Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th July 2009, 01:27 AM   #21
Floyd

Cool

Weight does have a great deal to do with it. Definitely.
Sort of agree with earlier poster re-heavier sailor having relatively less drag but not quite for same reasons.
Imagine heavier sailor is matching lighter counter part at say 30knots. Heavier sailor will need proportionally more under hull area to support extra mass; but drag is a function of area (for friction) and trailing edge lenght.(which is constant) A gust occurs; heavier sailor is able to take advantage (with his extra power) and his board accelerates. The extra speed will reduce surface area required to support his mass; so he will accelerate until drag and power are balanced again.He does have equal drag now to the lighter sailor but is travelling slightly quicker. (ie his weight only increases frictional water drag and not trailing edge drag;or aerodynamic drag which no one has mentioned !)

Heavier sailors definitely have relatively less aerodynamic drag which must play a part. (Its why down hill skiers also tend to be heavy; they have faster terminal speed !)

To my mind Antoine is heavier than equally skilled and more skillfull than equally heavy. (or heavier)

Bjorn is heavier than Antoine but not sure he should be ! In his "heyday" he was 95k !
I suspect Antoine has better body mass index. (At moment) ie suspect Antoine is the stronger !!!

Has Bjorn put weight on to go faster ????
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 11:28 PM   #22
Unregistered

Default good sail - fast board - perfect trimm

you guys forgot the factor of a good setup of the board and sail
and these np race sails are really fast this year!
:-) chris
Old 24th July 2009, 11:53 PM   #23
Unregistered

Cool

We could all get that and not catch any of them let alkone Antoine !!!
Old 25th July 2009, 12:48 AM   #24
Deja Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you guys forgot the factor of a good setup of the board and sail
and these np race sails are really fast this year!
:-) chris
It'll be interesting to see if any of the other sail manufacturers copy the NP sails or if some racers not on NP sails move over to NP. That's what will give us, at least, some indication about just how good the new NP race sails are. I'd love to know what some of the top racers thought of their competitors' equipment.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:08 AM   #25
Ken

There are several great slalom boards and sails, it's the "driver". Slalom depends so much on a good start (sailor skill) and managing the demanding conditions (sailor skill and board?) that the PWA has been racing in this year. To be the best in slalom, you must be consistent, sometimes getting blown away by a faster sailor that hit everything exactly right, but it's finishing at or near the top in the majority of the races that determines who's the best. That's skill, not equipment.

Sails have little to do with Antoine's success and I doub't that anyone will copy NP race sails. Too many other sails that are just as good or better. Antoine would win on any of them.

The top sailors are sponsored by sail manufacturers and don't usually have the option of choosing another brand. If they are in the top three of the PWA, they probably could go to the company of their choice and possibly get sponsored ($ and equipment), assuming the company hadn't spent their budget. If you are in the top 20, you probably could get any sail you want, but the $ (pay) may be a different story. All of this is just speculation, but I bet I am not far off.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:29 AM   #26
Unregistered

Cool

Wasn`t original question asking why Antoine is faster !!???
He`sbigger and better than others !!!!

Heavier sailors must have less drag (relatively).

Your top speed is when drag and power are equal ???? (but opposed)

If not why else are heavier sailors (generally) faster ????
Old 25th July 2009, 10:01 AM   #27
Unregistered

well changing board sponsers has made no difference to his speed.
Old 25th July 2009, 10:07 AM   #28
Unregistered

I modified my 6.2m race sail by reducing the clew(like the NP EVO11) by about 20cm and it has definelty made a big difference in the handling of the sail it's extra ability to exhaust the ultra strong gusts while maintaining easy handling.Didn;t lose no low end power and jbing has become a dream.Thumbs up for compact clew!
Old 25th July 2009, 07:08 PM   #29
Unregistered

Quote:
I modified my 6.2m race sail by reducing the clew(like the NP EVO11) by about 20cm and it has definelty made a big difference in the handling of the sail
Can you open a new thread with some photos ?
There is also peterman.dk with something similar.
Old 25th July 2009, 08:54 PM   #30
Deja Vu

Quote:
well changing board sponsers has made no difference to his speed.
That's debatable. He seems to be winning more decisively than ever now. There are obviously three or four board brands that are very competitive. I wonder how his results will affect JP sales - it sure won't hurt! It won't hurt JP's test results either since knowing its a winning board will make some positive impression on the testers (which may have been the case previously with SB). Why else pay someone "big" money to sail your equipment unless it translates into better sales? AA certainly seems to be earning his keep.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 25th July 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote