Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 5th January 2007, 12:25 AM   #21

Default RE: Serenity GPS tracks

Hi everyone,
I'd be pretty interested in seeing GPS track files (be it gpx or MapSource format) as Roger was proposing earlier in this thread.
Just out of curiosity to compare with m Hybrid-formula one-year experience.
Who knows if it's really faster, it might overcome the storing / bringing to sea-shore hassle of a 4.55 board in my situtation...
Many thanks in advance
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 02:50 PM   #22

Default RE: Serenity

Hi guys,
Sailed the serenity a couple of times now on Queen Mary Reservoir in the UK in 0-5knots and 4-10knots with an rs10.7m
(probably too big but was sailing formula earlier).
Impressions:
a) beautiful board. Doesn't look so big when you are on the water.
b) really fast. Surprisingly fast in glassy 1 knot conditions with zero sound. I have no doubt this is the fastest board in the light.
c) The serenity planes in a strange way in more wind and surprisingly quickly. It is very responsive to board angle.
d) I was racing some rs700 dingy's on the stronger day and upwind was pointing about the same and doing about the same speed. Serenity rails really well and is very responsive. In the stronger breeze the fin provides so much lift that at one point i completely rolled the board upside down! Easily compensated by flattening off the board.
e) Tacking can be quick if you rail upwind past head to wind and are agressive leaning the board to windward when bearing away. Downwind speed compared to the boats was more difficult to measure as the boats sailed much deeper. In the lighter winds the boats were quicker but when the serenity planed, it was quicker.
f) Gybing remains difficult. I find that as long as the sail pivots about itself so that the weight is always neutral gybing is ok. The main problem i had was that my footwork was rolling the board in the oposite direction thereby counteracting my turn. I think we just need to be very careful about stepping on the centreline.

This board was fantastic fun in conditions i would normally have packed up and gone home. I could see myself having summer cruising sessions or racing on it. Shame there aren't more of these about.

Rich
Old 7th January 2007, 04:09 PM   #23
Arno13

Thanks Rich for sharing your experience.
How much do you weigh ? (as I understand from SB themselves that the heavier the rider, the more challenging the ride...)
Did you ever feel the lack of an adjustable mast track ? Or a retractable dagger ?
Do you think that flattening the board in 10 kts was still close the upper limit of the board ?
If you own the board, it would be great if you could provide us with some gps tracks with mention of the wind, just to get an idea.
Cheers mate
Arno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 04:23 PM   #24
Arno13

One more thing too Rich if you please.
I know the intended range of the Serenity (2-9 kts) but I'm interested in how it handles more wind, as when you go far from your launch point, you can have to make it back even if the wind kicks up for a while (summer sea breeze, maxing out at 15 kts).
If you have any experience
Old 7th January 2007, 09:01 PM   #25
hugh_denholm

I estimate the highest wind I have sailed in was around 12-15 knots with an 8 metre Gator. I am 78 kilos. It was an exciting ride; caused mainly by the chop and waves which kept trying to push the board off course; but it was certainly manageable.
Most fun is the 5-8 knot range when others are struggling to get planing and you go whizzing by!
I have made a camera mount to utilise the screw holes at the back of the board (I think they are intended for mounting wheels) and am capturing video with the camera pointing forward and backward (going to get another Serenity to sail behind me to capture some close-up sailing shots.
Also getting shots from a helmet mounted camera and from just hanging around in the water while a Serenity goes by.
Plan is to put together a short Serenity sailing movie which I will make available for download once it is complete.
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 01:57 AM   #26
Arno13

Quote:
hugh_denholm
Most fun is the 5-8 knot range when others are struggling to get planing and you go whizzing by!
Below 5 kts, is it less likeable because the wind changes direction constantly, is very fluky or rather because the board is slow. Or a combination of the two ?
Do you have any idea of the minimum wind speed in which you can get going ?

Quote:
hugh_denholm
I have made a camera mount to utilise the screw holes at the back of the board (I think they are intended for mounting wheels) and am capturing video with the camera pointing forward and backward (going to get another Serenity to sail behind me to capture some close-up sailing shots.
Also getting shots from a helmet mounted camera and from just hanging around in the water while a Serenity goes by.
Plan is to put together a short Serenity sailing movie which I will make available for download once it is complete.
That would be just great ! Please let us know if you get it done.
As for the two inserts, I guess they might too be used for fishing with a leash (dunno the English equivalent)...

Many thanks !

Arnaud
Old 8th January 2007, 08:35 PM   #27
hugh_denholm

Hi Arnaud
Around 5 kts the fin creates lift, the nose lifts and she (unlike my other boards, the Serenity justifies a "she"!) starts flying along. Below 5 kts she cuts through the water very smoothly and quietly, a serene experience! Unlike a "normal" board in light winds, the Serenity accelerates very quickly from rest; hard to describe the experience unless you try one. If you can feel a breath of wind, she will go!
For me, the speed is irrelevant, the Serenity is just a load of fun from 1 knot upwards and will keep me sane during our many non-planing days.

The movie will be completed at some point in the future. Right now we are in the middle of the north east monsoon in Thailand, which is not normally Serenity weather. Today I was out on my Carve 111 and a newly acquired 2007 model 6.0 Gator; lovely sail. But when the wind dropped at the end of the day I got some nice sunset sailing shots of a friend on a Serenity.

I like your fishing line idea...!
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 04:30 AM   #28

Default RE: serenity

In response to Arno13 questions:
-I weigh 80kg and i was sailing the wood version.
-I've never sailed with an adjustable mast track so i can't comment.
-In stronger winds (say above 10knots) you definitely have a lot of lift from the fin. i suspect that a retractable dagger board would be less efficient in the light winds the board is really designed for. Also, if you retract the dagger board, the serenity would have no fin whatsoever! On balance i think it's best the way it is. It has a pretty good wind range as it is.
-It could probably handle 15knots but it would be a handful as there are no footstraps. I have no idea what it would be like in any sort of waves though. I have only tried it on a reservoir.
-I don't have a gps so can't help there.

This board is a lot of fun in conditions you don't normally have fun in.

Rich
Old 9th January 2007, 04:32 AM   #29
Arno13

Hi Hugh

Quote:
hugh_denholm
Around 5 kts the fin creates lift, the nose lifts and she (unlike my other boards, the Serenity justifies a "she"!) starts flying along.
I saw some pics and it seems very noticeable, reminding me of typical fast kayak behavior.
I do like the "she" point you make

Quote:
hugh_denholm
Unlike a "normal" board in light winds, the Serenity accelerates very quickly from rest; hard to describe the experience unless you try one. If you can feel a breath of wind, she will go!
For me, the speed is irrelevant, the Serenity is just a load of fun from 1 knot upwards and will keep me sane during our many non-planing days.
Sounds gooooood to me as below-formula-planing-treshold days keep coming in handy were I live ! (as everywhere I guess...)

Quote:
hugh_denholm
I like your fishing line idea...!
I do that routinely on my sea kayak and often catch surface fish (do put some lead at the end of the line because even moving at only 3 or 4 knots, the line trails behind not far from the surface (less deep than you might think). Flashy and limp lures will work best. Attaching the line close at hand is important to hook in the fish and getting it out of the water.

By the way, it all makes me think about one more thing : is the board stable enough to be paddled sitting kayak-style ? (just in case wind would die completely).

Many thanks again for your help.
Old 9th January 2007, 04:36 AM   #30
Arno13

Rich ! Thanks for your helpful answer, I guess we were typing just at the same time !
The two of you are gonna make me a convert soon B)