Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th June 2009, 09:43 PM   #11
mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Severne cover their sails in a layer of paint.

Do you think this is a good performance enhancement?

I am not surprised the cams pop-off.

Load of crap IMHO.
Hey,

you are the first in this thread mentioning a colour print in the sail. And it might be a mystery for you but believe it or not cams are not poping out of the mast because the colour print in the sail.

Keep on posting, there is never enough fun!
Ciao M.
Old 11th June 2009, 12:55 AM   #12
Unregistered

I'm the guy with the 11.0 2009 OD. The color of the sails doesn't have anything to do with its performance.
The funny thing is that guy only have this reason to complain about Severne sails since long time ago.
I really like the performance of my OD 11.0, the only thing is pissing me off is that cambers thing and I think I will fix with the right spacers in the right places, it's a try and error stuff, just that.
Good winds everyone.
Old 11th June 2009, 02:55 AM   #13
mim

Sure you can try it with the spacers...I just tried exactly the same and it did not worked, the only thing you will obtain is much worse rotation of the cambers.

Note that you only can put one thick and thin spacer on each cam as a maximum...if you put more, the camber will not hold on the batten.

If your boom is long enough try to ass some tension to the sail...and when you finish look at the sail from the tip towards the base...if there is a certain area of the sail that you do not see (because of the profile) it is still deep enough.

PS: I spent 2 hours trying to optimize the spacers and batten tension, and it brought nothing.

I wish you good luck, if you succeed, post the final camber spacer settings...I might do the same to my10sqm to squeeze the best out of it in light winds.

Thanks,
ciao M.
Old 11th June 2009, 03:52 AM   #14
Unregistered

Hi Mim,
I didn't understand this "the camber will not hold on the batten". Can you explain that?
A friend of mine who has the same 11.0 sail put one big spacers in the bottom, one small in the middle and still with the factory spacer on the top batten (the small one I think) and he said that everything is working well even if he leaves the sail a bit loose. I'll try this tomorrow and start from scratch again.
Thanks. Good sailing.
Old 11th June 2009, 01:29 PM   #15
mim

Hi,

as I posted sooner.
In almost all OD I use thick at the bottom, and thin in the two upper cams.
I said if you want to add even more it is not possible...take the batten and and have a look at it there is a teeth holding the spacers close to the batten and holding the cam on the batten...if you add more the cam will not lock itself on the batten and it will fall down during the rigging.

Well if there are no specers in your sail yet, it is no wonder that the cams are not working...

Ciao Michal.
Old 12th June 2009, 05:05 AM   #16
Unregistered

Of course the colour of the sails does not make the cams pop-off. That is damn obvious.

My point was, if the designers think it is a good idea to cover the sail in paint, then I wouldn't trust much else in the design. ie cams & everything else.