Old 28th May 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
MortenL

Default old carve 111 to kode ???

I'm planning to change my old 2001 carve 111 into a kode. But don't know if I should go for the Kode 94 or 102. I usually go with 5.5 - 6.5 on the carve, 80 kg and it is the largest board. (maybei will go for an iSonic 122 witha 8 meter slalom sail for the light days)
Old 30th May 2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Screamer

The Kode is wider/shorter compared to 2001 Carve (more width for the same volume). You say you usually go for 5.5-6.5, which one is more important and do you plan to use smaller or bigger sails? Go for K94 (it can take even smaller sail if need be), if you also plan on bigger iSonic.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
mike

I'm close to your weight & have this board from a few years ago (Kombat). For K94, there's no question about the 5.5 - it's a good mix. The 6.5 can work but has limits. For one, you need the footstaps outboard. I've made a 6.5 work well with a 30cm fin. I never went bigger as I've heard the US box is questionable for larger fins. Even with sticking with 30cm max, I now have to shim the fin. A 6.5 can also feel big & "bog" the board down a bit. I recently got a 5.9 freestyle/wave sail - perfect! The type of sailing you do and how much you use the 6.5 may be a factor as to whether or not the Kode is the right choice. The more 6.5 you use and if you sail mainly back & forth & some jumping, maybe futura would be better?? If more 5.5 with some waves, jumping & maybe some more manouevors & new moves, then Kode.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote