a lot of things you say, I don't think you can say "nonsense" to Jesper. I believe he knows a thing or two about sailing slalom gear overpowered ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lanz01.jpg (36.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg lanz02.jpg (50.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg lanz03.jpg (47.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg lanz04.jpg (43.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Screamer; 22nd April 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Egor

I have a sonic 100 and 6.6 race sail and select superfast 32cm. I love this combo and have no problem sailing powered up at my local spot which is pretty smooth water. I can sail all day without missing a carve jibe. Its only when I compete in social racing at other spots in bigger chop and confused sea. Im not use to sailing in these conditions but I want to get better to compete. I dont want a freeride or wave board.

and screamer is right I need bigger nads
Egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Unregistered

Cool

We could all do with bigger nads !

Just because somebody can sail does not mean their advice is not drivvle. Not downhauling sails;use waist harness; use 3ft harness lines and bigger fin IS absolute drivvle !!!

And
Lanzarote is not a choppy venue. Those are waves and its not maxed out either. (in any of pics)
And
If you are on Slalom kit in Lanza you are a muddle head (or sponsored muddle head promoting "slalom" kit)

Its like going around Brands Hatch in a bus.

Control problems ?
More DH. Smaller fin. Tighten your waist harness.Moves lines back a bit.Fall off a lot and learn it doesn`t hurt most times. Then buy a fast freeride and enjoy your sailing.

Lifes too short to sail dedicated slalom boards.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:08 AM   #14
mim

Hey Unregistred...

You look like enjoying this thread (a bit radical though)
I would have more or less the same ideas in some points...more downhaul yes, smaller fin yes, shorter lines (no way...the stronger the wind the longer the lines...on slalom, not wave board), shifting lines back no (reduce back hand pressure, but when there is gust comming will throw you over).

Your life may be too short, I hope I will be here quite a while and I will be riding dedicated slalom (and wave boards as well) as long as possible.

Btw. I guess as well Jesper has quite an experience.

PS: and yes, chop for me is something different that the pictures from Lanzarote...chop is something with very high and not regular frequency.
On the other hand...slalom riding in waves (did it on corsica this winter in 3+ meter waves) is hell of a fun...you never try you never know!!!

Ciao Michal.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:39 AM   #15
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egor View Post
Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the tips. The longer harness lines is a great idea as I usually use 24" so havent got much room for error when over powered and sheeting out and yes sheeting out is bad. Ive tried a waist harness before but it felt very strange after using a seat harness for years but maybe its worth trying again.

Anyway you have given me a lot of ideas to work on so thanks
Hi,

for harness lines you could get a good set of adjustable ones. I use mine anywhere between 26-28" for slalom (I am 172cm tall). Something with a cleat because nothing else works: for example the Chinook Race Harness Line http://www.chinooksailing.com/produc...roducts_id=139

... and for the original question ... I sail probably one of the worst chops around, Crissy field in SF can get a 4 knots ebb tide against a 15-20knots of wind against it: the result is very vertical and high frequency chop. And I must say that I go out with my slalom but ... I get tired of it after half an hour: the wind is perfect for 5.5-6.5 slalom but the chop makes it too physical and taxing (I am fifty). So most of the time comes ebb-tide I grab my B&J and my SuperFreak 4.7-5.3 and I am much much much happier

Last edited by davide; 23rd April 2009 at 12:42 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:58 AM   #16
Unregistered

Talking

Should have said
"life`s too short to sail dedicated slalom in chop or when you can get wave board going"
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:06 AM   #17
Screamer

I know the difference between swell/waves and chop thank you ;-)

Not maxed out? Well OK I suppose it's a piece of cake for you then ;-)
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:24 PM   #18
Per

Practice, practice and more practice. Quit the extremes - very low boom, very long lines, extreme out- and downhaul etc.
Slalom boards are great machines and with PRACTICE you will start loving them.
Have fun....

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 03:11 PM   #19
Unregistered

Cool

Screamer
I didn`t post pictures explaining to us all what choppy conditions (dont) look like !

I also didnt give bad (wrong)advice !!! (Bigger fin ; less down haul ;waist harness ?)

Slalom boards in Lanza ???

Been sailing from Los Chargos 20 years (+); nobody but nobody goes out on slalom on anything like decent days !!! Reading drivvle and BS on here sounds like everyone does !!
(except muddle heads who normally end up on rocks)

Lanza is probably best wave venue in Europe.(Well nearly in Europe) (Femara/Los Chargos) Your posting piks as examples of chop ! Nothing like chop. ! (Try Sotavento for chop )
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:05 PM   #20
Waiting4wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Screamer
I didn`t post pictures explaining to us all what choppy conditions (dont) look like !

I also didnt give bad (wrong)advice !!! (Bigger fin ; less down haul ;waist harness ?)

Slalom boards in Lanza ???

Been sailing from Los Chargos 20 years (+); nobody but nobody goes out on slalom on anything like decent days !!! Reading drivvle and BS on here sounds like everyone does !!
(except muddle heads who normally end up on rocks)

Lanza is probably best wave venue in Europe.(Well nearly in Europe) (Femara/Los Chargos) Your posting piks as examples of chop ! Nothing like chop. ! (Try Sotavento for chop )
Dude, I don't think you've spent much time tuning a slalom board! You're giving wrong advice by trying to discredit some good advice being offered here.

I think you'll find that Jesper said don't use extreme down haul. A bit more power does help to maintain the MFP and keep the nose down. And yes a bigger fin generating a little more lift will push the nose down as well, keeping the board calmer. A lot of successful racers do use a waist harness. Personally, a waist harness gives me a big control advantage in chop. I like to ride B&J /wave, but a slalom board can be a sweet and exhilarating ride when you really get it dialed, even in big chop!
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote