Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 16th May 2009, 01:21 AM   #1
stevo

Lightbulb one board for the world????????

Hi, Can any one sort out my confusion.
I am a yachtsman who is about to go around the world all be it very slowly, 5 years.
I only have room for one board and am very confused on what to choose. I am basically looking fo a great bump and jump board that can handle all conditions with a high sail range. The smallest sail i will be carrying will be a 4.7 ice and i would like to go up to a 7.3 s type but if thats not poss a 6.5 will do. I want a board thats fast good around the corners and can deal with a little small wave riding as well as good in the air. Time on the water is key though.
I have been toying with the kode 94 & 102 or the futura 101. p.s. I way 75kg
Can anyone offer me some advise, many thanks
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
fran4065

Hi Stevo,
I guess you want to jump on your board from your mooring or anchorage...
The problem is that you will look for a quiet spot to anchor, and quiet means impossible to use a short board!
Pay a look to the Kona's board or similar with 5.5 or + to wave riding to 8.0 or - for cruising.
With a shorter board, be prepared to paddle to reach the open sea outside of the bay!
Good luck, and tell me when you will be in the caribbean, I won't be far away!
fran4065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Screamer

Stevo

I've answered in free forum. I haven't thought about lightwind conditions and wind shadows. I assumed shortboard conditions, but you should check again what you expect, with regard to what Fran says, it might be worth considering a longboard.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

A longboard could be interesting, but it is a totally different kind of feeling. Even considering wind shadows and such things, a 94 l Kode will easily float you good enough to get out to the wind line, just not as effortlessly as as a longboard.

Considering you write you want to ride som waves too, I think the 94 is the better size. It will have to be a very slow and soft wave or the 102 to feel OK at your weight. But 7.3 on the 94 is pushing it. With so long time at sea, I suspect you wil get more think enough days on the water with a 6.5 and the Kode94. I think it is worth the sacrifice since the 94 will feel like a better fit in anything but the lightest of winds.

Good luck on your trip.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Shayne

Hi Stevo,

My wife and I spent about 7 years sailing around the world, unfortunately I wasn't windsurfing then, it is depressing to think of all the deserted atolls and anchorages I could have been sailing in ....
For the last 5 years I have been windsurfing every chance I get from our charter catamaran, all over the Eastern Caribbean.

If you are taking the trade wind route around the world their will be lots of 20kt + days, but also there is still a lot of 15 kts or less. I spend a lot of the year sailing my 7.5 in 13 - 15 kts. When we go cruising again I will try really hard to fit 2 boards on deck, my Futura 111 and my soon to be acquired Kode 86. [ I am 65 kg ]

Often I do have to slog out to the wind line from the boat, it depends on what land mass is in front of you. It is never really a problem though. In close to the islands where we like to anchor our boats is not only a light wind zone but it is usually really gusty for a windsurfer, not just variable in strength but with huge direction changes. Maybe inland lake sailors can handle it, I hate it and try to anchor towards the edge of the anchorage with the best access to clear wind. I agree with Ola, I think you just need enough floatation to get you a hundred meters or so out from behind the island.

On a slightly different note, if I am going out of sight of the boat or into open ocean, I carry a small waterproof vhf radio. Just in case I ever had a problem and needed my crew to come get me. Now I have a big charter dinghy and plenty of help around if I ever needed it, so I am not too concerned, but this is something that deserves a bit more caution when it is just you and your crew at a remote anchorage in the Pacific somewhere, with a small cruising dinghy, and a 1000 mile drift to the next landfall.

Have fun,

Shayne
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 02:32 AM   #6
Per

Hi Stevo..
Great plans ;-) I'm a sailor too and I did spend some years living on my boat and I've been sailing around with my windsurf equipment stowed anywhere possible. The above mentioned points are right. Ancorages and serious windsurf spots are NOT the same place. One major point - unless your boat is a +60 footer - is space. You will need as little gear for as big a range of conditions possible. It will be a compromise. Especially because you will visit a variety of different locations.Can you stove under deck?
My favourite one board for everything is my Aero 127 (predecessor of the Kode, and I'm 95 kgs so you won't need 127 litres and I could cope with less, but again you have to deal with the go to the spot factor without sinking). Boards like the Aero (now Kode) have a HUGE range and they are SHORT wich is important if you keep them on your boat. You can probably do with three sails (maybe on two masts?) and beware of the booms. They occupy a lot of space. Fin and footstrap swapping add a lot to the range.
The Kode 102 may seem a little big to your weight, but it will carry your 7.3 and deal with your 4.7 (how many 4.7 days will you have close to a great anchorage?). It will float you anywhere and it's actually only a couple of centimetres wider than the 94.
It will be a compromise.
Have a GREAT voyage..

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 08:39 PM   #7
stevo

Thank you all for your advise.I am starting to get some ideas together. I think I am going for a 95 kode with a quiver of ezzy's 6.5 or 7m freestyle, 5.5 panther and a 4.7 panther.
The trouble is I have to take 3 masts.... I think I can uphaul it if the wind really does die and then drift home. A lot of the places I will hire a car so that i can get to the more premo spots.
Thanks again for all your advise
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Screamer

7m a bit big on that board, you won't gain almost anything (over 6.5).
Absolute minimum - take a 5.0(or 4.7) and 6.5 and deal with it ;-)

Not always comfortable, but possible.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:31 AM   #9
crash151

Hi sorry if a hijack your thread and go off topic. As my first reply here.
You guys that windsurf from your boats. How you rig your sails from the boat?

You just throw sail etc in the water and rig it their or take it to a beach? And also how you de-rig?
crash151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Shayne

I am on a 65 ' catamaran so I have it easy, I have enough deck space to comfortable rig on deck. When we do windsurf charters we often have a dozen sails permanently rigged all week and same number of boards in racks, It's cool, we are like a floating windsurf shop.
I've seen guys on smaller cruising mono-hulls though, rig and de-rig their sails standing on the aft deck, or swim platform of their boat with the sail in the water.
When my wife and I go cruising again one of the main criteria for our next boat is that a rigged 7.5 can be stored on the foredeck while at anchor. Although that will probably mean a 50' + mono-hull so maybe I am in for a reality check.

Cheers, Shayne
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote