Old 23rd November 2006, 05:23 AM   #1
davide

Default Isonic 73

I own an "old" Starboard Slalom 52 (cm wide) that sees a lot of use in the Summer at San Francisco Candlestick. It often blows very solidly overpowered 5.6 conditions that seem perfect for the board (and my weight, I am 155/69Kg).

The board is doing fine but it is getting old and when time comes to replace it ... I see a hole in the lineup. I could get an isonic 87 but it quite bigger and the alternative is the scary I-50 (floatation-wise, wind is offshore at Candle)

Why not offering something between the 87 and the 50? Like a nice 73 liters, 52cm wide version of the "old" S52
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 08:59 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: Isonic 73

Hi Davide,

You're correct. And we had a lot of comments along those lines.

And the better news is that it has not escaped our attention...

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Christine
TEAM

Hi Ian,
I think the same thing than Davide! I am 165 cm and 60 kg and I am dreaming of a small slalom board, 70 liters...
Cheers
Christine
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 10:24 AM   #4
G-42

Davide,
I think this would probably scratch your itch:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl?db=boards&website=&language=&sessio n_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_for mat=long&db_id=11723&query=retrieval

-Andreas
G-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
davide

Quote:
Ian Fox wrote:
Hi Davide,

Cheers ~ Ian
Evviva! I'll get ready for a nice retirement party for the S52

PS or check out the Roberts suggestion given below by G42, although I was never really impressed by their boards: the insistence with AVS seems a bit of anacronistic and I wonder if that transfers to updating their shapes. The slalom seems very dated, including the pointed tip (oh, how I miss the old times when you could enter the thigh of another sailor with your board as if you were a knight from the middle ages ) ... dated sometimes is good ... but
Old 29th November 2006, 08:56 AM   #6
steveC

Hi davide,

I bet the Roberts is a lively rocket that offers a sweet rocker in the tough stuff, but more than anything, it is very likely built very well and will last a long time. Also, the price is very attractive.

Regarding the AVS thing, I have to point to Mike Zajicek as one designer/builder that's still incorporating a piece of rubbery material behind the fin of his formula boards to stablize its drive (see the new L7). Being the winner of the Cal Cup racing for 2006, it's hard to fault the concept. Being a SF Bay area sailor, I'm sure you're aware Mike's awesome talent, both as a designer, builder and sailor. Personally, I'm a long term dedicated customer, so I really do appreciate the performance subtleties and craftsmanship being offered.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 09:33 AM   #7
davide

Point well taken, I still have a Mike Lab's pre-formula 80cm wide that I cerish for its performance and immaculate craftmanship. And one cannot really judge a board (in this case the Roberts) from just a photo on the Web site (... although ... the slalom does look absurdly pointy! maybe it is an old photo) ... so ... I take it back what I said and maybe will do some investigation on the Roberts Slalom. B)

Or even better ... check oute Mike's offering for a slalom rocket
Old 4th December 2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Ruud

Quote:
Ian Fox wrote:
Hi Davide,

Cheers ~ Ian
when is this board due (2007 or 2008 model)
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

All the 2007 boards are on the web site, but it's normal that we are collect information for the future.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote