Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th October 2009, 01:10 PM   #11
RadiantX

Hi romomac - I've since ordered a 26cm Drake Crossover from the UK which I'm hoping will arrive shortly. Will keep you updated with how I find it after a few sessions on the water.
RadiantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 11:37 AM   #12
romomac

Thanks! Meanwhile, I'm going back out on the 30cm when I get the chance. If I lived on Maui I guess the subject of bigger fins would never come up!
romomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 04:14 AM   #13
Screamer

Romomac
I haven't sailed the Kode (only various Kombats before it) and I've found 30cm a bit to much really. If anything it made the boards SLOWER and less responsive.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 02:52 AM   #14
romomac

Screamer...Thanks. I just removed about 2 cm from the 30...It's probably too much at 30, so might as well try it, "shaved down"... Sadly, I have a 28cm from an old starboard 99...never used much, would be perfect to try, but it's a Tuttle, and the Kode is standard surfing fin mount. Probably end up $pringing for a new 26-28, but am looking around first..
romomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 07:01 AM   #15
switchfoot

RadiantX,

I have been using the MFC K-ONE 24 and 27 with my 5.5 and 6.0's on the 86 Kode. I have to say the 24 is a dream! fast, when and if it slides out.....it pops back in with ease. I have the 27 there for my 6.0, though if i can i will start on the 24 before switching up.

my feeling has always been...board manufacturers make boards....fins manufacturers make fins. as obvious as this sounds as good as some stock fins are they are often the most under rated piece of gear when people start talking boards. your style of riding can literally make or break a fin thus a board. try MFC. i really think you will be bumping and jumping with ease and pleasure.

peace
switchfoot
switchfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 12:01 PM   #16
RadiantX

Thanks switchfoot. Well, for the moment I now have the Drake CrossOver 26cm fin and am hoping to give that a run as soon as the conditions are suitable. I was also looking at the MFC freewave in a 28cm but was a little concerned it may be too big. If the CrossOver doesn't do the job I'll look into the MFC K-One. Cheers!
RadiantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:27 AM   #17
aa25

I found similar issue with 25cm stock fin on Kode 86 (wood) - a bit slidey for freeriding (good in waves though). Anyway, just tried a MFC 28cm freewave fin (bit more freeride in shape). Fantastic improvement for more freeride blasting, chop hops and also looping. 28 is fairly big for this board but sits the board up higher in the water so earlier planing, blistering speed and really drivey feel for busting big airs and loops when blasting along. Loose out on freestyle and manoeuvrability as the big fin is hectic in slidey, turny moves, but if you push a bit harder I find the smooth kode carve is still there. I'll use the 25 if it's wavier freeriding or for lighter wavesailing.
aa25 is offline   Reply With Quote