Old 26th October 2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots
Default Ian: Isonic questions

Ian,

I have now an isonic 105 dram. Have over 2 weeks my money and maybe will buy isonic 87 and isonic 50. I am 19 and have only starboard experience and some old style slalomboards (thommen)
@my lake I am with my bro the only one with starboard isonic against a lot of falcons. I go just for speed @ the moment... and give 100% each run... But I have questions for final dissicion:

1)Sticky faster than lose????

I see a lot fanatic falcons flying at great speeds. Your board has to be lose for high speeds??? Or is it different fo isonics? I dont think so

I see the isonic 2006 from 105-135 as good allround boards. They have an awesome range. But!!! in the top end the isonic seems to lose the battle here in the Netherlands...
The sonic 85 is definitaly fast but not fastest around here... (@speed course)

That riding with low nose I know damaged a lot of chop But I always try to ride the board as high as possible on the water (fin)

@ not less ideal conditions: choppy/less wind the isonic is very fast compared to the rest

@pwa there was this year also not a hard blasting wind all the time...

2)The 2007 range looks not much different. The shape of the board is changed a bit, but I dont know the tollerance of production of starboard does it compare???

Dont get me wrong I like starboard verry much for 3 years now!

but I had an hypersonic with a finbox that was 3mm from the middle off the board. And the board was wider/shorter
My isonic has also sort off tollerances
I did on my hypersonic 37knots, so it is probaly not that important or even better over 1 side???
I feel difference between 2 the same boards! Yes I measure my boards, with certificated measurement tools
The boards are all good and the handle sort off the same...

3)Wood?
The isonic wood boards are 1590,- euro = more expensive then carbon laminate custom boards 1500,- euro. Is wood that expensive?? Or does starboard has a lot costs for innovation quality? I know custom board builders dont give real guaranty... Just tell whats it about with wood... If you tell me wood is softer than carbon and react much better on impacts (chop) I think... I have now dram board it is not super stiff and believe me in chaos chop I do not want a super light stiff board.

Thank you,

Erik
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: Ian: Isonic questions

Hi Erik,

Sorry for delay, I was travelling without internet connection in WA.

1) In general maybe some language issues between sticky and loose. Maybe sticky and free (as in "running free" ) are better option. Loose means more like waveboard - and that is not so precise abaout what we are discussing here. A loose speed board could feel very fast (nervous, over reactive) but not always show a fast time, a calm and controlled board might feel slow (or too safe) but record a very nice time. No question some of Falcons are good fast boards, but the scores are also well on the board/s ( ) for the iS family (both light and hi winds). I do know in Holland we really don't have too many of the top National riders locked on Starboard at the moment, but take a look at the GPSSS and the fastest slalom board rankings (of all) belong to Peter van Dyke on the S85 (predecessor of iS87). Also some of the very fastest Dutch speed riders tested iS87 etc and also gave a very good rating (speed) and of course loved the range and ride..

Also with the iS it's important to note the difference between the very flat trim (low nose) and the board sticking; simply having a low nose might look like stick but same way, a nice hi nose alone does not gaurantee fast nor control (at the limits).

2) Production tolerance is for sure something we had issues with in one or two cases (older boards) where hand shaped proto/s were proven to be the "best" result in testing and then used directly for mastering the final mould; on one hand ensuring faithful reproduction of the test results board, but on the other also reproducing any "error" also faithfully. The newer boards have each year had tighter specs, tighter tolerances and even higher manufacturing costs to tighten(reduce) the tolerances (especially on the race boards) to the lowest practical levels. I don't think in general use or measurement you find too many critical issues with the newer boards.
3) Wood. In itself, not an expensive product, especially in days of carbon shortage However the final process cost of a full wood board is actually quite expensive, and the reality is the commercial margin is less on Wood than Dram/Technora. if you ride a wood board over chop, then try the same in hi grade carbon (as opposed to glass with 3 strands of carbon) then the carbon board will be harsher, the wood board delivers a nice "crisp" ride without being to harsh nor too dead or soft. The ability for the board to retain a good and consistant rocker profile (essential in speed and hi performance) is better with wood than with cloth. You can see more of that info at http://www.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=16
In comparing custom with production, other than warranty, you also need to consider resale value, which although quite OK in some extra special custom boards, is usually an easier and higher % resale with a known and strong production board product.

Hope this answers your questions, but please let us know if you would like more info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote