Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th September 2009, 05:41 AM   #1
Windaveski

Thumbs down Wood Construction issues?

I am considering a Kode 80 and would probably go with the wood construction. I have seen several wood starboards with sun/weather damaged decks. The surface (epoxy?) seems to weather and then flake off. The wood underneath discolors. Is this a common problem? Is this a cosmetic only problem or can the wood get wet/rotten? What maintenance or repair is recommended to resolve this?
Thanks
Windaveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
carvesalot

http://www.star-board.com/forum/show...ight=acid+wood

several other threads are highlighted on the above one.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Ken

My solution to this cosmetic problem is a dab of polyurethane on the light spots. The color doesn't match real well, but it protects the exposed wood. I am sure that if I tried, I could find a better color match.

I have had four wood boards and usually keep them 3-4 years, so I have had these bare spots show up on all the boards, usually after about two years. Not a big deal in my opinion and the newer model boards seem to do better than the older models.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
carvesalot

I think if you read the threads above you will find some "insight" on your question.
I'm considering the Kode as well, but would rule out the wood version.
Old 25th September 2009, 06:09 AM   #5
MartinJE

Hi, I have a 2006 FT158 wood which with time showed "damp" damage (particularly at high spots where moisture would have trapped against the board bag) - when I got a 2008 iS122 wood, before sailing I coated the "wood" area with 2 coats of exterior/marine grade varnish. To-date no signs of damage or separation of the coats (board stored similarly to the FType - i.e. badly!). Only wished I gone with one coat, as the non-slip is slightly too slippy now! For what it's worth ...
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote