Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th June 2009, 10:52 PM   #11
mim

Default hey unregistered...

not so fast mark...

It depends on your weight and what you want...

For riding (racing) yes...but if you are about 95kg and more you can forget uphauling and you will be suffering when the wind dies...

Ciao M.
PS: remember 122 actual volume is somewhere 113 liters...
Old 27th June 2009, 03:09 AM   #12
mark h

Hi Mim, good point and very valid. My take on this is:

I'm 105kg/194cm and used to be able to uphaul a 9m warp on my old 125. The 9m/125 was a real nice combo from 10k to 20k.

I replaced the 125 with a 111 and also find this no problem to uphaul, but admitedly, you have to "snap" uphaul and avoid doing it slowly (especially in chop/swell). I now prefer the 111/9m combo.

I understand that from time to time the wind does die when we least expect it, (& what pain it is when it does this), but no one usually rigs to be under-powered, so water starting shouldnt be a problem. I guess if possible, keeping an eye out for dying winds is best.

What I'm trying to say is, dying winds are a bigger problem in some areas, but if its blowing 30 knots, most people would take kit best suited to the conditions, not bigger in case the wind dies. Other wise, we would all be sailing on SB Rios all the time

Just my 2 cents worth

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009, 05:40 AM   #13
mim

Sure you are right...with plenty of wind there is not a problem for uphaul or waterstart.

You know, the problem is when there are two weeks of no wind...you take what ever comes...and sometimes there is just a few knots...and the frustration from not surfing just kicks you on the water even though it is obvious that when the wind gets weaker just a little bit you will not be able to watterstart and if you have abad luck the wind will die totally.

PS: me personally, for such conditions I have iS 144...where there is no problem at all.

Ciao M.
Old 12th July 2009, 05:12 PM   #14
prpa

Send a message via Skype™ to prpa

Hi Grant
I got my iSonic 150 2 weeks ago and finally after few days of right wind conditions
I can tell only good about a board. I am also ~95kg, so i.e. 2 days before I was
sailing in 18 knots with 9.0 and board was very good.

;o))
prpa is offline   Reply With Quote