Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd June 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Unregistered

Smile Best iSonic for a 96KG guy

Trying to see which would be the best for me to take 111 or 122. I has been a number of yeas since I have surfed. And things obviously changed.

My old surfing buddy is starboard sponsored and recommends either 111 or 122 iSonic (both he says). Need to choose.

For 96KG 195cm person, which way should I go? Usually blows around 4BFT to 5 BFT, occasionally 6 to 7. The waves will go up to 1 to 1.20 meters not much more.

Maybe not even iSonic??
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:17 AM   #2
nonopr

If you haven't windsurf in the last 10 years I recommend a Futura 122. But if you have already windsurf with the new short nose boards then the isonic 122.
Enjoy
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonopr View Post
If you haven't windsurf in the last 10 years I recommend a Futura 122. But if you have already windsurf with the new short nose boards then the isonic 122.
Enjoy
Thank! Why the Futura 122? I did windsurf in the last 10 years, but not with the new short nose boards - Yet
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:25 AM   #4
nonopr

The futura is a great board that you wont outgrow. It is a bit longer than the isonic in the 122 configuration. It is very fast and very comfortable in chop.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
mim

In case you decide to go for iSonic, go for the 122. But be aware that it will be a semi sinker for you. I am 100 kg and when uphauling I finish with 30cm in the water.

But the board is really nice, and fast. If you talk about 1meter waves, do you mean a chop or swell. that would make a very big difference.
I used my iSonic 122 in a ugly chop last weekned and it works but it a bit more technical riding (but it still make a lot of fun...flying over the chop).

Good luck.

PS: no reports on futura from me, not it would not be a great board, I just have no experience with it, but for you it might be a better solution...

Ciao Michal.
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thanks guys!

I guess semi sinker is ok with me, unless with the no-nose things have changed considerably. Used to be about waist deep on my Screamer when things got slow , did not even have a rope to haul. Maybe gives me a reason to loose another 6-7 KG.

The condition is mostly swells. no breaking waves. By the way, what makes the no-nose such different then nose designs for sailing?
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Per

Hi..
I'm about your size (193 cm/95 kgs), and I sail an iSonic 122 with sails from 8.5 to 6.5. It's a very great board that carries its sails in surprisingly much wind. The no-nose design helps the board to stay on the water while sailing at max speed. The (no) nose on the 122 never gets caught by the wind so you can really squeeze the last drop of speed out of the board. From a 75 cm wide board the 122 jibes lovely, and it feels smaller than it actually is when sailing (it's actually 114 litres). I can uphaul mine with a 8.5 sail.
The 111 will be a sinker for you, but it will be a little faster and more controlled when the wind picks up (I've used the 122 in + 20 knots without any problems).
I don't know the futura but I had a lot of Carves. Actually my iSonic 122 doesn't seem to be quicker than my Carve 145 on max speed (I measure with GPS), but the average speed when maxed, control and overall handling of the short iSonic is superior to anything.

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Screamer

You've got some good advice above.
It's not easy to describe the differences between older narrow/long shapes and new wide/short ones. They usually have a bit wider wind range, and some modifications are needed, in sailing stance, gybing, etc. It would be best if you try one.

Furtermore, maybe you should consider a smaller board (than 122) and/or freeride/freemove shape. I say this because you used to sail Screamer, you have relatively strong winds, swell, etc, and maybe you don't need or want slalom/race shape. Again, try more boards if you can.

Good luck

PS I used to sail Screamer 103 in all wind strengths (when that was all I had), but really - there is no way you can sail any one board in force 4-5-6-7 (with any sort of comfort or fun). You'll need two boards, but you already knew that ;-)
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote