Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th January 2007, 06:58 AM   #31
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Serenity

Hi Rich,
If you are only using the 70 cm fin that is supplied with the Serenity, you might want to try some smaller fins.
I've used a 58 cm race blade and 32-44 cm weed fins on the Serenity and have found that smaller fins actually can make your transitions easier and can help with the balance of the board.
Might not give you that last degree or so upwind, but the Serenity still goes upwind extremely well with a 32 cm Lessacher Duo Weed fin.
Where I've most noticed the smaller fins making things easier in transitions is when you rail the board to go upwind, it does not "grab" quite as hard, so the transition from flat to railed is quite a bit more gentle. This helps alot with jibing as entering the jibe you need to step back on the board and go from slightly lee rail down, back to flat on the water, and then to railed quite a bit the other way to get the board to kinda carve out of the jibe, but it's when the board goes from flat to more railed that the big fin "bites" all at once and you find yourself in the water beside the board.
With smaller fins, there's not such an immediate and strong "bite" so it's far easier to control the roll attitude of the board.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 11:20 AM   #32
steveC

Hi Roger,

What you've identified is very interesting, as it corresponds more realistically in my venue, especially thinking in terms of weedfins. I'm thinking that the Serenity is truly gaining more viability in my mind. Never seen one in my locale, but I'm really hoping for some opportunity to see one out on the water. Interest starts in curious, and sometimes enduring ways.

One thing that helps greatly in the concept is its ability to use smaller sails in the 7.5-8.5 range. That means that a mast in the 490cm range is enough. That's really great news in my mind.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 02:05 PM   #33
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi steveC,
Think of even smaller sails!
I'm sure there is some small difference in top speed and the min. windspeed you can get going in, but in my experience the Serenity goes along quite well with powerful small sails.
I&#39;ve used the 5.6 and 6.6 m2 Sailworks Huckers and been moving along nicely in < 6 knots of wind.
The Serenity powers up almost effortlessly, even with smaller rigs.
I&#39;d expect a good powerful 7.5 m2 rig would be more than enough unless you feel the need for speed or want the last tiny bit of top speed or upwind angle (niether of which I&#39;ve found to be worth going after on the Serenity because it just glides along so nicely with smaller rigs, and the speed and upwind angle is plenty good for "cruizin".
Hope this helps,
Old 9th January 2007, 07:33 PM   #34

The Serenity shape being a pure displacement one, I think it accounts for the fact you mention.
As there never is the need to ride over the bow wave, which requires a great supplement of force, it can get away with less sail area. A parallel can be drawn with displacement hul boats that require much less horsepower, because they&#39;re intended to never go on a plane.
What I find interesting in my mind is that going far away with a relatively small sail and yet going at a good pace is quite secure and may allow one to go on long coastal rides, provided a sudden surge of the wind is not much of problem (being taken by 20-25 kts on a formula with 11,8 or 9,9 sail is not much fun from my experience, as I&#39;m not a fuly-fledged racer).
Applying the well-known formula for theoretical maximum hull speed, it gives the Serenity around 10 km/h, which is not much in itself but may prove interesting, combined with excellent upwind ability, for touring in light weather.
Cheers everyone
Arno13
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 07:57 PM   #35
puffin

Hi Roger,

Will you (or anyone) be doing any demos of the Serenity this Spring on the east coast (OBX or futher north?) I&#39;m still enjoying my ancient superlight (broke the springloaded fin, though) but am considering an upgrade.

-Michael
puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 08:52 PM   #36
hugh_denholm

Arnaud
"By the way, it all makes me think about one more thing : is the board stable enough to be paddled sitting kayak-style ? (just in case wind would die completely)."

Funny you should ask..! After we did our sunset sailing photo session last night, my friend took a paddle and paddled around on the Serenity standing up; he said it was good balance practice!

I took a very blurred and crappy photo:
http://www.pbase.com/hughden/image/72844633
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 05:49 AM   #37

Mine should be in pretty soon. I&#39;ve been wondering if those of you sailing the Serenity miss the footstraps? I realize your not sailing as quicly as a shortboard, but I use the straps while railing my longboard, so I wonder if you miss the straps or not.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 09:52 AM   #38
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

...not nearly as much as you expect, in my (very strap oriented) experience...

B)

Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 10:33 AM   #39
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Guest,
I agree with Ian on this.
I&#39;m also a very "footstrap oriented" sailor, so the Serenity reminds me quite a bit of sailing my old original Mistral Superlite (sort of a Div. II bottom on that board) but the Serenity is significantly narrower so just changing the position of your feet relative to the centerline slightly allows you to rail the board easily without any footstraps.
Again, the big 70 cm fin might at some point be easier to manage with footstraps, but simply changing down to a smaller fin easily corrects for this.
For Michael,
Yes, I will have the Serenity Wood that I have available when I&#39;m in Hatteras, and at the Frisco Woods Windfest, plus other events that are to be determined. Probably Annapolis, Lakes Bay, and some others.
You might work with your local shop/clubs to get some sort of Starboard/Sailworks demo event on Long Island.
Hope this helps,
Old 11th January 2007, 04:48 PM   #40
Tiesda You
Dream Team Designer

Hi everyone,

Well this is certainly an interesting thread.

The inserts in the tail are for the clipperwheel system. Never thought someone would use the inserts for a camera mount. Nice one Hugh.

One of the key principles behind the design was simplicity which is why I went for a daggerboardless design. No daggerboard and no tail fin means that there was also no need for an adjustable mast track: just get on and go. The performance is there for those who wish to tap into it but the simplicity of Serenity is intended to make lightwind sailing appeal to as many people as possible. Adjustable mast tracks and daggerboards can be quite a turn off for many windsurfers.

The other benefit is of course the weight. With no daggerboard case or adjustable mast track the hull can be built pretty light. Light doesn&#39;t only mean more performance but it also makes the whole idea of Serenity windsurfing more appealing and accessible.

Like many boards, the wind range of the board can be expanded with fins of different size. We went for the super-powerful 70cm to make lightwind windsurfing as exciting, challenging and rewarding as possible and there&#39;s no doubt that one of the early reactions to the board will be based on its racing performance compared to Div II boards. So the 70 fin was chosen for its performance.

We also tried fitting footstraps on the board but in the end we went for the strapless option. Within its main wind range the sailor is actually moving around quite alot. The straps, wherever we placed them, tended to be in the wrong place 80% of the time -having your foot strapped in was actually more of a hindrance than a help.

Hope this extra info is of help.

Tiesda
Tiesda You is offline   Reply With Quote