Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd August 2009, 03:14 PM   #11
leysenkr

That is a spin out.

For a moment, his sail is depowered (opened) and then he spins out.

Last edited by leysenkr; 2nd August 2009 at 03:17 PM.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:46 PM   #12
Floyd

Cool Spin out ???

I never saw any sign of spin out in video ??? But ???
He`s sailing (in most of video) well off wind. (120 degrees +) Look at wind direction on water/waves.He`s on a speed board and well well powered up. If I looked anything like that I`d be chuffed ??? He suffers a slight control problem (big for us) when playing; think he got a bit of aeration on jump ???

Good luck.

PS have things really moved on since that video was shot ???
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:15 PM   #13
leysenkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I never saw any sign of spin out in video ??? But ???
He`s sailing (in most of video) well off wind. (120 degrees +) Look at wind direction on water/waves.He`s on a speed board and well well powered up. If I looked anything like that I`d be chuffed ??? He suffers a slight control problem (big for us) when playing; think he got a bit of aeration on jump ???

Good luck.

PS have things really moved on since that video was shot ???
@ Floyd:
Please define Spin out.
For me it is the moment that the fin starts to slide more sidewards through the water. Not perfectly straight in to the sailing direction.

Last edited by leysenkr; 2nd August 2009 at 06:18 PM.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Floyd

Red face Apologies !!He does spin out !!!???

You are right. I watched video again. He does spin out , (but recovers with help of rig !!!) a few yards after sailing with no hands !!! (When rig had come back !!!) (see below cause C or B ; perhaps a combo?)
Missed it first time; he had a slight "moment" after a chop hop early in video; was assuming that was that was "the spin out".

Ps Fin is never travelling straight through water ; it always has at least 3 degrees AoA. (look at GPS trak logs its amazing just how much side slip there is !!)

Spinout is when;
a) Force going into fin is greater than lift generated; fin stalls and spins out sideways. With modern fins travelling fast unlikely to happen. (Look at amount of drive AA puts into board without spinout)Generally happens when board is loaded too early.(ie at too slow speed)

b) Lift created by fin degenerates. (Aeration) so board spins out.(Likely cause in choppy water)

c) Centre of effort (of sail) moves behind centre of resistance of board; board should luff but sailor footsteers down wind. Board will spin out. (Its effectively overloading fin)

IMO its nearly alwayd B or C that causes spinout. Overloading a good fin takes some doing.(If everything else is ok)

Hence try moving your lines back ;to almost too far !!?? (ie you are over loading front hand)
Just try it . (But be carefull rig doesnt spill as easy)

PS
All the books talk about cavitation. Personally dont think we ever get true cavitation but thats another argument !!!
Good sailing

Apologies again.
Old 3rd August 2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Unregistered

Spinout is when;
a) Force going into fin is greater than lift generated; fin stalls and spins out sideways. With modern fins travelling fast unlikely to happen. (Look at amount of drive AA puts into board without spinout)Generally happens when board is loaded too early.(ie at too slow speed)

I think this is the case with me, need to find a way to generate mast foot pressure more consistently
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:35 PM   #16
Ken

The fin itself can be a big problem. Some fins "push out or spin out" more easily than others of identical size. Some that spin out are VERY difficult to pull back in unless you drop your speed below 10 knots, while others come back with little or no effort at any speed. The Drake fins that come with the iSonic boards are good examples of fins that spin out easily, while just about any good aftermarket custom fin works much better (in my opinion).

I think Starboard / Drake fin design was based on downwind slalom and speed,so they created fins with very little foil shape for less drag. However, for beam reaching or upwind in choppy water, spin out can be a big issue.

Sailor skill plays a big role in all of this. Knowing how much pressure you can put on your back foot, plus keeping the board flat on the water in choppy conditions (no air under the board), both come with experience.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 02:20 AM   #17
Unregistered

I use a select s-ride 34cm fin (freeride fin, upright shape with a bit of curve)
would a smaller size help on an oldschool narrow tail board? I never have problems when reaching slightly downwind, only beam reaching or upwind, i can almost push the tail sideways at will, even when it feels that I,m comfortably powered up.
thanks!
Old 4th August 2009, 04:22 AM   #18
Floyd

Cool

Think you need to be more specific.
Rig ? board ? Weight? Water conditions ? Both tacks ?? and even speed its happening at ???

Dont think going smaller will help at all ; too big a fin causes other control problems. (Unless fin is damaged)
Old 4th August 2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Ken

The tail width of your board is important for fin length, but at 63cm at it's widest point, a 34 cm fin seems fine. Going smaller is not needed, going larger may help, but control issues may surface if you really get going fast.

You may need to borrow some fins to see if something else works better, to help you decide if your fin is bad. I don't know anything about Select s-ride fins so I can't offer an opinon.

Your technique may be an issue. When getting started, bare off until you get good speed. 20+knots of board speed, then begin heading up with more pressure on the fin. If you achieve 25 knots of board speed, the fin should not spin out unless you are in choppy water and air gets under the board while you are putting pressure on the fin.

What's your sail size and wind conditions when you spin out? That will help us understand the situation better.

Two sailors on the same board, fin and in the same wind (20 knots), one on a 5.5 sail and one on a 7.5, both "comfortably powered", one is traveling at 20 knots and the other at 30 knots. This is where skill and experience play a role.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 11:48 PM   #20
Unregistered

I guess it is more of a skill than fin issue with me, I will try different things and post if I solve the problem