Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th October 2006, 01:11 AM   #1
sven

Default iSonic 111 trim set-up

to starboard team,

Comparing to other boards, like Falcon 111, it feels that the iSonic 111 sticks to the water and does not feel that lose on the water. I sailed it last weekend with standard fin 36 cm and warpf2006 7.8, my weight is 95 kg. Mast base position 130 cm from tail. I had a chance to compare it with a falcon 111 which feels lighter on the water and ride more on the fin. The iSonic lies flatter on the water and more sticky. It got a little better when I gave less outhaul on the sail getting some more lift. I could change the fin but I do not want to give in on control.
Don't get me wrong, I love these boards, I just want to get the most out of them.
I also have and sailed the iSonic 87, this board has a complete different character compared to the larger iSonic.
Any advice on set-up is welcome!thanks!

Sven
Holland
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 03:46 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: iSonic 111 trim set-up

Hi Sven,

Did you compare performance or only feel ? One of the trends of the iS111 is (as you comment ) to ride very flat, which is a positive and should not be confused with "sticky" which relates to board not totally breakingthru into top gear (and is more a performance issue than feel/sensation). One of the "problems" (???!) of iS111 is it feels very calm ("lies flatter") on the water, which can be misinterpreted to mean "slow" compared with a nervous or flighty ride from some other designs. Often the opposite is the case in reality, and the calmer board allows the rider to "push on" harder/further at the time that the nervous board is getting a little too flighty...

Obviously (if you were underpowered on 7.8m ??) then adding the larger fin would be an option if you really wanted to generate more lift (or more correctly the feeling of riding more on the fin), but in general powered 7.8m slalom conditions you should be fine with 36cm.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote