Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th July 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
mario.milhazes

Default Uphaul on a Futura 101 L

Hi

Im thinking in buying a Futura 101 L 2009 and my question is that can i uphaul if the wind goes away and i cant do waterstart?

Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Unregistered

It depends upon your weight and skill level. If you are an intermediate-advanced sailor and weigh <85kgs, you should be able to uphaul it. Since they are relatively wide Futuras are not difficult to uphaul.
Old 30th July 2009, 01:01 AM   #3
mario.milhazes

My weight is 78kg and im an intermdiate salior

Last edited by mario.milhazes; 30th July 2009 at 01:08 AM.
mario.milhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Ken

Mario,

It also depends on what the actual volume is on the 101. Starboard uses "virtual volume" frequently when stating volumes, which means that the "real" volume could be a few liters less than 101. If that is true, then uphauling may be a bit more tricky than you think.

I also weigh 79kg and a advanced/expert sailor. For me, uphauling a 90 liter board is pretty tricky, uphauling a 95 liter board, is a little tricky, a 105 liter board somewhat easy and a 115 liter board is easy. I don't sail "sinkers" often so I don't get a lot of practice.

I have been windsurfing 24 years and because of the variable wind conditions and wind shadows that I sail in, I really need to know the "real" volume of my boards (are you listening Starboard?).

See if someone out there knows the real volume of the F101.

And yes, you will be able to uphaul a 101 liter board, but it will take some practice. If there is a lot of wave action, it will be very difficult. Flat water - not so hard.

Hope this helps.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 02:39 AM   #5
leysenkr

Hello Mario

I have a Futura 101L 2009 and weigh 72kg. For me it is possible to uphaul when there isn't enough wind. But it is not made for uphauling all the time. You really get tired off keeping balance.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 05:09 AM   #6
mario.milhazes

Hi Leysenkr

As you have the board that im buying, it will arrive in 10 days, i would like to ask you your experience on this board:

1 - Does it sink when you are uphauling?
2 - Does it go well through choppy water?
3 - Is it easy to control?
4 - Are you happy with the board?
5 - Is it your smaller or intermediate board?

I have been doing a lot of thinking and couldnt decide between the 111L or the 101L because im coming down from a 130L for the first time.
I sail for 2 years and can do harness, footstraps, beachstart, waterstart and tack so i think this board would be the next move down, i hope i wont regret it.

Thanks for your time
Old 30th July 2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Mario,
I can uphaul the Futura 101 and my weight is about 80 Kg.
It will be a little more "tricky" at first, when compared to your 130 liter board (which board....? the width can make a big difference if you are coming from a board that's really wide to something narrower).
You will find that you need to manage your balance and foot positioning for both the roll (side to side) axis and to some degree the pitch axis (fore and aft).
Once you sa1l the F-101 for a little while you should easily figure out where you need to stand on the board to get good trim in both axes.
The F-101 does nicely in 15-22 knot conditions with 7.5 m2- 5.0 m2 rigs. The water gets fairly choppy beyond 16 knots.
It will be easy to control, like it's predecessor boards (the proverbial board for all reasons/seasons Carve 99, Carve 101 and now the Futura 101.
They've been able to take all the good design features of the Carve 99 and bring them forward in an evolutionary manner, adding more modern features like tail cutaways, more iSonic like stern configuration, etc.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 30th July 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 06:45 AM   #8
mario.milhazes

Hi Roger

Thanks for your tips.
I have a fanatic Shark LTD that is 70cm width......so i think moving to the Futura 111 L that is 68cm wide would be to close and would still be uncomfortable in choppy conditions.
So i think the 101 L is the best option...as it is 65cm wide and could go trough choppy much better.
I can waterstart, but i must also be able to uphaul if the wind goes down so i can return to shore...

Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
leysenkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario.milhazes View Post
Hi Leysenkr

As you have the board that im buying, it will arrive in 10 days, i would like to ask you your experience on this board:

1 - Does it sink when you are uphauling?
2 - Does it go well through choppy water?
3 - Is it easy to control?
4 - Are you happy with the board?
5 - Is it your smaller or intermediate board?

I have been doing a lot of thinking and couldnt decide between the 111L or the 101L because im coming down from a 130L for the first time.
I sail for 2 years and can do harness, footstraps, beachstart, waterstart and tack so i think this board would be the next move down, i hope i wont regret it.

Thanks for your time
Hello Mario

Then you did the sale off your life ;-). It is the nicest board I ever had. I bought it at exact the same moment as you did (same skill level at the beginning off this year). It will be a little tricky at first but you will learn a lot on it.

1 - Does it sink when you are uphauling? Not with my 72kg and I think it will handle 6kg more also.
2 - Does it go well through choppy water? You don't even notice that there is chop but the board loves a lot off back foot pressure. Also keep full pressure on it if you go through chop.
3 - Is it easy to control? This board is very easy to control. But back foot pressure is needed.
4 - Are you happy with the board? The best board I ever sailed. (With renting during holidays, I tried many boards(for someone who surfs for 3 years now)). And it is also fast! I got scared the first time planing on chop.
5 - Is it your smaller or intermediate board? For now it is my smallest but I will buy myself a 76 or 80L at the end off this year.

This board is mainly sailed with 6 and 7m. I also surf it with 5,3m. In the lower wind conditions with the 5,3m it was also nice surfing but when I had to trim the 5,3 m completely to prevent getting overpowered, the board started to stick on the water. Then I felt that I should find another trim (sail backward) or buy a smaller volume. I have to admit that my 5,3m isn't such a powerful sail. But 6 and 7m still makes me dreaming ;-). As smooth as a baby's butt ;-).

Last edited by leysenkr; 30th July 2009 at 11:25 AM.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 05:04 PM   #10
mario.milhazes

Hi Leysenkr

Thanks a lot for your input.....i hope i will have the same fealing about the board as you.

When you are going doing in volume you are always afraid that you wont be able......it was like that when i came from a 160L to 130L.....it took me 2 days to get
use to it (it was a 10 cm width difference)

I intend to sail the board with sails between 5 and 7m and then use my Fanatic Shark 130L for my 8.0m sail and next year buy a Kode 80L to sail under 5.0m thats about 10 days a year in my spot.

Dou you have more than one fin for the 101L?