Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th September 2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Screamer

Yes it's venue related, but it's also about one's attitude. I know several sailors in my area who sail mostly Formulas or large slaloms, in sheltered waters, gusty, etc, and to quote Floyd, I am positive they would rather be on an 8-11m than a 6m. They don't want to venture outside their habits and comfort zone, and they actually DON'T want the wind to blow too hard (in order not to disturb the water so there is chop larger than 4 inches ;-)))

PS I think mac33 is either:
a) fishing
b) arrogant or
c) about 16 years old
No offence ;-)

Last edited by Screamer; 15th September 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:49 PM   #12
Ken

Farlo,

On the contrary. Where I sail, a few of us try to encourage others to go bigger when they are slogging or just planing, while those of us with big sails go blasting by. I personally choose the smaller sail when I am trying to decide what to use for a given situation. I would rather be a little under powered than overpowered. With adjustable outhauls on my 5 largest sails, it is rare that I have come in a change sails.

In time, most sailors find what sail sizes work best for them, and if they are happy with their choices, either large or small, so be it. I don't see a general trend to "larger" sails in our area, except for those with formula or similar gear. I have never seen anyone complaining about their sails being too large, unless they just made an incorrect choice for the day and have to re-rig.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:05 PM   #13
mac33

Default sail size

i agree my setup of rigging unusually small size sails for conditions does not work for everyone and probably very few however if sailors were prepared to give it a go they may be surprised to find it can for some work.i rig not just with some negative outhaul but pretty much with max negative.this alone makes huge difference to bottom end.a larger than needed light board on a small sail makes board more lively and improves planning ability.today in 8/15 conditions i tried my other board that i failed to mention a f2 x/speed 64 wide and around 7.5kg.i rigged my rs6 5.8m on it ,i was for most part fully powered up.i rigged way below manufacture specs for outhaul and less downhaul[top batten] just startimg to twist off.i could easily have held up the 8.2m as someone mentioned earlier albeit with more out/down.however i do not believe i would have sailed any faster/better than with my smaller setup. gybing an 8.2m i am more prone to ending up in 17 degees swan river.
mac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 12:25 AM   #14
Farlo

Floyd, Ken... I refer to ~15 Knots conditions which are prevalent on my spot. I don't say all sailors use big sails. In 20+ Knts there are much less people on water and most have small sails anyway, but this does not happen very often. Our local shop always push intermediate sailors for bigger sails and wider boards (everything smaller than 7.5 and 70 cm will not work, etc). This is not necessarily bad advice, there are more F3/4 than F4/5 days. But I'm always surprised by the number of 8+ sails cruising here in 15 Knts. For me it's way too big unless you head for the speed record, and even so.

Mac33, this is probably a matter of taste but I find my sails to work better with max downhaul and some outhaul, notably upwind. I very rarely change my settings and still cover a broad wind range with one sail. Lightweight helps in the low end and max downhaul in the high end.

Last edited by Farlo; 16th September 2009 at 12:34 AM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 12:17 PM   #15
macho

Default Size matters

One size fits all, I dont think so I prefer to rig for the conditions, 70-75kg I use 6.3 - 7.0
most of the time from 12 - 22 knots. Suits me fine nothing macho about it I'm not scared of a bit of power in the sail and prefer to plane more than float which I am sure is not the case with our one sail friend.
Guys sail with what suits them so don't presume so much...
Old 17th September 2009, 05:41 AM   #16
Finian

Question Sail size

Mac, I reckon you should open a clinic, then people would have somewhere to go to learn how NOT to 'rig it right'. I have a great idea - Instead of deforming a 5 metre (no downhaul tons of negative outhaul) to get the same results as a 6.5 - use a 6.5 instead. Ever wondered why no one else is using a 5 mtr in 12 knots ?
Old 17th September 2009, 05:34 PM   #17
mac33

Default sail size

for the conventional sailor your point is valid [turning a 5.0 into a 6.5 ] by means of less down/outhaul. my main and still valid point is that for a 70kg and under in around 12/16 knots a 5.0m race sail rigged with max negative can get you planning and powered up PROVIDED you use a bigger than required 95/100litre lightweight board. most sailors and people in general are set in concrete in there ways. i was told in the ledge to lancellin ocean race 15 or so years ago, run in around 10/16 knots that anders bringdall won the race on a 50cm 4kg board and a 6.1m sail.my unconventional way can work. if wind increases its alot easier to increase out/down than change down sails. most people believe with absolute certainty the official theory of 911, myself i believe something completley different, just as with sail/size choices.each to there own but its good to keep an open mind as in trying something different. surprise ,surprise you may change your opinion.
mac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 07:06 PM   #18
Floyd

Question

Mac
I`ve sort of lost what your point is ??? Are you really saying that its possible for a 70k sailor (you) to plane (effectively; upwind ?) with only a 5 metre sail in 12 knots of wind ?
And if so; to what advantage ???? Just rig correct sail up to start with ????

Are you LeeD ???

Think your point re -open minded is fair enough but suspect windsurfers aren`t a dogmatic bunch anyhow? All I know are always looking/trying to get max TOW with least hassle?!!

I used to have a mate who could get a Jimmy Lewis speed needle going in 15 knots and often boasted about it ? He never went any faster than us and missed every jibe but if sailors want to put themselves at a disadvatage to prove a point thats upto them !!!

Changing rigs takes 5 minutes ???

A baggy 5 metre will never perform like a properly rigged 6.5;its profile would be wrong for upwind; on a reach maybe ????
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 09:27 PM   #19
Ken

Floyd,

You hit it on the head with - "All I know are always looking/trying to get max TOW with least hassle?!!

I think almost all of us strive for that goal. However, there will always be a few guys that enjoy being a bit radical, just to be different than every one else. I get that and they are welcome to do their thing. I do my thing knowing that it's not for eveyone, but it gives me max TOW, exciting performance with maximum control in *2 - 35 knots.

*I have a 1985 Mistral Superlight with its 6.3 original regatta sail that I bought new 25 years ago and still use it on those 2-8 knot days for light wind racing & freestyle .
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 09:42 PM   #20
Farlo

Hi Mac 33, sails of 15+ years ago were not like today. A Tiga Power Slalom 5.0 would probably have got me planing in ~13 knots. So I believe you can do it with a Vapor, but not sure you get that much fun. 5.8 and 7.7 are not so big sails. Also you mention 52, 58, 64 cm. These are not wide boards to actual standards.

Last edited by Farlo; 17th September 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote