Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 7th June 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
abusofia

Default Windsurfing Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

My family (me, wife and two kids, 5 and 3 years old) is headed for the base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I'm looking for a board to buy before we move and love what I've seen from Starboard.

Two questions, I guess: 1. Does anybody know what the windsurfing is like there? I've read that the waves are surfable from time to time, but I've only longboarded in the past and it doesn't seem to be something I'd be spending a lot of time doing. My last windsurfing was on a slalom board about 12 years ago -- I was OK, but mostly liked to cruise around. I'd love a board that's great upwind.
2. What would I have the most luck floating my kids around on. It's kind-of a secondary concern, because I think they'd have fun floating on anything that didn't have a sandpaper-like deck, like I used to have. Oh, I think my wife would like to try it, but she's not super-patient, so the easier the better.

I'm leaning toward the GO series, though I like the SUPer's looks a lot. I don't see myself paddling ever, but it's probably surfable, should the waves ever be just right. If they both meet my needs, I'd simply go with the cheaper of the two. Oh, and what size for the GO?

That's it. I'd love to hear from anyone who's already been there, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
abusofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Tasteless message

Dave wrote:

> I'd love to hear from anyone who's already been there

For your family's sake, I hope you will not. And I hope that those who have been to Guantanamo as prisoners will have the courage to rise above bitterness and hate rather than giving in to the dark side.

As a school kid, you may have heard about consentration camps in Germany and Poland and wondered whether you yourself had it in you to sink as low as those who organized the camps. Now you know.

Christian NybÝ, Oslo, Norway
Old 9th June 2009, 06:59 AM   #3
abusofia

Default Dear Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dave wrote:

> I'd love to hear from anyone who's already been there

For your family's sake, I hope you will not. And I hope that those who have been to Guantanamo as prisoners will have the courage to rise above bitterness and hate rather than giving in to the dark side.

As a school kid, you may have heard about consentration camps in Germany and Poland and wondered whether you yourself had it in you to sink as low as those who organized the camps. Now you know.

Christian,

I wasn't expecting anyone to use this forum as a place to complain about US policy. You should know that among Americans, inside and outside of Guantanamo, there is great disagreement about the things that have occurred within the confines of the camps.

You should also know that Guantanamo Bay is our oldest foreign Navy base and I imagine it will be there for many years, whether or not Obama is successful in closing the camps. I hope he is. So, unless you want to rail against America for starting the Spanish-American war and taking that property, I think we can agree that what's happened to detainees is horrific (though I would say that it's much more similar to Japanese camps in the US, than the camps in Germany) and shouldn't have happened.

As to me sinking as low as the Nazis, you might also be interested in knowing that my wife has been on the defense teams of multiple detainees for almost three years. She's been trying hard to close the camps and ensure fair trials, even for those who, in fact, (not torture-induced confessions) are very real terrorists. She hasn't spent that time there without my support (remember the kids part? I'm a single father when she's gone).

So, do you know anything about windsurfing?

Dave
Old 9th June 2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Unregistered

Christian

I learned about Norway's concentration camps as a kid in school. Just Google it, very well documented.

So how about let's stick to windsurfing and someone answer the gentleman's question?
Old 9th June 2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Unregistered

Cool the truth

as jack nicolson would say while playing colonel jessop " You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Old 9th June 2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Screamer

Moderators

Time to hit delete I think.
We don't need this here.

Dave
I don't know the conditions there, but if you expect a lot of light wind cruising and want kids onboard, maybe you should consider something with a daggerboard.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 10:08 PM   #7
crazychemical

i think the Sub will probably meet your demands best. Light wind cruising, some longboard surfing and when the wind picks up you can do some real oldskool windsurfing (don't underestimate the longboards, just check the Kona website, it's full of longboards riding waves in 20 knots!). And even though you don't see yourself paddeling, your kids may enjoy it.

And @ chistian: seriously, the man asks a question about windsurfing! where he wants to surf is his business, what you did was way off topic and completely inappropriate!!!!

Moderators, i agree with Screamer, get this *********** off the forum asap!
Old 10th June 2009, 12:26 AM   #8
ic_spotz

How 'bout a Prodigy? Big enough to ride kids on and you can get on plane when the wind is kicking... I haven't been to Guantanamo since 1986 and I didn't really have much of a chance to windsurf at that time... we were busy working on our Battle "E"...
ic_spotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 12:59 AM   #9
chr

Default Dear Dave

Dave,

thanks for you calming answer. I'm happy that your household has been/is going to Guantanamo with the intention of improving the conditions of the detainees.

If you still would consider advice from this leftwing madman, how about bringing a secondhand formula board and a 10-metre rig? If conditions vary and your free time to spend on the water is influenced by other family members, formula equipment is great because it works from 10 knots up to 25. For the 5-year old, maybe a Go 100 or a Starsurfer could be fun? Even for yourself, when the wind is too strong for the formula setup.

Best regards,

chr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 08:05 PM   #10
abusofia

Default Thanks for the help

Thank you all for the great advice. I do like the longboard idea and the idea of getting something with a daggerboard -- great reminders, since I haven't been on a board in a while. I'd considered the Starboard Go and Bic Nova for example, but neither has a daggerboard.

Sail-wise, it looks like the winds are usually pretty light. Does anyone have thoughts on what I should start with for my first sail. I imagine that there will be a different answer if I buy something like a Rio or Prodigy or instead buy a longboard or SUP combo board?

My current thought is that I need to first buy a sail that will be best in light winds and then as I relearn how to windsurf, get something for higher winds. If I don't get any advice on that in particular, I'll probably go with whatever the board maker suggests for my weight and wind needs (oh, I weigh about 170-180, depending on what kind of running, swimming and biking I'm doing . . .).

Thanks again everyone!
Dave