Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th November 2006, 03:27 AM   #1
letik

Default Mistral Naish 8'11 - any experiences?

Recently got Mistral Naish pro 8'11 (273cm 105L). Wanted to know if anybody had any experiences with this board and if it's a keeper?

Stupid question... I have a carve 37cm fin from JP and 8 meter datona sail. The rig is super lite. I'm about 165 pounds. wondering if I can try using it with this board and fin and how would it feel?
Thanks

letik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 08:35 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Mistral Naish 8'11 - any experiences?

Hi letik,

While I can't talk from experience actually sailing the board, it comes before width started playing an influenial role in shorter boards. Because of its narrower planform, I would really question the viabiltiy of 8.0 sai, even at your weight. My guess of the board's sail size limit is probably 7.0-7.2, and that might be on the generous side. However, sails in the 6.5-6.8 range might be a more suitable conservative upper limit to consider. If I recollect correctly, the board represented Mistral/Naish's largest light wind wave design of the time, but with a rockerline that tended to be bit flatter than a pure wave board to give it some speed and blasting ability. I hope this helps some. Maybe those who spent some time with the board can offer a more specific background about the board.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 08:35 AM   #3
steveC

Hi letik,

While I can't talk from experience actually sailing the board, it comes before width started playing an influenial role in shorter boards. Because of its narrower planform, I would really question the viabiltiy of 8.0 sai, even at your weight. My guess of the board's sail size limit is probably 7.0-7.2, and that might be on the generous side. However, sails in the 6.5-6.8 range might be a more suitable conservative upper limit to consider. If I recollect correctly, the board represented Mistral/Naish's largest light wind wave design of the time, but with a rockerline that tended to be bit flatter than a pure wave board to give it some speed and blasting ability. I hope this helps some. Maybe those who spent some time with the board can offer a more specific background about the board.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 09:55 AM   #4
GEM

You can probably squeeze a 7.5 if it's light. Steve is right, though, it's pre-wide style.
Positives: very fast, nice jibing when powered up, good jumping ability.
Negatives: less stable, doesn't tolerate bad footwork, very fragile.
For moderate wind, I really like this board as narrow-style boards go.

I use my 8'7" more as a pure wave board, and in fact the dimensions are similar to an Acid 7x (leaving rocker / rail out of it). I've ridden the 8'7" (which is substantially smaller) with a 6.5 and it's OK but really likes to be more powered up and I prefer riding it in 5.5 - 4.0; never really pushed the upper limit of an 8'11" since it was borrowed. Definitely a 7.0, probably 7.5, I doubt it'll be good with an 8.0.

Another board I really liked of that vintage / series was the Naish Fish. They were all great riders, but light and fragile.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Nathan

Love It, the board was and still is fun to ride
I've still got mine (although it has been repaired a few times ) and use it regularly.

Biggest sail i use is a 6.6 and JP fin 29cm. At the time of release on the market the recommended max sail size was 7.5 minimum sail size 5.0

Nathan
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 11:49 PM   #6
letik

Nathan, thanks! I wonder what will happen if I put my
datona 8.0 (very light rig) on it and let's say 37 cm JP
freeride/carve fin. What's the maximum fin size you can use
with it?
My board is actually almost new and was only used several times
before i got it. The nose worries me if hit with a boom!

Thanks
letik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Windman

Goor morning, Letik,

That whole series of boards were produced with a very thin nose and many of them suffered dings and worse. As a suggestion, you might get the longest mast protector available, then fit it upside down, just below the boom. Hopefully its length will cover the nose area that has been a problem.

Would have to say though, that the swing weight of a 7.5/8.0 is pretty high and the board's nose is thin, so........

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Windman
Windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 07:24 AM   #8
GEM

In fact, I dinged the nose of my board several times, never in a launch, but always when the wind died and schlogging in bobbing water I just fell off and the mast dinged the nose when it hit the board. Afther the 2nd or 3rd time, I bit the bullet and simply reinforced the nose of the board a little. It's so light, I never really notice the added weight. But that's how fragile it is. Very fragile, and I don't think the biggest possible rig is a great idea. I think a 7.0 would be the biggest I'd ride on it.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 11:09 AM   #9
zots

Try the thing yourself!!!!
zots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 04:42 PM   #10
n1kl05

Hi,
I used to have an 8 11 and liked it but it has some weaknesses.
I have to say that I live in Hungary/Central Europe and mainly used that board on lakes with 2-4 ft high waves/chops and that one was my only board therefore I used it with quite wide sail range (4.7 to 6.7).
Yes, it`s fast and jumps well but got very nervous in overpowered conditions. It carried my largest sail (NP diablo 6.7) pretty ok though I didn`t feel it ideal to this board. I`d recomment to use it with a 6 or so.
The original fin (as far as I remember it was a 27cm Naish FR) is not the best one. Got spin out easily and had very bad upwind ability. I changed it to a bigger Maui FR (31cm) and it was much better and helped the large sail size also.

It is FRAGILE. I managed to crash it`s nose at the first time on the water and had to have it repaired.

I decided to change it to a Kombat 95 and buy a bigger one (120 Xcite) for lighter days. These 2 gives me better coverage on windy days here and have better characteristics.

Laszlo
n1kl05 is offline   Reply With Quote