Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 5th February 2007, 11:24 AM   #51
hugh_denholm

Default RE: Serenity

Hi Arnaud
The wind range does not seem to change much with sail size or wind strength. In lighter wind the Serenity cruises along at around 5-8 knots. The best feeling is when the board is just starting to rail up on the big fin, the nose lifts, and you are skimming silently through the water at around 8-10 knots.
With out current wind direction I cannot get a windspeed reading on the land, so cannot give exact windspeeds; but I would guess that the Serenity is moving nicely through the water and can be pushed upwind from around 3 knots.
I did compare sailing tracks for both the large and small fin. Not surprisingly the big fin was going better upwind; but not by much.
Looks like our North East Monsoon is coming to an end so the winds will be lighter over the coming weeks. Will do some more runs and let you know how it goes.
Hugh
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 02:40 AM   #52
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I'd be curious to see a video of someone tacking a Serenity. It has been described as a more drawn out process than people are familiar with.

If I could justify the budget, I would love to get a Serenity for summer sailing. But then I'd have to get two because my father would want to go sailing with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 11:15 PM   #53
hugh_denholm

I have loaded a brief video of the Serenity being tacked and gybed; a whole lot more elegantly than I can manage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NWaI-9u8M
Old 7th February 2007, 11:32 PM   #54
hugh_denholm

And here is another showing Serenity sailing in low winds from both a head view and from a camera mounted on the back of the board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLwmRDIQF6k
Old 14th February 2007, 03:31 AM   #55

Wow ! Looks cool, with some good speed for the conditions !
Pretty neat video, thanks a lot for sharing, can wait to give it a try myself !
Cheers
Arno13
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 01:12 PM   #56
hugh_denholm

Just want to record a thank you to Tiesda You for arranging a pot of paint to match the red/brown stripe on the side of my board; one more step towards making the damage repair invisible!
Now the wind direction is shifting back to south west here in Thailand, we are getting choppy seas and big swells; and the Serenity loves it. There is a constant sense of impending doom as she heads into some substantial waves but she just cuts through them. This is a board where you can have fun not just on the calm, light wind days.
Best recorded speed is now 16.5 knots with the smaller supplied fin. I tried a 390 fin from a Carve too; was fast but the board showed little interest in changing direction!
Old 15th February 2007, 05:18 AM   #57
clarkr2

Default RE: Great videos Hugh

Hugh;

Loved the videos of the Serenity which you posted recently.
Had been searching the internet for something like this for some months now.

Re the "15-10-7-4 knots" video:
Weight of sailor?
Length of fin?
Size of sail?
Music ..name of piece and band?

Clark,
Montr??al
clarkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 01:24 PM   #58
hugh_denholm

Hi Clark, glad you like the little video! Answers to your questions:
79 kilos
The 70 cm fin supplied with the board.
8.5; although I usually use an 8.0 cos it has a 100% carbon mast and is nice and light to handle.
Music is "Wolf like me" from "Return to Cookie mountain", the latest album by a band called TV on the Radio. Shame the video isn't longer so I could play the complete track!
Old 18th February 2007, 02:22 AM   #59
clarkr2

Default RE: Where to test-drive the Serenity?

Hugh;

Thanks for the info on board and music.

I've a North Strike 9.5 and a deep draft, low-wind, North R-type 7.5.
Hopefully, the 7.5, rigged full, will do the trick on the Serenity in 4-5 knots, as I find that size is just more convenient and fun than a 9.5. The fact that I'm 6 foot 1 inch tall and weigh only 150 will help in that respect, I think.

Next step for me, this spring and summer, is to find an on-the-beach wind-surfing centre in the U.S. or Canadian north-east (Cape Cod for example) where I might test-drive the Serenity. If anybody has info on this, kindly let me know.

Clark, Montreal
clarkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 03:10 AM   #60
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Come on down to Hatteras! Roger will be at Windfest in April. It is only a 'few' more hours for you. ;-) Ok, so it is more than a few. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote