Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 2nd September 2009, 09:47 AM   #1
bratg0

Default Rio M fin size difference

Hi Roger,

I have a 2007 Rio M with a 8.5 rig and R13 Race 520NR (near vertical) "Drake" fin. I'm looking for as early planing as possible. Answering the "olzcyk" (has similar rig set up) threat you advised him to go to a fin in the 56-60 cm range for optimum early planing. My fin is 4cm shorter than the minimum suggested by you. Do you think that those 4cm are so critical that I still have to upgrade my fin to 56 or bigger in order to get my board to plane earlier? What length weed fin is going to be good for me 17" or 18.5", any brand recommendations based on USA market?

Thank you in advance for your answers and advice!
bratg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi bratg0,
Changing to a larger vertical race fin is the least expensive way to get earlier planing.
Yes, an upgrade of as little as 4 cm in span can make alot of difference.
On the range suggested, I'd make the best early planing range in the 56-62 cm range.
If you need to buy a fin to get into this range, I would look for a 58 or 60 first and
56 or 62 only if you can afford them. 4-6 cm is a good "quiver spread" for vertical race fins.
In the USA, I like both Tangent Reapers or True Ames Shallow Water Weeds on the wider boards and True Ames Blade Weeds on my smaller boards.
For the Rio M, 17" (43 cm) or 18.5 (47 cm) will work pretty good.
I'd check out the Tangent Dynamics Reaper 42 and 46 to get into that size range. If you go with True Ames, the 39 cm (15.3") or the 44 cm (17.5") would be my choices for your board.
If you go with the Blade Weed, I'd suggest the 17" (43 cm).
The 18.5 would work, but might be a little "draggy" unless you are using sails in the 9.0m2 + range.
Hope this helps,
P.S. Remember, weed fins have alot more area than vertical race fins, so you can run smaller weed fins .
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 02:24 AM   #3
olzcyk

There's a huge difference between your 52 cm Drake and f.ex. 59 cm freeride/-race fins, been there done that.

I have now in my 155 go both 52 Drake and 59 cm Tekknosport and with my 9.0 Gator there's only one option. The Drake tends to spin out a lot easier and there's simply not enough vertical (??) resistance in it. Upwind performace in also from another planet.

Go for bigger, it pays!
olzcyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 02:20 AM   #4
olzcyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzcyk View Post
and there's simply not enough vertical (??) resistance in it.
That would be LATERAL, of course
Old 9th September 2009, 04:21 AM   #5
bratg0

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzcyk View Post
There's a huge difference between your 52 cm Drake and f.ex. 59 cm freeride/-race fins, been there done that.

I have now in my 155 go both 52 Drake and 59 cm Tekknosport and with my 9.0 Gator there's only one option. The Drake tends to spin out a lot easier and there's simply not enough vertical (??) resistance in it. Upwind performace in also from another planet.

Go for bigger, it pays!
Hi Olzcyk,
Did you switch from RioM to 155GO?Based on your experience how different is the ride with the Go compered to the Rio ? Which one you like better?
Thx, for the replay and happy sailing!
bratg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 03:02 AM   #6
olzcyk

Yes I did. The difference isn't that big you could think. Of course tacking and jibing is a bit wobblier especially if there's any waves but the ride itself feels basicly the same. I feel it planes as early as the Rio and feels a lot faster and more lively. I think it was a perfect step down for me after one summer training (95kg pure meat).