Old 11th January 2007, 09:12 PM   #41
Randy

Default RE: Serenity

Helps a lot. Now if my board would just arrive!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 06:27 PM   #42
hugh_denholm

For what it is worth (probably not a lot), I took my newly acquired GPS onto the water today with my Serenity and a 8.0 Gator
I don't have a windspeed reading, but only a couple of very light sailors on very big boards and sails managed to plane; and then only briefly. The Korean national team were out on the water with small sailors, monster rigs and racing boards and they were just floating about.
Anyway, Serenity was averaging 6 knots with a max speed of 12.4 knots, achieved in a gust with the help of pushing it down a swell at the same time.
Of course the most important point was that I had 90 minutes of fun and involving sailing while everyone floated around or sat on the beach!I think she will exceed 15 knots easily in more windy conditions.
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 03:25 PM   #43
Arno13

Great news Hugh.
Could you please mail me the track file ? (beaudhuin@yahoo.com)
Is it a Foretrex 201 that you purchased ? It gave another dimension to my sessions. One the best purchases I ever made , and I use it for many things now (biking, kayaking, retrieving my fallen sunglasses in the middle of the lake 2 days later !!)
Thanks in advance
Arno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:03 PM   #44
hugh_denholm

Arnaud
Would love to send you the track file; but I bought a Geko 201 which has a PC interface; but is not supplied with an interface cable. The shop did not have a cable so there is one on the way from the USA. Then I can send you some tracks.
Went out today in much higher winds and it was doing over ten knots a few metres from the beach; then a gust and a wave caught me before I was settled in; and I went over the front and punched a big hole in the deck with the boom....<sob>
This is the second accident, first was caused by some underwater debris which stopped the board dead and I was over the front and into the deck with the boom. Sadly I think I will need to put a protector in the boom impact area on the deck. Will spoil the lines but the wood board is not strong enough to withstand a catapult.
I have put a posting on the "ask the team" forum asking for advice on how to stick on the protector.
Very sad to see my lovely wood board damaged; but that&#39;s windsurfing....
Old 14th January 2007, 09:36 PM   #45
Randy

I got a "Jez Knob" a few years ago for my wood Hypersonic, and it works well, and doesn&#39;t take up a lot of space. I&#39;m glad you mentioned your problem, since I hadn&#39;t thought about getting catapulted. I seldom get catapulted on my H105, so I think I&#39;ll move the knob over to my Serenity.

http://www.2ndwind.com.au/products-new/jezknob.asp
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 01:44 AM   #46
Arno13

Hugh
I guess many of us know what you feel in days like that. But soon the initial disappointment will fade away and you won&#39;t even notice the little repairs on the deck (wood can be repaired almost perfectly now). First-hand experience with my wood HS111 and F147 boards. What remains is the big grin each time you ride a good board !

As for the GPS unit : if it is the same for the Geko as with the Foretrex, you&#39;ll need some software to download the tracks from the GPS, as well as sending waypoints (defining them on the computer is easier) to the GPS (mainly but you can also set up routes etc...)
The following might prove useful for you too :
- GSP Action Replay : http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/ : easier to use than to install (you need a n up-to-date Java version, links are provided) ; gives you many many useful analysis tools (speed, VMG). From the 3d version, you can use it to download your tracks and it&#39;s easier to use underlaying maps (pretty cool). Google earth snapshots of your spot are a must-have, quite easy to calibrate and the result is really worth the little effort.
- G7ToWin (http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm) : straightforward, neat and useful freeware (as GPS AR) to convert some file types, merge different tracks into one rapidly, and more.
- Garmin MapSource + charts series : quite costly but a reference for info accuracy.
If find the GPX format is the most handy to deal with.
If you&#39;re interested with speed, set the unit to recording a point every 2 seconds. If you prefer "cleaner" tracks (you&#39;ll soon find out), use for instance a 15 meter recording interval, which with a 10.000 points memory gives you ample storage (but in the kind of weather we&#39;re talking about, 5 or 6 hours sessions do occur).
Thanks again for sharing your experience !
Cheers
Arnaud
Arno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 05:17 PM   #47
hugh_denholm

Randy
Great idea! I had forgotten about this product, might just be what I need to save further repairs; have mailed the supplier.
I find myself sailing more upright than I would on a planing board, and with no footstraps to keep me in place, I think I am more likely to catapult than with a "normal" board. And of course if the fin hits something solid then then the boom head has a good chance of kissing the deck!

Arnaud
Thanks for all the links, will look into them. I like the idea of matching my tracks onto Google Earth; we have quite a hi-res map of the area where I live and sail, and I look forward to keeping a record of my Serenity expeditions.
Spent today with carbon and expoxy and sandpaper; tomorrow should be able to start some painting. It&#39;s therapeutic!
Old 20th January 2007, 10:20 AM   #48
moreforce4

You can also load your tracks directly onto Google Earth, without doing screen caps and georeferencing them in another program. Its the &#39;pro&#39; version or something, and only $20 for the year. A nice option, though gpsaction, and the software through the GPS Speedsailing site would give you more info.

It might be interesting to see a Serenity or perhaps an open class for less than 10 knots of wind on GPSSpeedsailing - see who could get the fastest one hour average etc.

I&#39;ve just bought a Kona (didn&#39;t think I could afford a Serenity, and wanted a board to teach newbies as well), but I&#39;m following the Serentiy with interest. Love to try one out sometime! Sounds like I&#39;ll have to wait for a demo or go somewhere with rentals, because by the sound of it, I wouldn&#39;t lend mine to be catapualted through!

I am pleasantly surprised that it (she?) actually made it to production! There were some doubters I recall.....
moreforce4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 10:40 AM   #49
hugh_denholm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Serenity is now repaired, Jez&#39;s knob is now installed and doing a great job at smashing my toes when I tack (need a Jez&#39;s knob protector!), and have my GPS working fine with GPS Action Replay.
Winds have been messy and offshore the last few days so not sure I have any meaningful GPS tracks to share, but with the standard fin and a reasonably powered up 8 metre sail, she cruises along at around 8-11 knots very comfortably. peak speed in comfortable conditions has been 12.7 knots.
Yesterday was quite windy once you got away from the wind shadow and people were coming back reporting being over-powered on 7 metre sails. It was very choppy too. Not a Serenity day I was advised! However, as someone has bet me $50 I can&#39;t get it to do more than 15 knots, I put on the small fin and a 7 metre Gator and ventured out.
It is much easier to sail with the smaller fin and it felt very comfortable in the chop; but I could feel that the board did not want to go any faster. The peak on the GPS was 13.1. I took her back and swapped for a Carve 133 with the same sail was doing 23 knots. I was impressed with how easy the Serenity was to sail in conditions that it was not intended for.
My conclusion so far is that she does not need much power to get up to a comfortable cruising speed of around 10 knots. Throwing more power at the board is not going to get you going much faster; not that speed was the design intention anyway.
Old 2nd February 2007, 09:18 PM   #50

Hi Hugh

Your remarks describe exactly what a true displacement hull is all about.
Can you give us some more figures on the other side of the wind spectrum ? In very little wind (how much), how fast can you go, can you still point upwind ?
Thanks for sharing.

Arno13
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote