Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st December 2006, 06:50 AM   #11
Randy

Default RE: Serenity

I've got mine on order too. In the meantime, I'm sailing my Mistral Competition in light wind too. BTW - I'm thinking it will be a good compliment to my hypersonic. Once there's too much wind for the Serenity, I figure I can get planning on the H105.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 08:16 PM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Guys,
I've decided that I won't travel the 832 miles from sunny Pine Island on the west coast of Florida to Raleigh, NC when the weather forcast suggests a huge and dangerous storm system is coming through there today with a 20 deg. drop in temps for the weekend.
I'll try to find another race here in Florida.
Keep me posted on the TBC event schedule and I'll try to make your early next spring race when hopefully I won't be as far away.
Sorry to disappoint, but 160 + gallons of diesel is a significant factor here.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 04:19 AM   #13
Garda

Initial impressions;

Feels great in the light stuff. In about 5 knots, feels very quick compared to a Division 2 board/Lechner, but this is just a gut feeling.

In 10 knots, feels good upwind, like a Division 2 board, but tacks very slowly even compared to Raceboards. Opinion divided over whether it is easier or harder to sail upwind than a Div 2 board. Nice feel, I think.

Downwind; seems considerably tippier than a Division 2 board and harder to gybe. You can feel the fin trying to rise to the surface at planing speed.

Gybing is hard; you can get right back and flare it around, but like an early '80s Div 2 (before they had fully-retracting centreboard) if you angle the board a degree too far, you're going to fall. And there's not much space for the feet back that far! It's nowhere near as easy to gybe as a Lechner.

Overall feel; much more like an early '80s (TC Win, Mistral M1 early version) Div 2 board, from the era before centreboards were fully retracting.

It's great to see manufacturers chasing light wind performance. This could be a really great board for many people. Would still prefer a fully-retracting centreboard version as the Serenity is less versatile than a Division 2 board.
Garda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 06:02 PM   #14
hugh_denholm

Mine arrived this afternoon. Planing on a Freeformula early on, then onto a Carve 133 when the wind picked up. By the time the Serenity had arrived the wind had dropped a little, maybe 8-10 knots out in the bay.
On the way out to the wind (with an 8 metre Gator sail), she sliced through the water beautifully and felt fast for the conditions. Once we hit the wind, she rose up out of the water and was very sprightly. Caught me out once when she railed up on the windward side too far and threw me off.
Tacking was OK but slow, have not tried to gybe yet.
A very different experience, great fun and quite challenging. I am sure it will be ideal for the many many days that we get where is is almost. but not quite strong enough, to plane on a conventional board.
Oh, and the word version looks absolutely gorgeous!
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 06:58 PM   #15
John_Hibbard

Hi Guys,

I've added some more shots of the Serenity to my website. www.k007.co.uk - click on the gallery link on the menu bar and then scroll down the gallery page to find the link for Serenity.

I've sailed the board quite a bit now and its a different experience to anything else on the market. A mix between the old Div II and racboard days with a hint of something special.

Hugh, to speed up the tacks try getting back down the board behind the fin and crank the sail in and rail the board into the wind. It flys up and through the wind, you just have to be quick on your feet to make it around the front in time.

Cheers
John
John_Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2006, 12:37 PM   #16
hugh_denholm

Thanks John
Sadly "light on his feet" is not a description that has been applied to me; but it is great that the Serenity offers some challenges and feels so alive.

Took some shots in the club:
http://www.pbase.com/hughden/serenity

Does anyone know what the two screw inserts on the back of the board are for? My personal plan is to make a camera mounting bracket and take some video; but presumably Starboard had something else in mind in the design.
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 04:56 PM   #17
John_Hibbard

My guess: Fishing Rod holder!!

Nice shots, looks a fair bit warmer where you are than here, although the wind has been really good here in the UK, far too much for the Serentity though!
John_Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 06:38 PM   #18
Randy

How about an attachment point for something to help you tie it down to your car?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 04:31 AM   #19
clarkr2

Default RE: Serenity Sport Tech and Video

Hello all;

I'm presuming that all of the reviews so far are of the wood model of the Serenity.
How about the Sport Tech version re:
- weight/stiffness ratio
- acceleration

Are there any videos available of the Serenity being sailed?
I did a Google search today to no avail.
clarkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 06:43 AM   #20
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Clark,
Not sure there are any videos of the Serenity yet.
I know that a few boards have been sold in the USA that are
Sport Tech.
I have the wood, and the guys in Dahab had the wood.
I was out the other day at Sanibel Causeway in almost zero wind, and
the Serenity continues to amaze me.
8.5 Sailworks NX slm on the Serenity Wood and I was cruising around.
Found a new "aspect" of sailing the Serenity in supr light conditions.
Never really found the current around the first spoil island to be a problem in more wind, but in < 4 knots, the current can become a huge factor very quickly.
When the current is almost as strong as the windspeed, it get&#39;s real interesting.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote