Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 11th May 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
TCM

Default Problems sailing IS133 '07' (80cm wide)

I sail this board with 9.0 & 8.0 Redlines but just cannot seem to get comfortable sailing this board. I am using Tectonics Tomcats 48 & 44 as I found the supplied fins not great. I am 86kg and have been sailing slalom gear for years as well as formula gear. I have a IS105 for 7m weather and have no problems with this. I find with the IS133 the back foot pressure is huge and my front foot tends to try and slip out so I am continually having to readjust my stance. This is less pronounced when broad reaching but becomes worse when reaching or trying to go upwind, in fact going upwind on this board is very disappointing. I know its not a formula board but when really powered up it should be relatively easy to go upwind. I have tried all sorts of things independently ie moving mast track just forward of 135cm when fully-overpowered, lower boom height, longer harness lines etc but still cannot get the board dialled. I used North Daytonas before the Redlines and had the same problems. Is this commen with the '07' 80cm wide IS133? I am wondering wether the IS122 might be a better option? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Tim
TCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Phill104

I have the same board and am similar weight to you. I too had the same problems at first but a little perseverence and I now really love this board. Upwind has never been a problem and I find it really good in this area. I always prefer the deckplate dead centre of the track and favour a highish boom.

If you search the forum for front foot coming out (irc) there are some really good tips about your problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
TCM

Thanks for the feedback Phill. I have tried various boom heights as well. A little undecided wether to persevere or possibly look at an IS122 or RRD120. As I have formula gear giving up a little bottom end isn't really an issue.
Cheers
Tim
Old 13th May 2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Phill104

I've tried the RRD120, easy to sail but the iS is leaps ahead on the speed front.

Maybe the 122 is right for your needs. My next board down from the 133 is a 115iS used with 8.5 and 7.8 Lightnings. The 115 works really well with the 8.5 which is why I have never thought of replacing it with the newer models. If you are not worried about bottom end then maybe you should consider the 111 if it is speed you are after though racing the 122 would probably be the better option. I'm not good enough to really judge so hopefully some of the more experienced sailors on here will pitch in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th May 2009, 06:00 AM   #5
TCM

Hi Phill,
Was it the '09' RRD120 you tried? Interesting you felt it wasn't on the pace. An IS122 would probably fit better for me as it is 9-8m weather. I have also been thinking of an '08' Manta 74 which I could get at a better price than an IS122. Biggest problem is not being able to try any of these boards before buying.
Cheers
Tim
Old 13th May 2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Expander

--

Hi Tim,

I have your same board (iS 133 2007) and, from about one year, I use it with a Severne Code Red 9.0

At first time, when I used a 2006 Warp 9.0, I had your same problem: front foot tended in escaping outside the strap and board was hard and really tiring.

I was considering to sell iS 133 when I have opportunity of changing sail with a CR 9.0: instantly board has become more comfortable and enjoyable and feet stay in their place.

As Phill104 said, with a little of perseverence, moving mast forward a little and adjusting harness lines length and position, finally these factors allowed me to appreciate and to love this board in mid wind contitions.

Anyway, please check this useful post:

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3117

As John1 wrote, problem ..."is the price we have to pay for the wide/short modern boards. Its a well known problem since the hypersonic.

Problemshouting:

1 Lower the boom
2 The mastfoot a bit forward
3 minimize the distance between the front and rearstrap (frontstrap backwards)
4 Smaller fin
5 A real stable sail when well powered up
6 Maximal downhaul..."
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
TCM

Thanks Expander
Tried all the suggestions. It may well be the sail although I have tried 2 different brands as initially I switched from north because I thought this may have been the problem. It maybe just me not being able to adjust my sailing style to suit although I have no problems on formula boards or smaller slalom boards and it becomes impractical to try loads of different sails and fins to get the board to work.
Cheers
Tim
Old 13th May 2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Expander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Thanks Expander
...It maybe just me not being able to adjust my sailing style to suit although I have no problems on formula boards or smaller slalom boards and it becomes impractical to try loads of different sails and fins to get the board to work...
--

I think my experience is similar to your (in two wind extremes I use Formula 161/11 and iS 111/7.3).

I think iS 133 (2007) is not a simple Plug'n'Play board like iS 111, for example... but, once you've found the right settings, I think it has a higher speed than 08/09 iS 133 (I don't like because too large) in mid to hi wind and, as I've experienced, it has a lower starting planing speed and a very near top speed than iS 122 (2008) in mid to low winds.

Cheers.
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 04:33 AM   #9
Phill104

I agree on the new 133 being too wide. It does seem strange to have 2 boards at 85cm though I am guessing it is to fit into the racing classes rather than what is best for the average sailor.

And yes, it was the 09 120 I tried.