Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th November 2006, 03:01 PM   #11
ole timer

Default RE: I sonic 94

I agree with you geo, i dont understand why, each time on this forum we ask something about the IS94 , the answer is : the is101 is fantastic, much better, my choice etc .... why do they make the 94 if it has no place in a quiver ?

I wanted to buy an is 94 which seems very adapted to my quiver ( 6 and 7 m Ezzy Infinity) but i begin to get in trouble ...
ole timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 03:17 PM   #12
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

Maybe it also had to do that the iS101 (105) has a much larger range of use. This board can handle bigger sails (tailwidth) and is of good use with much more curcomstances.

I uses the good old sonic85 with a 6.0 sail with strong winds and chop. I also used the iSonic105 in these conditions, but the sonic85 performed way better despite my 90 Kg's. The S85 feels smaller, softer and more comfortable in really highwind conditions. You keep it in the water more easy and the board itselfs doesn't make troubles by real on the edge surfing. More the sail will be the controlling part. With medium wind conditions and bigger sails the S85 really wasn't an option and the 105 a lot of fun while cruising or speeding around.

In the case of the iS101 and iS94 it might be the same story, maybe a little pronounced than for me, but the 101 will remain the board which has a wider range of use. For a two board option a 101 as a larger board gives more possibilities concerning wind, water and sails, but the 94 will certainly have conditions in which it will be more fun to sail than the 101, at least for some surfers.
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 10:11 PM   #13
geo

Probably the 94 takes the same style and behaviour of the 87 into 101 realm, where power is more an issue and wider tails are favourite. Nevertheless, if one wents to do with just one board instead of 87 and 101, I guess the 94 could be the solution. 6.0 and 7.0 instead of 5.5, 6.5 and 7.5. In my experience, once nicely powered up with a 6.6 and 30 fin my S95 (meaning: "iS94ish board") left nothing to be desired. Would the 101 be even better there? Maybe, but it would have been a really difficult task to convince me (85 kg.) to ride a board with a wider tail.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 02:32 AM   #14
ole timer

With one of my friends, we had to day an exceptional session with our two IS 94 at Six Fours ( known as Brutal Beach..)B)
The wind was close to 20 Knts ( in fact 18/25 knts) and there was shopy sea and waves about 1 m .
I used an Ezzy Infinity 6m and my friend a Gaastra GTX 7m
the board has a very hight speed and very safe feeling in that conditions, even overpowered like my friend was...( isn't it Don Pietro ?)
I am really curious to try a 101 to see is the feeling is much better, but i can hardly imagine ..
ole timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 02:02 PM   #15
geo

Ole,

glad to know "classic" board designs still have aficionados other than me.
I have your same curiosity. 18 to 25 knots must be the perfect "sweet spot" range not only for S100/S95/iS94 boards but, generally speaking, for slalom sailing itself; and in that range I can hardly imagine a better board than a narrowish, classic style 90 to 100 liters slalom board.
Here is the real point, IMHO. I am sure that if it was, say, gusty 14 to 28, the iS101 would have been better; but if one wants a prime board for prime conditions, meaning he will accept compromises in less perfect days but wants top fun on good days, then it arises the doubt that we would like Ian to solve.
After all, we are not team riders and we do not have to win at all costs each time. A bit like what happens when picking wave boards: people won't compromise on the best days, so mostly own a smallish radical wave board; but on lesser days will accept compromises, and use the same 100 lts. FSW they use in flat waters and Summer thermals. Specialization is accepted and seeked for prime conditions, not for else. Of course, if one can/wants to own lots of boards, he will get everything "specialized", but in a classic general purpose two board quiver you will see a small radical wave and a 100 lts. FSW. iS94 is equivalent to the "small radical wave": a prime board aimed at prime conditions.
We should also consider that the iS101 was developed for racing after a season that, as stated elsewere, gave KP problems in holey winds with S95, and is perfectly suited to the "animal" style of newly consacrated king of speed, AA.
Old 10th November 2006, 06:38 PM   #16
Ray Timm

geo,

I would like to see Ian's response to this discussion too. I have a S100 that I use with TR-2 6.6 and 5.9 and it is a wonderful ride in 18-25. I find it as smooth as my ST93, maybe smoother, and totally dialed for those conditions. I'm thinking about ordering an iSonic 101 based upon all the good things the team riders are saying. I know at times one can be suprised at how well something performs, like formula gear, that is different than what we're used to.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 01:18 PM   #17
donpietro

You have the reason Ole timer
IS 94 on the brutal beach spot was a great fun board session with you.A slalom board with a such speed and such control on 1 good meter waves it's too strong.It's my first Starboard but I think there will be others.
The 13 on the Fos ,spot very flat ,40 knts off shore , 6 m Gastra GTX ...Unfortunatly ole timer and his GPS was elsewhere.The speed ,despite the origin fin(I wait for a Gazoil)'was fantastic.The jibe full speed very easy.
A board with a very large range. B)
donpietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 12:59 PM   #18
geo

Really no hope to read Ian about this?
Old 20th November 2006, 05:11 PM   #19
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Geo,

Apologies to all, for too long I was away from www and travelling.

It's a good and long discussion, I'll give some detailed comments ASAP. Please excuse the delay, it's not my normal trend

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 06:15 PM   #20
geo

Ian,

glad you are back!