Old 6th November 2006, 12:52 AM   #1
patator

Default An EVO 100L, when ??

Hi!

All 75 kg ( or 80 kg ) sailors can use EVO 90,91 or 92 for riding waves
in very light conditions because they don't sink.
When will starboard think at a 100L/101L/102L EVO for 90+kg riders ?
I have a standard wave board of 105L but I sink in non planning conditions...
I think such an EVO would have more buoyancy...

Now that Antoine is in your team, it could by geat !

I'm looking for a 105+ pocket wave and the only thing I'm currently
thinking of is Kombat 107L, but that's not the same construction.

Thanx for your answer !

Patator
patator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 04:00 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: An EVO 100L, when ??

I have no idea whats in the works, but the KOmbat Aero 117 should be on your "to try" list. Its "only" 6cm wider than the EVO 90 and has a faster rocker, but a big boy should be able to ride it pretty good. Actually, even at my measly 70 kg, the (2006) Aero 117 makes a surprisingly good bottom turn in smaller/slower waves.

The Kombats are very nice "extensions" of Pure Acids (pretty much same rocker and bottom) and if you like a Pure Acid in smaller sizes (classic type of wave riding style) you're gonna love the Kombat too. They have a beautifull way of locking into a hard carving bottom turn. So, a K107 could actually be a good board for you too (and don't be fooled bu the crossover classification, rails, rocker and such things are "all wave", only the outline is tuned by a bit more width fore and aft, generally not a problem for heavyweights).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 05:55 PM   #3
zots

Its called a surfboard. Even the biggest guys here use a 88 litre board max in true wave conditions in ligt wind. Comes with skill.
zots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Ken

Zots,

What's the minimum wind a 80kg experienced sailor can manage on an 88 liter board in the waves, and what sail size would be required?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 03:04 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Zots, Ken:

I agree that with skill you can get away with small boards. I'm 68 kilos and have spent lots of time with sub 65l boards as my biggest wave board and that has incuded some VERY light wind sailing on Maui. Now I would say that with only an EVO 70, I can be within 95% of max performance in at least 90% of all possible wave conditions and handle the rest 10% OK too.

That said, I've grown to like to sail bigger boards too. When the waves don't give you enough drive, I nowadays choose a board so big that I still have something to push against rather than just fiddle around on a small board. I've sailed the Aero and EVO 91, but for me, the EVO 80 is pretty much as far I need to go. So, with this in perspective I can understand that a 90kg guy would want something bigger too sometimes. the E80 for me pretty much coincides with a 100l boarf for a 90kg guy.

We had an unusual nice light 5.3 cross off day in Sweden the other day. Very hard to find speed, and while I could have been on the 70 or 80 and probably even gotten the occasional wave on the 62, the 80 was the perfect weapon:

Old 14th November 2006, 08:17 AM   #6
steveC

Hi Ola,

I'm under the impression that the 3 photos were shot serially on the same wave. I've got to admit that your one-handed desent off the top in the third shot was notable. You looked so casual and relaxed. DId you transition and drive off the bottom with another attempt at the lip down the line?

Looks like you're already wearing neoprene gloves. No doubt, temperatures must be falling in Sweden. Hang in there.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 03:18 PM   #7
zots

Dig the hood....your new name Ola...Captain Condom!!! How cold is your water there!!
Old 15th November 2006, 02:12 AM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

SteveC: It would be nice if the three images were in serie, but only the two first are. The one hand images comes from a one handed non-airial top turn. I will try to combine the two next time...

zots: It was a pretty cold day for sure, but not really at the limit of what is sailable. I guess the water temperature is somewhere around 10 degrees C and air temp was around 8-9 degC (and this is unusually warm for Sweden this time of the year...). Water temp is not really an issue, but air and wind chill effect is. I started out without hood and gloves but had to put them on after a while.
Old 15th November 2006, 07:43 AM   #9
steveC

Hi Ola,

I wouldn't want to discount the first two of three shots, as the tweaked off the lip in the second shot was very stylistic and trick. Clearly, you went for it in the off the lip setup. Hey, it would have been awesome if the third shot was serial. Quite cool nonetheless.

Good luck with the late year conditions. Fall, as a season, can offer unusally great sailing, despite the pressure of winter conditions. Although Fall where I live usually isn't as aggressive as many locales, we've been styling over the last week. Without a doubt, I'm very stoked.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 12:18 PM   #10
zots

Ola, suppose wwindsurfing in the cold is better than nothing, but my goodness, you guy's must have anti-freeze in your systems over there...and you call it 'unussually warm'

Cheers:

PS I have finally clicked with my Evo 74 this season...what a board.