Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th April 2009, 02:28 PM   #1
dan e

Default Kode 74 awsome

Its been windy here in the sf bay. I' ve been using my Kode 74 quite often w/ sails from 4.0-5.0. Its the best high wind board i have ever tried. Very smooth, easy to sail when over powered. Super comfortable, effort less even in ridiculous chop. Nice grip when carving a gybe. Enough float to shlog.

Its so different from the older wave boards that I have used for high wind/ bump and jump.

I weigh 70 kg.

Dan
Kode 74, IS 86, 101, 145
NP Zone 4.0, 4.7, NP RSS MK3 5.5, 6.2, 7.0, 9.5
C3 Venom 28, 30, 36
Select RS7 51
MFC Free Wave 25
dan e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Good report. Congratulations to a great board which seems to fit you perfect. Kind of cool that the same shape can work in the conditions you describe and also work in perfect mast high Cabo Verde waves for Kevin Pritchard.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
dan e

Also this board needs minimum tunning to enjoy it unlike my slalom gear which requires precise settings.

Kode 74 settings;

Mast track = center
Front strap = center hole
back strap = foward hole
fin = center position in box

I used it again today w/ a NP Zone 4.7, MFC 25 free wave fin. Gusty bump and jump conditions. 20+ kts. Up wind, down wind no problem. It just accelerates in the gusts. Amazing board.

Dan
Old 27th April 2009, 12:04 AM   #4
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
Good report. Congratulations to a great board which seems to fit you perfect. Kind of cool that the same shape can work in the conditions you describe and also work in perfect mast high Cabo Verde waves for Kevin Pritchard.
Out of curiosity, how does the Kode 74 compares with the Acid 74, I see that the Kode is a bit shorter and maybe 0.5 cm narrower, but other than that?
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 01:52 AM   #5
Screamer

I would also like to hear about the differences Kode vs Acid, and I guess they are not that big.

I use my Acid74 in mental conditions (freshwater, 86 kg), never in proper waves. All my buddies were delighted with it's excellent high wind/messy water control, on days when we're all getting killed on our 85l boards.
Btw, unlike Dan, I sink straight to the bottom in lulls ;-)
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

They are very similar. The Kode has slightly more tailkick, I think. The rails are also changed a bit, the apex is lower to give a grippier rail but the release is softer to give a softer rail so the change is more about fine tuning the ride than to shift it in some direction (faster vs turnier).
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:24 AM   #7
benpfree

Hi,
I just received my new Kode 74. I had previously tried this board in October when I was in Maui and I absolutely loved it. It took me till now to get around to buying one but I'm really glad I did.

I live in the SF bay area and I bought my board from Pritchard-windsurfing. They shipped the board to me with excellent service.

However, I'm kind of troubled by the fact that Starboard, while making a superior product like this, can't figure out a better system for packaging boards. I hear that Naish is now using an eco-packaging system where they ship boards in a board bag and it does a lot to reduce all the waste. I'd really like to see all manufacturers move to this approach. I spent about 25 minutes unpacking the board and dealing with all the packing material, only some of which can be recycled. Starboard should be a leader in this area as well as in making the best board.

thanks
Ben
benpfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, the un-packing is a mess, but I still think all that cardboard, eps and bubble wrap protect the board quite a bit better than a thin board bag. I don't know if Naish uses some extra protection for nose and rails? Freight companys are unfortunately rather hard on the stuff. A really thick travel board bag would work, but that would be much more expensive.
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Screamer

Recycling?
I think there are much bigger problems than packaging.

I think that each and every one of us (windsurfers) is a mini eco-disaster. How many boards, sails, masts, fins, etc, we have wasted and thrown away over the last 10 or 20 years? Is old gear recycled?

OT sorry
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 12:22 AM   #10
dan e

Ben,

I replaced my straps w/ Dakine. My shoe size is 9M. I sail bare foot. I couldn't get the original straps to fit my size. Way too big.

Original fin is too soft. I'm using MFC Free Wave 23cm/ 4.0, 25 cm/4.7.

Dan